Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1
LARRYSE
macrumors newbie

font in tableviews

Hello,
I have a tableView where I set the cell height dynamically with

Code:
-(CGFloat)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView heightForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
    NSMutableArray *itemToSize = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init ];    
    [itemToSize addObject:cat.question];
    [itemToSize addObject:cat.answer];    
    NSString *item = [itemToSize objectAtIndex:indexPath.row];

CGSize size = [ item
                   sizeWithFont:[UIFont systemFontOfSize:17]
                   constrainedToSize:CGSizeMake(200,CGFLOAT_MAX)];

return size.height + 12;
}
Now if I put the font line to change the font in the cellForRowAtIndex method it messes up the some cells with lots of extra space because the heightForRow method is not using the new font type. How can I size cells using the non default font?

Can I set the font in the heightForRowAtIndexPath?
LARRYSE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYSE View Post
Now if I put the font line to change the font in the cellForRowAtIndex method it messes up the some cells with lots of extra space because the heightForRow method is not using the new font type. How can I size cells using the non default font?

Can I set the font in the heightForRowAtIndexPath?
I wouldn't recommend setting the font in heightForRowAtIndexPath, since you have no reference to the cell at that point, and looking one up could be costly. Instead, I suggest having the cellForRowAtIndexPath calculating and storing the desired row height and then having heightForRowAtIndexPath simply look that value up.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
PhoneyDeveloper
macrumors 68030

There are various ways to do this. You could store the font or the font size in your data model. Then look it up in heightForRowAtIndexPath and use it.

This whole business with heightForRowAtIndexPath is always difficult.
PhoneyDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneyDeveloper View Post
You could store the font or the font size in your data model.
Normally, I wouldn't recommend this. Best to keep your data model and UI needs as separate as possible. Kinda the MVC mantra. Of course, if you wanted to integrate a UI model...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

The problem is timing.
heightForRowAtIndex is called on every index before cellForRowAtIndex is even called to create the first cell. Just after numberOfRowsInSection. Plus the tableview will do a full sanity check of the table data including cell heights every time you do any updates as well. It needs that number early and often if you update your tables much.

Sure keep them out of the datasource but you need to be able to derive the height direct from the datasource to get it work.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 PM   #6
PhoneyDeveloper
macrumors 68030

@dejo, if there's some other heuristic to decide what font goes with what row that's fine. It doesn't have to be in the data model.

The data models that I refer to exist only in the view controller. It can include a string for the row, images for the row, and other info that needs to be set in cellForRowAtIndexPath. But not every part of that would be saved permanently. The point is to calculate all the info that will be displayed one time and then save it in the view controller's data model.
PhoneyDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneyDeveloper View Post
The data models that I refer to exist only in the view controller. It can include a string for the row, images for the row, and other info that needs to be set in cellForRowAtIndexPath. But not every part of that would be saved permanently. The point is to calculate all the info that will be displayed one time and then save it in the view controller's data model.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming