Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
What else is there?

Physical buttons like Apple has or Samsung S3 capacitive and there is on screen like the Nexus 7, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Nexus etc...
It's not an either or situation and wanting a separate physical/capacitive front button has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

For those who do not wish to have those buttons on-screen all the time, taking up screen real estate, there are several solutions to remove them on-demand. I don't know how to make that any clearer.

Michael

Last edited:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think what many of us have suspected is true: the Nexus 4 prices are below Google's costs of production and are being subsidized. Google doesn't want to lose too much, so supplies are limited.

This initial round is to pique interest. Google will continue to get 4's in, but at a snail's pace. Most supplies will go to the carriers, who will pay Google more.

I still hope to get one today, but I suspect that my prospects are minimal. I hope to get one at some point, but I won't enter into another contract for one.

Damn you, Google, for getting my hopes up!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's not an either or situation and wanting a separate physical/capacitive front button has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

For those who do not wish to have those buttons on-screen all the time, taking up screen real estate, there are several solutions to remove them on-demand. I don't know how to make that any clearer.

Michael

Some of us don't want to root or mess around with apps which may or may not work (button savior I'm looking at you). While I'd rather have a physical button I have convinced myself that I'd be happy with off screen capacitive buttons. But the on screen buttons, they suck, they take up valuable real estate on the screen.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Yet another confusing launch by Google. Same with the Nexus S, same with the Galaxy Nexus. They have never gotten a Nexus smartphone launch right. Never.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I knew the specs & unlocked pricing were too good to be true...Was honestly going to buy this and see if it would convert me from iPhone 5, but I have no interest if they can't get their product launch right.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Some of us don't want to root or mess around with apps which may or may not work (button savior I'm looking at you). While I'd rather have a physical button I have convinced myself that I'd be happy with off screen capacitive buttons. But the on screen buttons, they suck, they take up valuable real estate on the screen.

I don't mind rooting have been looking around to see which way to go. This is one way which allows you to access the button's functionality several ways:
http://youtu.be/stDR9_fANBY

Of course at this rate it looks like I'll need to be lucky to even get a nexus 4 anytime soon. :(

Mike

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Americas:

We have seen our comrades fall under the onslaught of server issues and almost no stock. A few have succeeded, though, and they shall serve as our inspiration in these trying hours to come. Spies report that Google has allocated one Nexus 4 per time zone, so our individual chances are slim, but our numbers are many, so, Gods willing, one or two of us will get through.

To those who succeed: enjoy the spoils of your hard-fought victory.

To the rest of us: tonight we dine in Hell. Note: it's a formal dinner, so dress appropriately, and do be on time.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You'd think the servers from the largest and most popular search engine that does over a billion searches a day wouldn't be causing so many errors just for a phone with a limited target audience...

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
That battery life kind of sucks. That talk time is half the 15 hours claimed. What's up with that?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Yet another confusing launch by Google. Same with the Nexus S, same with the Galaxy Nexus. They have never gotten a Nexus smartphone launch right. Never.

it's google. their customer service sucks. what do you expect?

----------

That battery life kind of sucks. That talk time is half the 15 hours claimed. What's up with that?
pretty much all android's suck on battery life. this is always a complete shock to everyone. Yet, we have people in this thread claiming they get insane battery life on their Nexus.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
ladies and gentlemen of the americas:

We have seen our comrades fall under the onslaught of server issues and almost no stock. A few have succeeded, though, and they shall serve as our inspiration in these trying hours to come. Spies report that google has allocated one nexus 4 per time zone, so our individual chances are slim, but our numbers are many, so, gods willing, one or two of us will get through.

To those who succeed: Enjoy the spoils of your hard-fought victory.

To the rest of us: Tonight we dine in hell. Note: It's a formal dinner, so dress appropriately, and do be on time.

+1

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

----------

pretty much all android's suck on battery life. this is always a complete shock to everyone. Yet, we have people in this thread claiming they get insane battery life on their Nexus.

RAZR MAXX. Nuff' said.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
THAT'S the only one lol bc it has a brick for a battery

You're just looking at those charts from the website. There are many factors affecting the battery life of a phone. My Galaxy S2 still lasts me a day of use. Even from the charts, there are many Android phones that have better battery than the 4S, and last I checked, not many people were complaining about the 4S's battery.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Michael

I totally understand what you are saying. I guess the way I look at it is they are more a part of the bezel and not the screen even though they are on the screen.

When watching videos they are in wasted space anyway. But pretty much everything else they are using up screen space.

I feel the gain out weighs the lost screen space.

My grip is its not like Android original tablet OS from Honeycomb to 4.1 like on the Xoom and other tablets from that time. That bar doubled as the status bar and there is no status bar on the top.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
You're just looking at those charts from the website. There are many factors affecting the battery life of a phone. My Galaxy S2 still lasts me a day of use. Even from the charts, there are many Android phones that have better battery than the 4S, and last I checked, not many people were complaining about the 4S's battery.

i've tried several android's....you have to kill every program, turn off wifi/bluetooth to get any kind of decent battery life. use juice defender as well....

My iPhone 5 i have wifi/bluetooth always on and it lasts me the entire day with heavy use.

I've seen plenty of posts where people complain about the 4s battery. especially those coming from an iPhone 4 which got awesome battery life.

I've never heard reports or had friends agree where android is known for it's battery life.... UNLESS you have a brick for a battery like that razr maxx

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
i've tried several android's....you have to kill every program, turn off wifi/bluetooth to get any kind of decent battery life. use juice defender as well....

My iPhone 5 i have wifi/bluetooth always on and it lasts me the entire day with heavy use.

I've seen plenty of posts where people complain about the 4s battery. especially those coming from an iPhone 4 which got awesome battery life.

I've never heard reports or had friends agree where android is known for it's battery life.... UNLESS you have a brick for a battery like that razr maxx

When I had the current nexus I left everything on (wifi/bluetooth) and never had an app killer and would easily get a full day using the phone the same way I use the iphone.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

You can't really say Android has bad battery life. It depends on the individual handset. Killing programs, and IMO using JuiceDefender, had no effect on my battery life. There are also many threads where people complain about the iPhone 5's battery life.

I'm not saying the Nexus 4's battery life is stellar. But it's comparable to the iPhone 4 and 4S, which for many people is good enough.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I totally understand what you are saying. I guess the way I look at it is they are more a part of the bezel and not the screen even though they are on the screen.

When watching videos they are in wasted space anyway. But pretty much everything else they are using up screen space.

I feel the gain out weighs the lost screen space.

My grip is its not like Android original tablet OS from Honeycomb to 4.1 like on the Xoom and other tablets from that time. That bar doubled as the status bar and there is no status bar on the top.
Mainly I'd want the buttons to go away when playing a game or watching a video. Granted, I don't do much of that on my iPhone now but still. :) Oh, also when browsing the web. Having an iPad for the last few years makes me cringe browsing on my iPhone. I was hoping that would change, at least a little, with a 4.7" screen.

Plus I like to tinker and coming from an iPhone it's refreshing to finally not be at the whim of Apple's lock-it-down approach (though I know that works well for many).

Oh well, maybe I should wait till I can actually GET a Nexus 4 before planning on customizing it. :(

Michael

----------

You can't really say Android has bad battery life. It depends on the individual handset. Killing programs, and IMO using JuiceDefender, had no effect on my battery life. There are also many threads where people complain about the iPhone 5's battery life.

I'm not saying the Nexus 4's battery life is stellar. But it's comparable to the iPhone 4 and 4S, which for many people is good enough.

My iPhone 4S has sucked from the beginning, battery-life-wise. Heck I *always* have to charge during the day, usually more than once. If I am going to be out and away from any chargers I always take an external battery for charging--or face a dead iPhone. I don't know how it could get much worse than this.

Michael

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
MY on-contract NExus 4 has shipped from Carphone Warehouse.

Dear MR CLOUT,
Your order has been dispatched from our warehouse.
Your order will be delivered within 3 working days* to the Carphone Warehouse store you selected.

Hoping it arrives in store tomorrow as I'm off work for the day. :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

----------

Jailbreak and run an iPhone exactly like an Android and suddenly the battery life isn't so stellar. Or you can do less and save battery.

Doing something (anything) requires energy. Doing more requires more energy.

I'm surprised people even attempt to compare to an iPhone. "Why doesn't my 5" screen Android phone running 10 widgets, live wallpapers and a torrent in the background get bad battery life?!?!" Duh......

Then on top of that iOS manages processes differently (arguably better depend whether you want something running in the background or not) makes a big difference. And the Play Store isn't policed like the App Store. It's really amazingly Android devices get the battery life they do.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I want this launch to go smoothly as much as anyone else, but I don't get this whole "Google can't get a launch right, forget the Nexus 4!!" thing that I'm reading from a few people.

It's a phone you will use every single day presumably for the next year or so or more. Even if the launch does go haywire, why deny yourself something you want because you'll get it a little bit later?

iPhones constantly see launch issue of a differnt but similar nature; they sell out very quickly and people are backed up for weeks, even months. But if it's what they want, they'll wait.

Don't see why you can't afford Google the same patience if you truly want the device.

Again, I want the launch to go smoothly, but some of the reactions here are a little puzzling to me. Almost immature.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Jailbreak and run an iPhone exactly like an Android and suddenly the battery life isn't so stellar. Or you can do less and save battery.

Doing something (anything) requires energy. Doing more requires more energy.

I'm surprised people even attempt to compare to an iPhone. "Why doesn't my 5" screen Android phone running 10 widgets, live wallpapers and a torrent in the background get bad battery life?!?!" Duh......

Then on top of that iOS manages processes differently (arguably better depend whether you want something running in the background or not) makes a big difference. And the Play Store isn't policed like the App Store. It's really amazingly Android devices get the battery life they do.
obviously i don't want to run it like an android bc you get sheety battery life. Not everyone needs 20 widgets and to run their iPhone like an android. Obviously Apple is doing something right if they get great battery life. That's the problem with windows and android...nothing is policed....anyone can do anything and can load the same OS on different hardware.

even when you don't have live wallpaper/widgets and a big screen....android battery life STILL sucks.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
we have people in this thread claiming they get insane battery life on their Nexus.

Claim?

fAtxk.png

2Fxbb.png

All stock 4.1.2

----------

Here's the review that many people have probably been waiting for:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review

Is this running the final software? Cause those battery times are poor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.