Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:42 PM   #126
AHDuke99
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
I just bought the Steelseries Sensei. Why on earth did they make the Steelseries Engine only for one mouse on the mac and not their flagship mouse? I bought the Steelmouse plugin for the Mac but it would have been nice to have the official drivers from SteelSeries.
AHDuke99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:20 PM   #127

And I still CANNOT make any button programming work with my Cyborg RAT 7...it's amazing. Any possible advice?
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 09:37 PM   #128
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
And I still CANNOT make any button programming work with my Cyborg RAT 7...it's amazing. Any possible advice?
I wouldn't use their software, more dodgy then Razer's software. Use steermouse or usboverdrive instead, it will work a little better.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:51 PM   #129
yalag
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know where I can download the Razer Imperator OSX driver? I tried the one from the support site but it does not recognize the mouse.
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:54 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
I wouldn't use their software, more dodgy then Razer's software. Use steermouse or usboverdrive instead, it will work a little better.
But USBOverdrive doesn't even recognize the RAT 7 on its list...or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Tried Steermouse and at least it finally allows for the back page command in Safari..! However, moving the mouse over the Dock or other Apple menus, for example, does NOT activate it...how can I do that?

Last edited by 50548; Sep 7, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:31 PM   #131
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
But USBOverdrive doesn't even recognize the RAT 7 on its list...or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Tried Steermouse and at least it finally allows for the back page command in Safari..! However, moving the mouse over the Dock or other Apple menus, for example, does NOT activate it...how can I do that?
Well, Third party drivers don't always work. I'm on 10.8.1 and my Naga is acting up, couple buttons not working. I think i'm gonna uninstall Synapse. It's too annoying in Mountain Lion.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:29 AM   #132
cawas
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to cawas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Particle View Post
Short version: buy a Razer DeathAdder, or consider a Logitech Performance MX if you want the flexibility of being wireless and able to track on just about anything.
---

Laser mice are terrible for gaming, I don't think there's a single laser sensor on the market that doesn't have trouble with tracking smoothly on many different surfaces, or having acceleration built in at a hardware level. (even if you disable any software-based acceleration in the drivers)

The same applies to a lot of Optical/IR sensors as well. Here's a list of good mice: http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=2024663

My personal recommendation would be the Razer DeathAdder—specifically the Black Edition, because it has a soft-touch rubber surface rather than glossy sides for extra grip, and doesn't have any LEDs in it. Much nicer looking than the regular mouse in my opinion. It's also one of the best mice available from an ergonomics standpoint. I've seen very few people complain unless they had very small hands. Anyone that was a fan of the old Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 (a gaming classic) will love the DeathAdder.

It might not track on glass or some very shiny surfaces, but put it on a real mousepad (I would recommend cloth rather than a hard mat, for the sake of your wrist) and nothing tracks better. No acceleration, no jitter, no angle snapping/correction. One complaint has been lift-off distance, but if you find that to be problematic, putting a strip of frosted scotch tape over the sensor fixes it. (this will work for most optical mice with a high lift-off distance)

It might not have the insanely high DPI/CPI numbers of some other mice, but pro gamers—that is to say people who play in tournaments for money—typically play with about 10" of movement to do a 360° turn. This is about 1600 CPI with a sensitivity of 1.0 in games. There's no reason to go any higher, if anything, some pros will actually use lower sensitivities than that, for greater precision.

And if you have the option, you're typically best running your mouse at 500Hz rather than 1000Hz. Most computers will show stable results polling at 500Hz, whereas the vast majority will not be stable at 1000Hz, and there is no practical difference between 1ms and 2ms input latency when your display is updating at 60Hz (16ms) or 120Hz (8ms)

While Bluetooth mice are convenient if you have a Mac, there's a lot of latency involved with Bluetooth compared to other vendor's wireless implementations. I know that it's a lot more convenient to not have a wireless dongle, or a wired mouse, but it can definitely make a difference.

I would also suggest against purchasing a portable mouse such as the Razer Orochi if you plan on using it all day, or intend on spending a lot of time gaming. I've been using a Logitech MX Anywhere for a while now (chose that instead, because it will track on anything without a mat, which is useful for portability) and my hand cramps up very quickly when using it these days (was fine when I first started using it) and I'm also starting to get pain in that wrist. Even if you want something wireless for the sake of portability, I would strongly suggest a full size palm grip mouse. (I used to use a finger grip, but it's terrible for you) If you don't think you're going to have the opportunity to always have the mouse on a pad, get Logitech's Performance MX if the ergonomics suit you. Personally, Logitech's bigger mice have never been a good fit for my hands. It will also track on just about anything like the Anywhere MX, but won't have you regretting your purchase in a few months. I will warn you that Logitech's battery life estimates are very optimistic. Back when I bought it (I see it has been removed now) it was being advertised as having 3-4 months, well I was lucky to get 1 out of a new pair of AAs. (was actually using Apple's rechargeables)

Another thing that's good with Razer's mice compared to others, is that they use very light switches, which will reduce RSI and is better for games where you're clicking a lot. (you will have a higher APM count using one) If you don't want to develop RSI in your index finger, I strongly suggest you pick a mouse with a light switch. I can't comment on other mice, other than saying that the Anywhere MX has rather stiff switches.

I know people don't rate Razer's build quality, and the mice definitely feel light (being light is a good thing!) but I've never had any problems with them to date. The only people I know that have liked to have a heavy mouse, have been those who have had sensitivity turned up far too high—just because a mouse offers 4000+ DPI doesn't mean you have to use it!
Hey Beta!

You should be answering technical questions rather than giving shopping advices! http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...c-gaming-mouse
cawas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 01:11 PM   #133
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Apple Magic mouse, it works wonderfully
Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:22 PM   #134
Beta Particle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawas View Post
Hey Beta!

You should be answering technical questions rather than giving shopping advices! http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...c-gaming-mouse
I hate to disappoint, but that isn't me!
Beta Particle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:15 AM   #135
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

I am loving my Logitech Performance Mouse MX for gaming and now I use it for everything. Works like a charm, very comfortable for my hand, can be recharged while in use with USB cable. It's just a joy to own and use. I don't even use my Apple mouse at all anymore. This works well for all purposes and it works perfectly in OS X.

One mouse to rule them all!
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:05 PM   #136
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
I am loving my Logitech Performance Mouse MX for gaming and now I use it for everything. Works like a charm, very comfortable for my hand, can be recharged while in use with USB cable. It's just a joy to own and use. I don't even use my Apple mouse at all anymore. This works well for all purposes and it works perfectly in OS X.

One mouse to rule them all!
My only problem with the MX mouse is that you can't go long periods of gaming. Especially games that requires a lot of clicking especially games like Diablo III. Although I have used this mouse myself, I usually use it when I am doing light things (I can't tell you how good it feels when I am modelling with the mouse, no jerky movements) such as surfing the web, or when I am not at home. At home I use my wired mouse instead. Of course, I use Synergy so I plug it into my Windows machine and I control my mac through it.
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:59 PM   #137
TheGreatWumpus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Skype™ to TheGreatWumpus
I use a Logitech M570 Trackball for all my gaming. It took me some time to get used to, but I think its superior to a mouse. Just my preference. Its very minimal strain on the wrist/hand as well, which makes it easy to use for long periods of time.
TheGreatWumpus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:45 AM   #138
Lanveltoce
macrumors newbie

I use Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse.

Things I like:
- All the buttons are customizable;
- Switchable wheel. Smooth and click-to-click;
- Buttons are placed in right places where easy to reach;
- sensitive indicator on the mouse. Using + and - buttons on the mouse can adjust sensitive level in no time;
- Wired.

Thing I don't like:
- Wheel. Personally I prefer click-to-click style but it has very weak clicks;
- Ergonomically, it could be too big for people who like claw style mouse.

Last edited by Lanveltoce; Oct 25, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Lanveltoce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:47 AM   #139
Mr.Bullitt
macrumors regular

What is the current status for using the Razer Orochi under Mountain Lion????
Mr.Bullitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:02 AM   #140
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Apple Magic mouse, it works wonderfully
It doesn't have separate left and right buttons. You can't select left and right at the same time.

For a gaming mouse it falls down at the first hurdle.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:50 AM   #141
SlickShoes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatWumpus View Post
I use a Logitech M570 Trackball for all my gaming. It took me some time to get used to, but I think its superior to a mouse. Just my preference. Its very minimal strain on the wrist/hand as well, which makes it easy to use for long periods of time.
I recently got one of these too, it takes some getting used to but once you do the accuracy is pretty much the same and the comfort factor is x100! Now I can easily game on any surface, it's fantastic. I just wish the mouse had a bit more solid feeling and looked a bit less dated.
SlickShoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:02 AM   #142
any-key
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Dude" View Post
Does anyone have any experience actually using the Magic Mouse for any type of serious gaming? I know it isn't as good as a dedicated gaming mouse, but will it work good enough? Does it play well with Windows? Any latency issues?
I play mostly Ego-Shooter games and I find the Magic Mouse to be a very bad experience for gaming.

I am very pleased with the experience with my Razer Deathadder. I take it through hours of gaming and its very good, both on OS X and Windows.
any-key is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:20 PM   #143
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

I am thinking about getting either the Steelseries Sensei OR the Razer Deathadder at the moment.

Think I will pick one up in the morning.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:42 PM   #144
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
It doesn't have separate left and right buttons. You can't select left and right at the same time.

For a gaming mouse it falls down at the first hurdle.
Oh I understand, I just use it for games like Minecraft and Sky Gamblers - Air Supremacy and it works fine for those but I guess other games are different
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:25 AM   #145
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Oh I understand, I just use it for games like Minecraft and Sky Gamblers - Air Supremacy and it works fine for those but I guess other games are different
Yep, for gaming the Magic Mouse is possibly the WORST mouse you can buy!

Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:55 AM   #146
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Got a Mamba 4G. Going to send it back. The Rzrengine kernel panicked my new iMac, and you can't put your iMac to sleep because the receiver keeps waking it up. Useless...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:11 AM   #147
whoRichard
macrumors newbie

Although i don't game on my Macbook Pro anymore, I still use my Razer Deathadder as a everyday mouse just because it is in a more comfortable position for me at home. I haven't had any problems such as jittering or dcing, easily my most favorite mouse of ALL time.
whoRichard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:54 AM   #148
jalagl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to jalagl
I use a Razer Naga, with 12 programmable buttons on the side. It takes a while to set it up and get used to the buttons, but once you do, it is great for most games (at least what I play - Diablo 3, Starcraft II, Civ V, etc)
jalagl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:48 PM   #149
macgamer07
macrumors newbie

My Mac gaming setup

I use Razer products for my mac:

Mice: Razer Imperator
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Mac edition

I use my iMac for gaming, I've experienced problems with both Mice and Keyboards; Especially when I wake the Mac from 'sleep' mode, sometimes the mice doesn't work. Sometimes, the keyboard doesn't work.

Simple disconnect and reconnect the plug will fix it, but it is kinna annoying.

Not many company makes gaming keyboards in Mac layouts, we Mac gamers dont have much options here... :/ For the few who makes them, e.g. Razer, it still has compatibility issues.
macgamer07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:58 AM   #150
Miharu
macrumors 6502

My Microsoft mouse broke today. Gonna pick up a Razer Deathadder Respawn tomorrow, unless anyone has advice otherwise? I watched a video on youtube and it seemed to have native Mac drivers.
Miharu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games