Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Havent seen to many scratch threads. Im wondering if the scratch problem is gone or doesnt effect the minis. maybe they are like the ipods and dont scratch? I have a mini but its sealed for a christmas gift so there is no way for me to tell.

I would expect to see threads out the ying yang by now if they scratched easily.

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2011
Milwaukee, WI, USA
I'm wondering the same thing. Fear of scraping paint on the black version, for example, is one reason I went with the white one. (Coupled with ease of fingerprinting...though the black really is sharper looking...)

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Mine hasn't scratched and I don't have a case on it. Then again, my iPhone 5 hasn't scratched either. I'm not super careful with either device.

I'm thinking some people just treat their devices like total crap.

crazytrain

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Check them out in store - the black ones appear to be prone to scratching on the ones I checked - obvious marks around on/off switch. I've kept my black iphone 5 in a case and with a screen protector from day 1 - have an obvious mark/silver showing through on the bezel, no idea how it happened. No particular gripe, I don't mind, just stating facts

ntdb

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I've had my black mini for a couple of weeks now (first naked, then smart cover) and there are no signs of scratching anywhere.

S

syd430

No - people just tend to put cases on them, to prevent them from scratching, but it then ironically ends up scratching the ***** out of it when debris gets lodged between the case and the phone.

It's almost like an inbuilt karma feature for trying to hide the beauty of the ip5/ipad mini in the first place :D

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
A few posts have popped up about scratching but nothing as bad as I thought they would. I purchased a white one just in case. I think it may scratch less.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I had a small nick on my black which was always in a case. It has since gone back for a white.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Mine hasn't scratched and I don't have a case on it. Then again, my iPhone 5 hasn't scratched either. I'm not super careful with either device.

same, and I toss that thing around now haha

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
My black iPhone 5 is still pristine, no case. But if you buy into the hype that looking at a black iPhone 5 the wrong way will cause the paint to fall off I don't see why you'd feel any less paranoid about the mini.

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
my black iphone 5 is still pristine, no case. But if you buy into the hype that looking at a black iphone 5 the wrong way will cause the paint to fall off i don't see why you'd feel any less paranoid about the mini.

+1

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
I wanted the white mini for this reason, but my local best buy didn't get them because of the hurricane on launch day, so I went with a black one.

The case I am using only protects the back and front (tabs hold the device In place) and I haven't gotten any scratches yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.