Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I don't know where these are coming from either. I asked someone at the store if she would recommend coming in close to closing hours to wait to purchase leftovers instead of having them throw them on the site.

I am doubtful of an email tomorrow morning about my pickup.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
So I think I finally scored a 16GB black mini last night!

This was my fourth night in a row to try the online reservation system, so I am still a bit skeptical and am ready for something to go wrong. After submitting my order I did quickly receive an email from Apple saying they are processing my order, but I still have yet to receive the email telling me it is ready for pick-up today. So I have my fingers crossed and will play the waiting game.

Interestingly enough, the previous three nights I saw inventory show up online immediately at 10pm, but last night I only saw more 32GB models show up at 10. I assumed I was again screwed, but I kept clicking and then around 10:05 many of the stores near me finally showed stock of 16GB black. I was pretty stunned. So I did my best to snatch one up. We'll see if it worked or not.

Hey OrangeBlueDevil, did you find one in Houston yet?

applefan022

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2010
Little Rock, AR
Has anybody found that the only allocate so many for 10pm reservations? Or is it they put all their stock on there? Was wondering if they actually had walk-in stock?

econoar

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Finally found a 16gb black in Boston last night around 10:05pm. Got a ready for pickup email around 9am this morning.

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
Has anybody found that the only allocate so many for 10pm reservations? Or is it they put all their stock on there? Was wondering if they actually had walk-in stock?

They somehow had walk-in stock at my Apple Store after I tried reserving the night before.

xtalicious

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
They somehow had walk-in stock at my Apple Store after I tried reserving the night before.

I doubt they release the full stock to the pickup in-store system. Walk-in traffic is very important to Apple, especially considering the premium they place on retail locations.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Walked by the store today, and decided to walk in and ask them. Surprisingly they had all models in stock (except 3g ofc.)

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
When I spoke to my local apple store they said they have on a daily basis stock for the reservation system and stock for walk ins. I got my 16gig white mini through the reservation system. It didn't come up at my local store so I just got it at the first store that said it had it.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Successfully picked-up my reserve iPad Mini 16GB black last night after work. Definitely loving it. And it's nice to know that the reservation system did actually work for me. I had my doubts, but after several nights of trying, the fourth night was the charm. I was in and out of the store in about 7 minutes.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I tried reserving a black 32GB online before 10pm, no luck. Tried again at 11, nope. One more time after 12, YES! So today I pick it up in store. Will they hold it the entire day? I can't get to the store til later tonight.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I tried reserving a black 32GB online before 10pm, no luck. Tried again at 11, nope. One more time after 12, YES! So today I pick it up in store. Will they hold it the entire day? I can't get to the store til later tonight.

I called Apple about this but accidentally got routed through to their call center. The person I asked there said they would hold reserved items in the store for 7 days. I didn't believe this was true for an in-demand launch product, so I tried again and got through to someone at the actual store. They wouldn't tell me a specific deadline, but seemed like it wasn't a beat-the-clock kind of situation. I said I thought I could be there by 7pm or so, and they said it was no problem, of course this may vary by store. If you can't get there before 6-7pm after reserving one, then I would call your store and find out how long they will hold it, just to be safe.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I called Apple about this but accidentally got routed through to their call center. The person I asked there said they would hold reserved items in the store for 7 days. I didn't believe this was true for an in-demand launch product, so I tried again and got through to someone at the actual store. They wouldn't tell me a specific deadline, but seemed like it wasn't a beat-the-clock kind of situation. I said I thought I could be there by 7pm or so, and they said it was no problem, of course this may vary by store. If you can't get there before 6-7pm after reserving one, then I would call your store and find out how long they will hold it, just to be safe.

Thanks. Called my store and they said they will hold it for 2 weeks, lol. I'll go tomorrow morning and not deal with the traffic tonight!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I walked into my local store shortly after opening today but they have none of any model in stock, hadn't gotten a shipment. Haven't seen anything available for pickup at any store within maybe ~100 miles on the website or app all week.

Update 11/12: I checked at about 9:58pm and saw 16GB Wifi black models in stock at several nearby stores and placed an order on one.

Last edited:

crimson090

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
So this is a fairly frustrating way to get one, but I lucked out last night. Here is what I found from trying for the past 4 nights:

- The actual option for store pickup appeared around 9:40PM EST. I don't know if the inventory was actually refreshed at that point, but you could start checking.

- Availability was extremely limited. Over 4 nights I checked about 60 stores (3 different zip codes). Over those 4 nights I saw a total of 3 stores (out of 60) that briefly had availability for a 16gb mini.

- The timing for when an actual store showed available was random. One night I found a store listed at 9:55. Last night mine showed up at 10:06. So it definitely doesn't refresh for everyone at 10:00PM exactly.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I have a mini that I was thinking of returning. There is a sharp raised edge where the champher meets the glass on the upper left side. If I bring it back to apple store what are the odds that I will walk out with a replacement? Is it better to do a full return and get a new one or to just get a replacement t under the warranty? Is this too small an issue for apple to even care about?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
^ I'm sure they have few in stock. Last Thursday I went to the Apple store to exchange my ipad mini 16 GB to ipad mini 32 GB and they had it in stock. Didn't had to reserve for an exchange.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
^ I'm sure they have few in stock. Last Thursday I went to the Apple store to exchange my ipad mini 16 GB to ipad mini 32 GB and they had it in stock. Didn't had to reserve for an exchange.

I'm at the apple store now setting up my iPad mini 32 gb. Even though there are non in stock the apple store keeps a few of each on hand for situations of exchange or replacement. So it worked out. I also returned the POS Smart Cover some I need to go look for a case now.

glamgal

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
I finally got a white 16GB mini in Dallas today. Reserved it last night. I started checking around 9:55pm and one finally showed up at the Stonebriar mall in Frisco at 10:04pm. This was my third or fourth night checking inventory. Pretty painless process overall.

andrewmcd11

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
hope this helps someone:

called and ordered a 16gb black from MacMall yesterday morning. Was delivered 26 hours later.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
hope this helps someone:

called and ordered a 16gb black from MacMall yesterday morning. Was delivered 26 hours later.

How much is shipping and do they charge sales tax?

Edit: Found out free shipping is 3-7 days and no sales tax. ^^Did you pay the $12 2 day shipping or choose free ground?

Last edited:

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Ordered from macmall just now. I am in Indiana. I will post when I receive it...I opted for the free UPS ground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.