Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
Hi all --

I need some advice so i'll make it short & simple.

I am looking to buy a new car -- Either a 13' Accord EX-L Coupe / Sedan (not sure which model yet)

Or the 2013 Acura TSX Special edition.

EX-L Accord will cost me around 28k in total w/o my discounts

and TSX will cost me about 27-29k w/ discounts

What do you think is the best choice in this situation? I am not looking to go with any other brand.

Thoughts? :confused:

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
For brand, I'd probably consider a Honda more heavily over an Acura. I looked at the gas mileage which would be a deciding factor for me and they seem very similar, the Honda might have a slight edge.

Have you test driven both? I test drove a lot of cars when I bought my last car but I ruled out Acura pretty much immediately and didn't test drive one but maybe that is my own bias :)

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
For brand, I'd probably consider a Honda more heavily over an Acura. I looked at the gas mileage which would be a deciding factor for me and they seem very similar, the Honda might have a slight edge.

Have you test driven both? I test drove a lot of cars when I bought my last car but I ruled out Acura pretty much immediately and didn't test drive one but maybe that is my own bias :)

I like both - but since I get more bang for the buck w/ Honda thats what I like - however, I do like the Acura "luxury" feel. I could be having a placebo effect but, I am leaning towards the Honda Accord.

Svend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
If the cost is the same, go with the Acura. You get a year longer warranty for one thing.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Isn't Acura the luxury brand of Honda? Like Lexus and Toyota?

I owned a Honda for a while, it was great car - very reliable - but a little spartan inside. I would go Acura for the extra amenities.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Hi all --

I need some advice so i'll make it short & simple.

I am looking to buy a new car -- Either a 13' Accord EX-L Coupe / Sedan (not sure which model yet)

Or the 2013 Acura TSX Special edition.

EX-L Accord will cost me around 28k in total w/o my discounts

and TSX will cost me about 27-29k w/ discounts

What do you think is the best choice in this situation? I am not looking to go with any other brand.

Thoughts? :confused:

What is the size of each vehicle?
Length, width?
Weight?
Horsepower?
EPA estimated MPG?
Features? (Sunroof, bluetooth, NAV, heated seats, auto climate control, split folding rear seats?)
How well does an adult fit in the back seats? (Is that an important consideration?)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Get the Accord. Nearly all of the brand new "premium" models of all of the major car brands are pretty much "luxury", so with leather and such it will be just as "luxury" as the Acura. I think you'd get better gas mileage with the Accord.
The subaru fanatic in me also makes me want to tell you that you should take a look at the 2013 Legacy. Really similar to both these cars but you get symmetrical AWD which is awesome. I have a 3 year old special edition Legacy (with leather, sunroof, premium sound, etc) and the interior is just as nice as an Audi or BMW.

They're all good cars though. Keep in mind consumer reports rated Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Honda, and Acura (in that order) as the most reliable new cars you can buy, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Last edited:

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I am not looking to go with any other brand.
You are the dream of car manufacturers. That being said, there are some wonderful cars that you're missing out on.

What are your priorities for the vehicle? How many people will you be carrying? Are you more focused on fuel economy or safety?

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Isn't Acura the luxury brand of Honda? Like Lexus and Toyota?

Yes..

Acura = Honda
Infiniti = Nissan
Lexus = Toyota

OP:

Very similar cars, but for the "luxury" feel the Acura wins. Your in the same ballpark on price point for both, so it comes down to driving both and picking the best option for you.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
You are the dream of car manufacturers. That being said, there are some wonderful cars that you're missing out on.

What are your priorities for the vehicle? How many people will you be carrying? Are you more focused on fuel economy or safety?

I say this because in the past i've never had issues with them in regards to reliability.

I'm more about fuel than safety. lol

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I say this because in the past i've never had issues with them in regards to reliability.

I'm more about fuel than safety. lol

Then I'd recommend at least taking a test drive of other cars, even if you are 100% positive about the car you want. Funny, I had a list of cars and I was pretty set on 1 of 2 cars, I ended up test driving a car that wasn't on the list and I bought it.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
I have a 2012 Acura TL and recently test drove the 2013 Accord EX-L with the 4 cylinder and CVT transmission, and let me say that it was a great car. If my car was totaled, I would consider it over another Acura right now (I would probably get the V6 Accord though)

Compared to the TSX, the new Accord has more amenities and features. Test drive both, I think you'll be surprised with how nice the Accord is.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Get the Accord. Nearly all of the brand new "premium" models of all of the major car brands are pretty much "luxury", so with leather and such it will be just as "luxury" as the Acura. I think you'd get better gas mileage with the Accord.
The subaru fanatic in me also makes me want to tell you that you should take a look at the 2013 Legacy. Really similar to both these cars but you get symmetrical AWD which is awesome. I have a 3 year old special edition Legacy (with leather, sunroof, premium sound, etc) and the interior is just as nice as an Audi or BMW.

They're all good cars though. Keep in mind consumer reports rated Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Honda, and Acura (in that order) as the most reliable new cars you can buy, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Subaru Legacy is a great choice if you need AWD. The interior does not really compare to an Audi or BMW, unless you mean the seating which is ultra comfortable.

The Accord is a family sedan and the TSX has more cache and a nicer interior. For 28K, that's a great deal for the TSX even if this is the last year for it, as rumor has it.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Acura TSX = Honda Accord.

Either way you're getting the same car.

(For those who don't believe me, the Acura TSX is sold as the Honda Accord in Europe, Asia, and Australia. Not only that, the TSX and the US Accord share the same underlining, although a closer relative to the US Accord is the Acura TL, but all 4 are really similar)

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The new Accord looks really good. But I'd get the TSX over the Accord, just for the more (imo) sporty looks.
They're both great cars in terms of fuel economy, reliability, and safety.

And I'd get the Sedan version (not really a fan of coupes, plus the sedans are more versatile/safer/etc).

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008

(For those who don't believe me, the Acura TSX is sold as the Honda Accord in Europe, Asia, and Australia. Not only that, the TSX and the US Accord share the same underlining, although a closer relative to the US Accord is the Acura RL, but all 4 are really similar)

Use too. Not the 2nd gen tsx. The TL is closer to the accord than any car in Acuras line up. I owned 4 TLs, 1 RL, 1 CL.

The RL is the one that is farthest from the accord.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Use too. Not the 2nd gen tsx. The TL is closer to the accord than any car in Acuras line up. I owned 4 TLs, 1 RL, 1 CL.

The RL is the one that is farthest from the accord.

Sorry, I mean't TL, not RL.

The 2nd Gen TSX is a JDM/European Honda Accord, which in turn shares the same platform as the Honda Inspire (AKA Honda Accord sold in the US).

Granted yes they do offer some differences in body styling (and the Acura is slightly nicer), but they're very similar.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I used to have an Acura RSX then I was hit by a drunk driver so I got the most similar thing which was an 08 Civic.

But, what I found was that the TSX VS Accord - I'll get more bang for my buck with the Accord EX-L Sedan.

But what would be the difference Just the brand? Even though it's the Acura -> Honda

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

(For those who don't believe me, the Acura TSX is sold as the Honda Accord in Europe, Asia, and Australia. Not only that, the TSX and the US Accord share the same underlining, although a closer relative to the US Accord is the Acura TL, but all 4 are really similar)

I still find it amusing how many people don't realize this. Not just Accord vs TSX, but that in general many cars are the same vehicle being sold under different brands.

Remember Mazda Tribute vs Ford Escape? Same vehicle. I remember once a seeing a Tribute owner making fun of an Escape owner for buying an American POS instead of superior Japanese engineering, or some crap like that. And how the Tribute was way better. I couldn't believe it. How could you not know?

And when I owned a Toyota Matrix, I also cross-shopped the Pontiac Vibe (again, same car, just different body panels) and I was amazed at how many salespeople (mostly Pontiac) would try to tell me why theirs was better. "Ours has power steering. Toyota doesn't give you that." Huh? :rolleyes:

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
The accord was just refreshed so that is why you get a better deal. The second gen TSX was released in 2009, it is due for a refresh. In my opinion the TSX still looks better than the accord.

If you get the TSX go with the Vortex Blue Pearl ;)

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
The accord was just refreshed so that is why you get a better deal. The second gen TSX was released in 2009, it is due for a refresh. In my opinion the TSX still looks better than the accord.

If you get the TSX go with the Vortex Blue Pearl ;)

I am leaning towards the Accord EX-L in white sedan.

But, added a Camry SE v6 in the mix... hmmm. :confused: :confused:

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I am leaning towards the Accord EX-L in white sedan.

But, added a Camry SE v6 in the mix... hmmm. :confused: :confused:

Well the decision is yours so whatever makes you happy. Just make sure you test drive all the cars and test out all necessary features you need. Don't make excuses for any let downs in either car (you will just come to regret your decision few months down the line).

Camry's interior still strikes me as extremely utilitarian and Jeepish, lol. It just looks unrefined.

SASouth

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2006
I used to have an Acura RSX then I was hit by a drunk driver so I got the most similar thing which was an 08 Civic.

But, what I found was that the TSX VS Accord - I'll get more bang for my buck with the Accord EX-L Sedan.

But what would be the difference Just the brand? Even though it's the Acura -> Honda

If you need a vote for the Honda. Here's mine. I have a 2013 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 in White Orchid Pearl that I've had for just over a month. I love the car, especially the V6 power. The fit and finish are immaculate. I think the new Accord looks better than the TSX.

This one replaces a 2011 Accord Coupe LX in Belize Blue Pearl with only 8800 miles that was totaled when an an unlicensed, uninsured driver pulled out in front of me back in late September.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.