Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1
solaris7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
First world problem....

I know Black Friday is coming up next week but for some ungodly reason I am very tempted to buy an iPad so I can enjoy it this weekend. I keep trying to convince myself that at most I could *maybe* get a $60 discount if I camp out early at Target. I am also sure Apple will not have the new iPad on sale, and if they do it would be a small cut. Is anyone else facing this stupid problem?
solaris7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris7 View Post
I know Black Friday is coming up next week but for some ungodly reason I am very tempted to buy an iPad so I can enjoy it this weekend. I keep trying to convince myself that at most I could *maybe* get a $60 discount if I camp out early at Target. I am also sure Apple will not have the new iPad on sale, and if they do it would be a small cut. Is anyone else facing this stupid problem?
Apple definitely won't have it on sale/cut however, it is up to walmart/target/best buy if they want to discount it so you might get lucky.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
usmaak
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris7 View Post
I know Black Friday is coming up next week but for some ungodly reason I am very tempted to buy an iPad so I can enjoy it this weekend. I keep trying to convince myself that at most I could *maybe* get a $60 discount if I camp out early at Target. I am also sure Apple will not have the new iPad on sale, and if they do it would be a small cut. Is anyone else facing this stupid problem?
I saw a sign at Target the other day saying that they'll price match anything bought now, until sometime in January. So if it comes out cheaper, you might be able to get a price match. Ask them.
usmaak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
KatanaAzul
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
I think Walmart is also having a guaranteed in stock sale on the iPad 2 with a $75 gift card, thanksgiving night at 10-11pm. Awesome because if they're out, you get a raincheck. But it's not the 4, so it just depends on what you want.
KatanaAzul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
panda bear
macrumors 68000
 
panda bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris7 View Post
I know Black Friday is coming up next week but for some ungodly reason I am very tempted to buy an iPad so I can enjoy it this weekend. I keep trying to convince myself that at most I could *maybe* get a $60 discount if I camp out early at Target. I am also sure Apple will not have the new iPad on sale, and if they do it would be a small cut. Is anyone else facing this stupid problem?
I was having this problem as well. I went back and forth between buying it this weekend and waiting until Black Friday.

After much contemplation, I decided that getting a $60 Target gift card is simply not worth going through all the hassle of arriving early and waiting in line and hoping that I get one.

I went to the Apple Store this weekend with the intention of purchasing an iPad 4 and actually ended up reserving an iPad Mini and picking it up yesterday.

My financial situation may be much different than yours, but there is no way I could justify waiting until Black Friday and then waiting in line and dealing with crazy people and not even be guaranteed to get one.

That's just my outlook.
panda bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:41 PM   #6
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmaak View Post
I saw a sign at Target the other day saying that they'll price match anything bought now, until sometime in January. So if it comes out cheaper, you might be able to get a price match. Ask them.
I don't think you can price match things that happen due to black friday.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:27 PM   #7
LS1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
I don't think you can price match things that happen due to black friday.
Correct. No store will match black friday sales. It usually says this in ads and I work for Target and I know they don't.
LS1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Is $60 worth the hassle? To me it isn't.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:35 PM   #9
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
OP,

Black Friday is mostly mediocre sales on stuff you didn't really want or need in the first place. Common tricks are to make bundles that include items you don't want, to hugely understock the actual good deals, and to have manufacturers make a cheap barebones version that closely approximates a more common and expected version.

Apple products in particular don't get much of a discount, if anything at all. In some rare cases there can be a good discount outside of Apple stores, but it's heavily advertised, "limited to stock on hand", and they'll stock somewhere around 5-6 units. That's how they get thousands of people into the store, who then buy something else in order to not walk out empty handed.

I think you are absolutely correct when you say MAYBE you'd get one if you got in line REALLY early. Personally, that's not worth it to me, and I think you are the only one who can answer if it is worth it to you.

As an alternative, generally the best deals for Apple products are in their own refurb store, deals which are sporadic but ongoing. Refurbs for the portable products get a new battery, new case, new packaging and accessories, and the full 1-year warranty. Of course the iPad 4 and Mini aren't on the refurb store yet, but they'll be there soon enough.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:45 PM   #10
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Apple definitely won't have it on sale/cut however, it is up to walmart/target/best buy if they want to discount it so you might get lucky.
How do you know this?

Apple had the ipad on sale last year for black friday. Discount ranged from $21-$41 off depending which iPad you got.
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:16 PM   #11
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
How do you know this?

Apple had the ipad on sale last year for black friday. Discount ranged from $21-$41 off depending which iPad you got.
I just do. Will have to wait till next Friday to know for sure.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:24 PM   #12
rpearlberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
In the same boat....
What about buying the iPad now from Target and then going back either on BF (after the lines die down) and trying to get them to match with the gift card?
rpearlberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First world problem rant on the YouTube App. iRobertM iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Jul 25, 2013 01:39 PM
Here's a first world problem for ya Puonti OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Jul 6, 2013 09:39 AM
First world problem: iPhone, iPad, Note, MacAir... ryan.apham iPhone 12 Mar 21, 2013 01:26 PM
First World Problem / Dilemma: Color, Capacity and ... of iPad Mini iAi iPad 1 Oct 26, 2012 02:35 PM
First world problem Hpye Wasteland 0 Sep 17, 2012 12:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps