Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Beginning of the end, well, not quite the beginning that was about a year ago.

:apple: RIP.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Samsung has basically just stolen everything from Apple at this point. Samsung will NOT "be more stronger" - it will be more weaker.

Samsung tries to build anything and everything in the world. They even make the garbage trucks to cart it all away after it breaks. Apple focuses like a laser on nothing but insanely great products and then recycles them responsibly.

It is not about who invents something for the world. Look at Microsoft. Did it invent GUI?
When I said Samsung build, I mean it manufacters.

If you think Apple invents things for the world, I would like to tell you that you should educate yourself with this video. It is about truth that did Apple really invent anything? You will be surprised.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0&desktop_uri=/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
At some point Apple will just find a new supplier and it'll hurt Samsung more in the end.

Good job.
Actually, I would bet that at this point it wouldn't hurt Samsung's feeling to sever all ties with Apple. I think that they should have gone for a 50% or higher increase.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Just read through this thread.

Samsung being dicks this time and still Apple are the bad guy?

This site = 80% Apple hate 20% Apple love.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I have to call it out when I see people saying "This is the end for Samsung, This is the end for Apple. The writing is on the wall!"

In reality both companies are too big to fail anytime soon. Let's all be realistic. The falling out in the Apple-Samsung supplier relationship will hurt the finances of BOTH companies. But the hurt will be short term. Samsung will move on and find other customers. And Apple will eventually find a replacement supplier that's more amicable and more reasonable (they have been working on this transition for over a year now).

The hurt (for both Apple and Samsung) will be short term, possibly denting their profit margins a bit. The stock investors to both corporations will feel the effects (because stock performance is highly correlated to a company's profitability), but most consumers probably won't notice the effects.

Both companies have so much cash reserves that neither will be crippled or collapse due to this. They will move on and continue to be industry giants for years to come.

Let's cut out the hyperbole and the drama-queening here.

When did I say this was the end of either company? You need to learn how to read.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Ok, that's a very simple question. "Is it moral to steal?"

Now, give me a single answer to that question which holds true across the following scenarios:
a) You're stealing food so that your child won't starve.
b) You're stealing medicine so that your child will recover from illness sooner.
c) You're stealing a Porche because you want it.

One "yes or no" question with more than 1 answer. The world isn't binary, even when the questions are formulated as such. Sometimes the answer to a "yes or no" question is "maybe".
You know, this OT line is my fault. So I'll stop here since this has nothing to do with the topic. Nobody has to agree. I am a realist. I am REALLY a realist. Not like, "oh, I don't know if my team is going to win this Sunday, they kinda suck this year." I mean, completely based in what actually happens, possibly autistic, black and white, REAList. (and getting worse because of what I see around me, or better, depending on your viewpoint)

Here is my point more directly, and morals is actually the best way to discuss it, good job by Sam to get right to it. And please note, I am not getting into other people's actions, morals is far more introspective. I'm not looking at you, you can do that.

People like to say morals are a grey area. But they aren't, not at the end, not when you really get right down to it. Using your examples...
  1. On the practical part...There is no maybe, you either steal those items or you don't. If you go back and forth for 10 years trying to decide if you will steal the Porsche next door, even just for a joyride, you decided No. That isn't maybe, reality gives the answer you chose, you never did it. Thinking about it is not a decision.
  2. On whether it's moral, take the stealing bread when starving example, let's say a person stole it. Everyone is different as to their moral specifics, of course. But they still come down to 2 choices. Either they think what they did is moral, or they don't. If they don't, they probably beat themselves up about it, going back and forth, "was it right" in their thoughts if not daily, frequently for years later. Guess what: they decided it was immoral. That's why the conscience is beating them up. (it's just ego and selfishness that makes us want to deny it, in this scenario)

IOW: the whole "grey area" is actually No. All the back and forth thoughts people go through is just deciding which side you fall on, it doesn't mean there are infinite answers. You WILL draw a line. And, IMO, the best thing to do is to own up to it. Not to me, to yourself. Sam said earlier he felt sorry for me. Wrong direction, I assure you. I know who I am and I don't lie to myself, not for very long, anyway. If I make what I feel is an immoral decision, then I can deal with it more easily than I see others doing. Whether I go positive or negative, I deal with what I have/n't done, in reality. (side point: if you are beating yourself up over moral decisions, a binary question for you. Do you like yourself? Tip: decide, then work towards the positive if necessary)

----------

I don't do that.
I may actually believe YOU. But try my test.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
According to another Korean news paper, 20% price increase is not only a wrong rumor but also impossible because Apple and Samsung made a contract before the production starts. The original source, Chosun Ilbo, quoted by macrumors is similar to "The Sun" in UK, Believe It or Not, having no credentials.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
If you think Apple invents things for the world, I would like to tell you that you should educate yourself with this video. It is about truth that did Apple really invent anything? You will be surprised.

<covers eyes & puts fingers in ears>lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

----------

So any company that increases prices are dicks?

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I understand that Apple wouldn't switch to OMAP, but I was suggesting that Apple might have a partner in chip production. TI opened a semi conductor plant in China 2 years ago, and TI is also expanding in Texas as is Apple. Apple has the designs and the new lead designer, and TI has the manufacturing base.

Oh okay, I see what you mean.

That's not possible because while you're right that TI has chipmaking capabilities, they're all for TI's analog chips. So their manufacturing capability just isn't compatible.

In fact, OMAP is manufactured outside of TI.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4214774/Upset-TI-slams-Samsung-s-foundry-efforts

----------

I have several pcs with AMD processors. How do they not manufacture chips?

AMD designs processors. GlobalFoundries manufactures them.

Now, if you go back a several years, GlobalFoundries sprung out of AMD. So if you've got old AMD chips, then yeah, AMD manufactured those. But they don't manufacture anymore.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Oh okay, I see what you mean.

That's not possible because while you're right that TI has chipmaking capabilities, they're all for TI's analog chips. So their manufacturing capability just isn't compatible.

In fact, OMAP is manufactured outside of TI.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4214774/Upset-TI-slams-Samsung-s-foundry-efforts

Well then. There goes that. I honestly thought that TI was responsible for all of their chip manufacturing. I just think that would be a great arrangement.

Plus, how cool would it be to eventually see a Ti-84 app?

Badbrad17

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012

I really believe that the average person is starting to dislike Apples behavior with all the court battles. If this was the first punch to be thrown then it would be reversed. But Apple has decided to start with fights with everyone (including many innocent people and companies) People have a reasonable tolerance for "business practices" in the name of getting ahead. But Apple has proven to be unreasonable in the eyes of average people. When this happens the vibe gets to be a constant justification by Apple fans rather than a "we all can play fair" in the technology playground. Motorola and Microsoft are battling things out right now as well but no one is acting unreasonable. It's just business.

Apple needs to be careful before everyone starts to hate them. Bad press constantly becomes bad business.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I really believe that the average person is starting to dislike Apples behavior with all the court battles. If this was the first punch to be thrown then it would be reversed. But Apple has decided to start with fights with everyone (including many innocent people and companies) People have a reasonable tolerance for "business practices" in the name of getting ahead. But Apple has proven to be unreasonable in the eyes of average people. When this happens the vibe gets to be a constant justification by Apple fans rather than a "we all can play fair" in the technology playground. Motorola and Microsoft are battling things out right now as well but no one is acting unreasonable. It's just business.

Apple needs to be careful before everyone starts to hate them. Bad press constantly becomes bad business.

Yep, Apple, the RIAA of the smartphone market. I flat out won't buy music that is backed by the RIAA and soon enough Apple will join that list.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Scamsung motto "We make crap, so we need to charge you more for something you designed because we are not smart enough to do it ourselves"

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
This is a bad move for Samsung.

Apple is reducing their dependence on Samsung and buying from other suppliers. Plus Apple is one of Samsung's largest client.

I don't agree. Apple's been trying to look for other manufacturers to supply them with A6 chips prior to this and as the article says, Apple had no real choice but to settle with Samsung.

Samsung's doing the smartest thing that can possibly be done, charge Apple up the ying-yang before Apple finds their replacement.

If I knew you were shopping to replace me as your supplier, I would likely raise my prices as high as I could before that change happens, I would've gone with 40% instead of 20%, but that's me. Whether I choose to keep the prices the same or raise them makes no difference since Apple's looking to sever their ties with Samsung.

dreamerof

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
@ $3.50 per chip increase. Apple only needs to sell just under 300k units for Samsung to make-up the $1B and then some. That will happen by between Black Friday and Christmas. Question is, how much harder are they going to push on their other suppliers to manufacture chips. It it a retaliatory price hike? Most likely.

I can see the Harvard Business Review articles now. Should Apple have sued Samsung? What would have been different if Apple didn't and allowed it's competitors to copy their designs? Oy.

Try using a good calculator next time.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Dude, they're not really "haters". They're either Samsung investors, or Samsung (or Google) confederates. They're not emotional about this. They are just doing their job. The desire to have AAPL stocks sink, shorting AAPL, is part of their job. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Dude, they're not really "haters". They're either Samsung investors, or Samsung (or Google) confederates. They're not emotional about this. They are just doing their job. The desire to have AAPL stocks sink, shorting AAPL, is part of their job. :D

I see the smiley face. So I'll just assume that whole statement is sarcasm. Because - you know - one stock doesn't have to go down for the other to go up.

And most people criticizing Apple in these forums have a lot of Apple tech - are invested and want Apple to do well. Which is why they CAN be critical of Apple. And should be.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
120 billion in the bank, I suspect it will go well as Apple migrates off of Samsung and Samsung loses their biggest customer.

sorry Samsung Global are their biggest customer

----------

Samsung has basically just stolen everything from Apple at this point. Samsung will NOT "be more stronger" - it will be more weaker.

Samsung tries to build anything and everything in the world. They even make the garbage trucks to cart it all away after it breaks. Apple focuses like a laser on nothing but insanely great products and then recycles them responsibly.

{phones rings}"hello" "It's for you" Your village just called they need their idot back"

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Slightest hint that Apple will switch to another supplier, Samsung put's price up as Apple are totally dependant at the moment. Clever, I guess.

They should have put it up 50% if that were the case :p

----------

It is not about who invents something for the world. Look at Microsoft. Did it invent GUI?
When I said Samsung build, I mean it manufacters.

But they have.... Just because someone has they same name, or some similar tech doesn't mean Apple didn't invent anything (I'm not an iSheep, have nothing Apple apart from the new EarBuds

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/14/3644716/samsung-iphone-ipad-processor-price-rise-denial-hankyoreh
Samsung reportedly denies iPhone and iPad processor price hike
Share​

A Samsung official has reportedly denied claims that the company has raised the price it charges Apple for its iPhone and iPad processors by almost 20 percent. Speaking with Korean newspaper The Hankyoreh, the unnamed official added that prices were agreed upon at the beginning of each year and "aren't changed easily."
Monday's report in rival paper Chosun claimed Apple and Samsung have a supply agreement that runs through to 2014, and unless "special cost factors" were involved, unit prices have traditionally stayed level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.