Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Closed Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Heilage
macrumors 68030

An Official petition to secede from Texas?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/BmdWCP8B

I mean really?
Heilage is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilage View Post
I will chalk that up to pretty SOP for Texas. You need to understand Texans in general and understand that we do take great pride in our state. I want to see every legislative session in the state a bill goes threw about seceding and becoming its own country again. Has been for as long as I can remember
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
AhmedFaisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilage View Post
Considering that it would mean 38 less electoral votes for Republicans, I'd say go for it.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4
leenak
macrumors 65816

It'd also mean that they could no longer host our military bases or government contractors. I'm not sure how big a blow to their economy that would be but I imagine it would sting a bit.
leenak is offline   4
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Well, that eliminates the problem with 51 stars on the flag if Puerto Rico joins.
Also, 38 less electoral votes in the bag for the GOP.
Anuba is offline   8
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:58 PM   #6
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

I also see similar petitions to withdraw from Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia (twice), Missouri (twice), Tennessee, Michigan, New York, Colorado, New Jersey, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, and Louisiana.

Texas leads in the number of signatures, ~21,000. Followed by Louisiana with ~14,000.

citizenzen is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
nebo1ss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
I will chalk that up to pretty SOP for Texas. You need to understand Texans in general and understand that we do take great pride in our state. I want to see every legislative session in the state a bill goes threw about seceding and becoming its own country again. Has been for as long as I can remember
" Becoming its own country again" What are you going to call it "Mexico".
nebo1ss is offline   3
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I also see similar petitions to withdraw from Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia (twice), Missouri (twice), Tennessee, Michigan, New York, Colorado, New Jersey, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, and Louisiana.

Texas leads in the number of signatures, ~21,000. Followed by Louisiana with ~14,000.

Too bad their favorite party would never let them go.

They should've made that a robo-call in the red states... "If you vote for the black dude, he promises to issue an emancipation proclamation that sets the entire South free."
Anuba is offline   2
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:06 PM   #9
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
" Becoming its own country again" What are you going to call it "Mexico".
No, it'd be called The Republic of Mexico, again.
skottichan is offline   1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:11 AM   #10
B777Forevar
macrumors 6502a

New England wants to separate too.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/6C0fZq4T

edit:

lel

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-them/ZbMjcwPf
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:12 AM   #11
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Considering that it would mean 38 less electoral votes for Republicans, I'd say go for it.
Texas does not always go GOP in elections
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:26 AM   #12
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Texas does not always go GOP in elections
Not always, but every POTUS election since '80 and most POTUS elections since the end of WWII. It seams around the time of the civil rights movement Texas went Red when it came to presidential elections.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:35 AM   #13
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
No, it'd be called The Republic of Mexico, again.
Oh, what a pretty weaving of a story this would be were they to secede.

First, there goes their branch of the National Guard, plus all four branches of the military.. scratch that.. all 5 branches, if you include the Coast Guard.

They would also lose ICE and border patrol from the Fed, but if they have the money, they can do that on their own..

Wait.. didn't someone here say that their budget is balanced from the federal stimulus package? That means they would be indebted to the US Government and need to pay that back.

So they'd be in the red before even starting their new country. Then take in to consideration, say, those drug cartels from Mexico, setting up shop in Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, Reynosa, and Ciudad Juarez, who could just trip the light fantastic across the Rio Grande and "invade". Without that military, they'd be helpless..

But wait! Didn't the Monroe Doctrine say something to the effect that any attempts to colonize or interfere with states in N. or S. America would be treated as an act of aggression requiring US intervention? And didn't the Bush Doctrine call a pre-emptive strike fair game?

So by seceding, we could eventually blow up this new country because we are protecting them, and do it before it is needed.

well played logic, Texas. We'll give it a shot, except we'll save Austin and leave you the Real Housewives of Houston.

BL.
bradl is offline   1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:52 AM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6

California had been a hothead of splitting in two for a long time. So has Oregon .

Secession talk is nothing new. No state would do that.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:55 AM   #15
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
-.- wow, I need a proofreader. in my previous post I meant to type "Republic of Texas" and instead, I typed "Republic of Mexico".
skottichan is offline   1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:07 AM   #16
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:

Did they count the number of X's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
-.- wow, I need
a proofreader. in my previous post I meant to type "Republic of Texas" and instead, I typed "Republic of Mexico".
Maybe the cartels will try to annex Texas.

"Sorry guys, you're on your own now." = U.S. Armed Forces
iJohnHenry is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:19 AM   #17
AhmedFaisal

Quote:

So basically the Confederates are trying to tell us 200 years of us trying to evolve them from their bigoted ****** hating roots has failed. Fair, let's get rid of them. To paraphrase from Edward Longshanks: The problem with the South is that it's full of Southerners....

Not that I am surprised... Some of them still are flying the slavery swastika on government buildings....
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:24 AM   #18
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

The petition isn't really "official". Anybody with an email address can make a petition at that site and anybody that knows how to create an email account can sign it. You don't need to be of legal decision making age or a person from Texas or a unique individual to sign or resign the petition. It's just an attention cry and would likely have happened no matter who won the Presidency.

There is also a group called the Republic of Texas with about 40,000 active members who doesn't even believe Texas is legally part of the United States. That has nothing to do with the Presidency.

Nothing is going to happen because of this petition.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:39 AM   #19
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
To paraphrase from Edward Longshanks: The problem with the South is that it's full of Southerners....
Shut up. I'm pretty cool. Occasionally rad.
Renzatic is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:49 AM   #20
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Edward Longshanks
Ooooh... best not bring 'im up. You do realise that Mel Gibson will now be along any minute...
jeremy h is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:50 AM   #21
classicaliberal
macrumors regular

Quote:
So basically the Confederates are trying to tell us 200 years of us trying to evolve them from their bigoted ****** hating roots has failed. Fair, let's get rid of them. To paraphrase from Edward Longshanks: The problem with the South is that it's full of Southerners....

Not that I am surprised... Some of them still are flying the slavery swastika on government buildings....
It's always so entertaining to me that liberals who often pride themselves on being 'open minded' and 'accepting of others', are the single most openly bigoted group when it comes to someone simply living in a different geographic area than them (namely, the South). Usually liberals talk about these areas as if it's one giant monolith...

I wonder if AhmedFaisal would care to explain how referring to anyone in the South as "basically the Confederates ... their bigoted ****** hating roots" is substantially different than the way a white supremacist talks about blacks or the way a religious zealot talks about homosexuals. They're all ignorant, offensive, disgusting, and below any level of dignity I'd expect from someone living such a blessed relatively care-free life as we enjoy in modern times.

One other thing... the states created the federal government, not the other way around. If they actually do want to secede, that is their right... just as it was the united States' right to secede from Britain. People throughout history have proven again and again their natural right to be governed as they see fit. Attempt to limit this ability most often lead to bloodshed and inevitable loss on the side attempting to reign in the secession.
classicaliberal is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:06 AM   #22
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaliberal View Post
It's always so entertaining to me that liberals who often pride themselves on being 'open minded' and 'accepting of others', are the single most openly bigoted group when it comes to someone simply living in a different geographic area than them (namely, the South). Usually liberals talk about these areas as if it's one giant monolith...

I wonder if AhmedFaisal would care to explain how referring to anyone in the South as "basically the Confederates ... their bigoted ****** hating roots" is substantially different than the way a white supremacist talks about blacks or the way a religious zealot talks about homosexuals. They're all ignorant, offensive, disgusting, and below any level of dignity I'd expect from someone living such a blessed relatively care-free life as we enjoy in modern times.

One other thing... the states created the federal government, not the other way around. If they actually do want to secede, that is their right... just as it was the united States' right to secede from Britain. People throughout history have proven again and again their natural right to be governed as they see fit. Attempt to limit this ability most often lead to bloodshed and inevitable loss on the side attempting to reign in the secession.
Fantastic post.

If the people of Texas stupidly decided they wanted to leave the Union, why shouldn't they be able to?
eric/ is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:11 AM   #23
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Nothing is going to happen because of this petition.
Didn't stop me from signing it myself, even though I don't actually want then to secede. I just think it's a discussion worth having. I often sign petitions to get things on the ballot I may not fully agree with, but think are worthy of discussion. In this case I want to see the response.

FWIW Gov. Perry has come out against it. http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.c...ecession.html/

B
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:17 AM   #24
leenak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Fantastic post.

If the people of Texas stupidly decided they wanted to leave the Union, why shouldn't they be able to?
Because of oil. No way we'd let them go.
leenak is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:20 AM   #25
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Puerto Rico voted to join. Maybe we can hold a national referendum to vote somebody out so PR can slip in. Republicans might be thrilled we won't have to remake the flag in that case :-). Personally I vote Mississippi.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues