Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gryz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I have recently upgraded to the IP5 from the IP4 and have converted the 4 into a iPod touch basically. I live in the U.S. and would like to give my 4 to my friend who lives in Germany.

I am doing this with the hope that we can iMessage without problems. I understand she has to be on wifi to use iMessage, but must I also be on wifi at that same instant, or can I reply from anywhere using LTE also?

Thanks

Gryz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thank you.
Also, should I text her, and she is not on wifi, will I get a notification saying the message was unable to send?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Thank you.
Also, should I text her, and she is not on wifi, will I get a notification saying the message was unable to send?

It will say "Not Delivered" by the message in red letters.

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
In your scenario, you could also use Facebook Messenger (or another IM service). Advantages compared to iMessage:
- messages will be accessible from any device
- messages will be stored "in the cloud", so the message is delivered once your friend becomes available
- if you feel like it you can even geo-tag your messages

Once she's received your message, you'll get a read notification. The UI is also very similar to iMessage, so there's not really a drawback the way I see it.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I have a friend who is living overseas for a few months and we've been using iMessage to communicate. Problem is, sometimes iMessage doesn't work and my phone will automatically send the message as a text, which AT&T then charges me for. And I can't turn off the "send via SMS" option because I want it to automatically send failed iMessages via text to US recipients.

Regardless, this won't happen in the OP's situation since you can't send an SMS to an iPod Touch.

Gryz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thank you all. We will experiment with both iMessage and Messenger and see which we prefer. :)

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Remember that if you use iMessage and you don't want to risk incurring the expense of having the message sent as an SMS message if iMessage isn't available, you can turn OFF "Send As SMS' when iMessage is unavailable for any reason.

Gryz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Remember that if you use iMessage and you don't want to risk incurring the expense of having the message sent as an SMS message if iMessage isn't available, you can turn OFF "Send As SMS' when iMessage is unavailable for any reason.

Yes, but since the IP4 no longer would have a data plan on it, I would not have to worry about sending to it as text, correct?

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Yes, but since the IP4 no longer would have a data plan on it, I would not have to worry about sending to it as text, correct?

Right but if you turn off the text option, then Apple will automatically store the iMessage until the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

If you leave the option on, the phone will try to send it as a SMS eventually and then you will get an error msg because its not tied to a cell account, and no message sent.

----------

I'm pretty sure that you will have to re-send it.

Incorrect. As long as the send as text option is off, the iMessage server will store the msg and automatically forward it when the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

The sender will see the msg status change to "delivered" when the recipient reconnects and the message is received.

----------

It will say "Not Delivered" by the message in red letters.

It only says this when you have an error sending the msg. If the recipient phone is turned off, the iMessage server will store the msg and the status will change to "delivered" once it is actually delivered.

Gryz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Right but if you turn off the text option, then Apple will automatically store the iMessage until the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

If you leave the option on, the phone will try to send it as a SMS eventually and then you will get an error msg because its not tied to a cell account, and no message sent.

----------

Incorrect. As long as the send as text option is off, the iMessage server will store the msg and automatically forward it when the recipient reconnects to the Internet.

The sender will see the msg status change to "delivered" when the recipient reconnects and the message is received.

----------

It only says this when you have an error sending the msg. If the recipient phone is turned off, the iMessage server will store the msg and the status will change to "delivered" once it is actually delivered.

Thank you for the information.

Now, it seems like having the SMS option off is the way to go, but won't this interfere with the other texts I send within the States?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

Yes, in your situation, absolutely true. Just speaking to a potentially larger audience that might not be in the same boat as you. If you don't have a data plan, it won't go as a text message.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I have a friend who is living overseas for a few months and we've been using iMessage to communicate. Problem is, sometimes iMessage doesn't work and my phone will automatically send the message as a text, which AT&T then charges me for. And I can't turn off the "send via SMS" option because I want it to automatically send failed iMessages via text to US recipients.

Regardless, this won't happen in the OP's situation since you can't send an SMS to an iPod Touch.

Instead of texting to the cell phone number, send iMessage using their Apple ID. This way it won't revert to SMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.