Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Are the owners of this case certain that you can't squeeze your iphone in if it has clear side wraps so as to protect the band in the case of any dust etc finding its way in?

You could get away with a back screen protector but not the sides. The case is really tight as it is.

I had a 4S with the side protectors "stickers" from Lucky Labs and the PS Air Jacket case i had for it cracked on one corner because the case had such a tight tolerance.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Again, you CAN fit this case on with a back protector. I have one from Clear-coat on mine even now. I as well as others have answered this already. NO to side protectors. It will not fit. Having a back protector on DOES make the line up of the buttons a little bit off, but not much. All the buttons work fine. If you look closely, you will notice that they do not center up perfectly. That is all.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Here are pictures to show how the holes line up WITH a back film protector in place on the iphone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352830286.814385.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352830312.847099.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352830324.982219.jpg

By the way, the reason you see the glass edge sticking up so much above this case is because I have a glass screen shield on the phone. Bodyguardz Pure. I love it. This combo has become my go to case and I have not been switching cases daily at all, which is very unlike me. I think the fit and finish of this case are really unmatched so far when it comes to thin cases, and I have tried or own a lot of them out there. For me, it is worth the 40$ price tag, but everyone will be different.

c2c

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
have anyone dropped their iphone 5 encased in the air jacket yet? i'm curious to know how fragile is this case. i am not expecting otterbox or lifeproof level of protection but just wondering how the air jacket thin case react to the ground. i have seen enough $5 china made thin cases get smashed into pieces. it offers zero protection no different from wrapping it in paper. i'm not expecting otterbox protection but just a decent level enough to handle the concrete without expelling the iphone out of the case.

Yes I did last week. I've probably abused my phone for the last month as I travel a lot. 4 weeks ago I was in Japan and bought the Air Jacket. I put it on right away and used it the entire week in Japan while going from meeting to meeting. I flew home and then off to Dallas for more week long meetings. I used the phone for workouts in the gym, going to the dinners, and while watching the World Series at the bars. The third week with the phone I was in my corporate office, running from meeting to meeting and again, working out in our office gym with the phone. Last week I was in Toronto and it was there that I dropped the phone from a shelf about chest high onto my shoe and then onto the hardwood floor. I'm in the bright sun now and looking at the case, there seems to be a few light scratches that I can't see in indoor lighting. The phone landed on it's case side so I didn't have to worry about the screen, though it has made me think about putting on the screen protector again. Phone has worked fine for the last week and has suffered through plane rides, security bins, table tops of all sorts, gyms, and bars/restaurants. I think it's about time for me to start comparing my phone to my coworker's phones that have decided not to use a case, but go bare or with a skin. I can tell you there are a LOT of nicks on their phones.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Can you post a pic of this?

I don't really want to spend £50 on the case and then fork out more for another screen protector if the ones that are included aren't very good.

Pics are in a few posts above this one or page 10 of this thread. I wouldn't call the PS ones bad...in fact they seem to be great for plastic protectors and comparable to Spigen SGPs. I have both brands and neither compares to a BG Pure. The only con is that it adds minor, yet still noticeable height and weight to the phone. But it's really a non-issue for the quality feel and smudge/oil resistance you gain.

sbojevets

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
The Arctic
it just occured to me. when i had the power support aj for the 3G the black matte coating rubbed off and faded after some use. have that changed or do i have to expect the same to happen with this. if it is going to rub i will just go for the smoked

tom619

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
I've ordered mine in clear smoke black.

How necessary do you think it is to use a back protector too, given that the case essentially protects the back anyway?

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Compared to a Desmay/Desmay clone, the AJ is actually quick thick and heavy. I can feel the weight increased with the case vs without. Rubber black finish is nice, but a little boring. I'd say for ultimate protection and a reasonable increase in thickness and heft, I'll live with this for now.

That said, if someone is able to make a Desmay like super thin case that also protects the bottom, I'll be all over it. Until then, I'll keep the AJ

nightninja7

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Quick look for the US. SZ Electronics seems to have these cases on Amazon with free super-saver shipping on November 17/18.

Slightly better deal for me to get, unsure for others but a headsup.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Got mine today from Amazon UK and i wasnt sure about it. When i took it out of its packet and put it on i changed my mind straight away, i love it!

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Quick look for the US. SZ Electronics seems to have these cases on Amazon with free super-saver shipping on November 17/18.

Slightly better deal for me to get, unsure for others but a headsup.

Thanks for the heads up, I just posted a review for the black version that includes my observations in this thread.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Does anyone have the white one? I want to see some non-official pictures :0 why does this case have to be so overpriced x_x

yezza

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
Just received my black rubber Air Jacket here in NZ via eBay. Was originally going to purchase through a reseller in AUS, but after all the waiting and communicating with them it turned out they are only stocking the transparent models!

So had to pay a premium via eBay, but on the upside it arrived from Japan in only 5 days.

Anyway, this case is really really nice. I've replaced my black Incipio feather, and this PS case is much better - top and bottom protection, much nicer feel around the volume buttons, and is much less sharp along the left and right screen edges and back bottom corner edge where I use my pinky to support my phone while using.

Fantastic minimalist design, highly recommended.

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
Just got my clear one in yday. Case is great, fit is perfect. I haven't figured out how to get the phone out though. My only complaint is the screen protector. The way it comes packaged you can't use the hinge method.

crampinator

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Just received my black rubber Air Jacket here in NZ via eBay. Was originally going to purchase through a reseller in AUS, but after all the waiting and communicating with them it turned out they are only stocking the transparent models!

So had to pay a premium via eBay, but on the upside it arrived from Japan in only 5 days.

Anyway, this case is really really nice. I've replaced my black Incipio feather, and this PS case is much better - top and bottom protection, much nicer feel around the volume buttons, and is much less sharp along the left and right screen edges and back bottom corner edge where I use my pinky to support my phone while using.

Fantastic minimalist design, highly recommended.

Post some pics, I'm curious to see the silicone.

fdxgnd

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I just received a replacement clear air jacket today. My first one had some very light scratches on the corner. I didn't even notice them when I put it on the phone. I never even used it. I took it off to use another case and that's when I saw them. Anyway, I got a new one and don't need 2. If anybody is interested in buying it at a good discount let me know. Here is a pic of it. Like I said, on the white phone I didn't even see it. Pm me if you are interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    699.8 KB · Views: 80

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Here's mine. Clear black version

Attachments

• IMG_3903.JPG
    IMG_3903.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3902.JPG
    IMG_3902.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3904.JPG
    IMG_3904.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 221

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
I'm over this case. It's a well made one that I wanted to enjoy but it's a dust trap if you have the clear one anyways! The dust that keeps collecting around the perimeter in the shamfered edges is really annoying because that's all I keep focusing on and I can't stop but noticing it. :mad:

skyline2fast4u

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2004
I just received a replacement clear air jacket today. My first one had some very light scratches on the corner. I didn't even notice them when I put it on the phone. I never even used it. I took it off to use another case and that's when I saw them. Anyway, I got a new one and don't need 2. If anybody is interested in buying it at a good discount let me know. Here is a pic of it. Like I said, on the white phone I didn't even see it. Pm me if you are interested.

pm'd you!

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Here's mine. Clear black version

Not a fan of the jellybean home button sticker but that looks nice. Are you using a rear protector as well? Asking because of the aired-out texture around the Apple logo and iPhone name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.