Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
I wonder if online-purchases/in-store-pickups are counted in those figures. Not all stores (other brands) offer it and I could see it skewing the numbers a little. Or does it even matter?

Last edited:

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
And how does this make their last product innovative? Better? Worth the increasing price?

Yeah, one of those many many micro-news any corporation could do in other domains, that actually don't mean anything but Apple making money and obviously not investing it in R&D, quality or consumer prices anymore...but rather in ridiculous patent lawsuits.

Bitter much?

Newsflash: you don't have to buy their products.

weintrw

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Philly
Good but not that great

Apple deserves lots of credit for what they make and sell, BUT the two stores near me are phyically only one third the size they should be. People are crammed inside. It is noisy, cramped and nearly impossible to move around in. I find it harder and harder to get help about a question. They just sell and keep their eyes not on people, but on their iPhone/iPads.
If the stores were the right size in Philadelphia, their sales per sq. ft. would be one third of what is listed. Still the best but at least user friendly like the other businesses on the list.
I do use only Apple, but no longer enter the store to look or learn.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
I have to agree. Very few people are actually buying whenever I've been in their - most go in there for the free wifi, to check emails and facebook...feel like slapping them sometimes.

Not sure why Apple still havent blocked access to social networks on their in-store wifi. I know they want to draw people in to use the machines, but surely they arent getting a sale anyway from someone who's only purpose in the shop is to post a status update.

They want the kiddies in there. They won't buy anything now, but 10 years from now when they have money or are going to college, their next computer purchase will be a no-brainer.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
It's in his nature, Dixons group is all about big red banners everywhere saying 'SALE'...very tacky stuff.

The stupid thing is, they aren't sales at all - they are always a good 20% more expensive than anywhere else.

Put it this way, they are the UK's equivalent to CompUSA, run by idiot corporate boys in their expensive suits, who know bugger all about the products they are selling.
As long as the sale price is lower than the price for at least 30 days prior, it counts. That's what stores would jack the price during the slow (post-)summer holiday season, so that they could reduce to normal and still claim 'sale'. Not sure if that's how it still works. The last time I went into a DSG store (PC World, Ashford) to buy a UK adaptor for my MBA, the Mac 'expert' sold be the wrong one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Not sure why Apple still havent blocked access to social networks on their in-store wifi.

Well, In these days of Apple consumerism, Apple's main clientele are facebookers, tweeters and anyone in general that have nothing important to do with their devices.

So of course they want you to try these things out with your own accounts. Makes perfect sense to me.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
And how does this make their last product innovative? Better? Worth the increasing price?

Yeah, one of those many many micro-news any corporation could do in other domains, that actually don't mean anything but Apple making money and obviously not investing it in R&D, quality or consumer prices anymore...but rather in ridiculous patent lawsuits.

Did grumpy wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? The Microsoft kiosk is that way ---> don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Why do some millionaires and billionaires oppose paying taxes? Because to them, you can't have to enough money.
I suppose there is always the rational explanation instead. They don't favor putting good money after bad on "welfare and entitlement" programs organized as either ponzi schemes or defined benefit programs, when the whole trend today in benefits programs is defined contribution and planned endowments.

If the way they were funded and organized was changed to the above principals, rational Millionaires would RUSH to pay more taxes knowing the day to full perpetual funding would happen sooner and relieve them of further taxation forever.

Apple itself is leading by the example to show the substantial benefits of financial solvency. In its case to achieve lower parts costs and first mover advantage by buying factories or substantial capacity in them.

Rocketman

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Why do some millionaires and billionaires oppose paying taxes? Because to them, you can't have to enough money.

Valid point. However, as others have noted in the threads about Browett, at what point does cost cutting diminish quality? Further, at what minimum quality do customers stop coming to the stores? Sure, cost cutting may bring short term gains in profits, but long term hurts.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wow, macrumors 6502 in 8 months! That's dedication (or something). :rolleyes:

As long as the sale price is lower than the price for at least 30 days prior, it counts. That's what stores would jack the price during the slow (post-)summer holiday season, so that they could reduce to normal and still claim 'sale'. Not sure if that's how it still works. The last time I went into a DSG store (PC World, Ashford) to buy a UK adaptor for my MBA, the Mac 'expert' sold be the wrong one.

I knew a store in Windsor (near London) that had a closing down sale for about eight years.

Valid point. However, as others have noted in the threads about Browett, at what point does cost cutting diminish quality? Further, at what minimum quality do customers stop coming to the stores? Sure, cost cutting may bring short term gains in profits, but long term hurts.

That's why he is gone. It's not a surprise that he is gone, the strange thing is that he was hired in the first place.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

what makes you think apple doesn't invest in R&D?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Apple deserves lots of credit for what they make and sell, BUT the two stores near me are phyically only one third the size they should be. People are crammed inside. It is noisy, cramped and nearly impossible to move around in. I find it harder and harder to get help about a question. They just sell and keep their eyes not on people, but on their iPhone/iPads.
If the stores were the right size in Philadelphia, their sales per sq. ft. would be one third of what is listed. Still the best but at least user friendly like the other businesses on the list.
I do use only Apple, but no longer enter the store to look or learn.

This is interesting. Apple's store in Tysons Corner, Virginia is probably twice as big as their stores in Fair Oaks, Virginia and Reston, Virginia. Of course, the Tysons Corner store is probably considered their flagship store for the greater Washington D.C. metro area.

My guess is that location probably take precedence over store size and location to a certain extent probably dictates store size.

I'm sure Apple has done plenty of research on who is buying their products and they open their stores in the areas where those people live and work.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Apple is a business so why are you worried about it. If they made good decisions, they will do well and if they made bad decisions, they will do poorly (i.e it doesn't affect you unless you work for them or you are a shareholder).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
nice numbers but at the same token not really surprising given the relatively small size of the store and then the high cost of most of the products plus they get a lot more foot trafic that a jewelry store. Noticed the ones that have the most are relatively small in size and sell high value items.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
And they still cant donate more than 2 ****** millions

I guess you don't know much about corporations. It's not aapl's job. Charitable donations by corporations is a tricky area. In the end, corporations are in business to make money for shareholders. Expenditures really have to be justified as a means toward that end. When a donation is very large it really becomes "advertising" and isn't at all charitable. $2M was a small amount intended to do no more than assist in a charitable effort.

But then, you're not from the U.S. since you wrote:

"Good job Sammy. Show the bastards how we do it in Korea"

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Fortune points to a new report from research firm Retail Sails, which once again ranks Apple as the U.S. retail store chain with the highest sales per square foot. Apple's sales productivity is calculated at over $6000 per square foot, more than double that of second-place Tiffany & Co.

Apple also topped the list last year, with this year's 7.5% growth in sales per square foot ranking second among the top five companies to lululemon's 11.8% growth. Apple's retail store sales growth has, however, slowed considerably from Retail Sails' 2011 estimate of 49.1% growth as Apple has in some cases been transitioning to larger store sizes and expanded iPhone and iPad distribution has siphoned some demand from Apple's own retail stores.

Article Link: Apple Again Tops U.S. Retail Chains in Sales at $6000 per Square Foot

And who cares?? Sombody is getting ripped off and think its the customers.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This is interesting. Apple's store in Tysons Corner, Virginia is probably twice as big as their stores in Fair Oaks, Virginia and Reston, Virginia. Of course, the Tysons Corner store is probably considered their flagship store for the greater Washington D.C. metro area.

My guess is that location probably take precedence over store size and location to a certain extent probably dictates store size.

I'm sure Apple has done plenty of research on who is buying their products and they open their stores in the areas where those people live and work.

I think Apple is very clever in their retail strategies: being patient and waiting for the ideal locations to become available; only investing in 'alpha' sites with a guaranteed footfall. Possibly under-sizing their stores to ensure they look busy rather than being over-sized and looking deserted. And on a similar tack, allowing free use of the computers in order to get people in the doors. Not only are they potential customers, but they generate a buzz around the store; people may be less likely to walk in to a quiet deserted store.

Everything is reinforcing the image that they're a prime brand who are very much in demand.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Buy Direct

Whenever you buy Apple products, you should always buy them directly from Apple. Otherwise, you have some sleazy middleman taking away some of Apple's profits.

Those Gift Cards should be bought direct form Apple. So should iPads and especially, iPhones. If you buy it from your carrier, they get a big chunk of Apple's money.

And it is always better to buy using the website rather than going into the stores. The stores are expensive to run. If you simply use the website, there is no rent or salaries to cut into the sale and the maximum amount goes to the bottom line.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Given Apple has 40% margins I suspect its NET psf is astronomically higher.

:confused: New math?

I suspect somebody hasn't had their morning coffee yet. ;)

EDIT: Unless you are talking about Apple's net/sq' compared to Penny's. (Yes, I'm having my coffee now.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.