Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1
IJBrekke
macrumors regular

Is there any reason to put iOS6 on the iPhone 4?

I'm trying to discern why I would want to "upgrade" at all.

I gain very few (if any) features, I lose Google Maps, my battery life may get worse, the phone may become laggy/slower (which definitely happened when I upgraded to iOS5)...I just don't get it.

The current drawback of 5.1.1 is that I cannot restore my phone without upgrading, so the first time I have a problem I will be stuck. Also, OTA updates has downloaded iOS6 onto my device and is currently taking up 800mb of space.

So am I missing something here? Why upgrade?
IJBrekke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:18 PM   #2
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Passbook and privacy options are worth the upgrade for me.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:19 PM   #3
IJBrekke
macrumors regular

Have they come with any trade-offs in performance? I am planning on setting up as a new phone if I choose to try iOS6.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJBrekke View Post
Have they come with any trade-offs in performance? I am planning on setting up as a new phone if I choose to try iOS6.
I didn't notice anything...
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:32 PM   #5
brylliant
Banned

Quote:
If anything, you'll see a smoother experience. The only trade off is the YouTube app, which was outdated anyway.
brylliant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
clauzzz203
macrumors member

Reason: you're not amish
clauzzz203 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm trying to discern why I would want to "upgrade" at all.

I gain very few (if any) features, I lose Google Maps, my battery life may get worse, the phone may become laggy/slower (which definitely happened when I upgraded to iOS5)...I just don't get it.

The current drawback of 5.1.1 is that I cannot restore my phone without upgrading, so the first time I have a problem I will be stuck. Also, OTA updates has downloaded iOS6 onto my device and is currently taking up 800mb of space.

So am I missing something here? Why upgrade?
Your concerns are all very legit, the most important one being the lack of google maps, as well as the possibility of a decline in performance, no matter what ppl say.

I'd say stay on 5.1.1 on your iPhone 4 as long as possible. Stay away from iOS 6, the benefits of upgrading to it are very minute & not really that important.
Beeplance is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Your concerns are all very legit, the most important one being the lack of google maps, as well as the possibility of a decline in performance, no matter what ppl say.

I'd say stay on 5.1.1 on your iPhone 4 as long as possible. Stay away from iOS 6, the benefits of upgrading to it are very minute & not really that important.
Basically it's this. I will never upgrade to ios6 with my iPhone 4, period, there's nothing that could value it, plus I would lose the jailbreak which is a show stopper for me
Grolubao is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Idefix
macrumors 6502

Stay on 5.1!!!

As for being able to restore, you've got it unlocked from ATT, right? (*if you're on ATT?)

If so, jailbreak it, get your blobs set aside from Tiny Umbrella, you should be able to restore to 5.1.
Idefix is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:37 PM   #10
brylliant
Banned

I thought about my answer and want to give it another go.
In ios 6, there seriously isn't a compelling reason that would make you want to upgrade. There was Maps, but we all know what happened with that. Although, Maps is fine for me.

The removal of the YouTube app in ios 6 is a bummer, but its something you can live without. The replacement app is ok, but you can even get that on ios 5.1.1.

Stay with ios 5.1.1 for now, until you see a compelling reason to upgrade in the future.
brylliant is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:47 PM   #11
IJBrekke
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Thanks for the detailed responses everyone, I will stay on 5.1.1 until I see a legitimate reason to upgrade.

As for unlocking, I'm on Verizon. But if I jailbreak before trying iOS6 I can still go back.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:53 PM   #12
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Before I upgraded to the iPhone 5, I used iOS 6 on an iPhone 4 for a few days. I personally didn't notice the battery life taking a hit. My wife has run iOS 6 for the past month and a half on her iPhone 4 and hasn't complained about battery life. She has, however, complained about the lack of accuracy with Apple Maps.

The main reason I wanted iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 was for the Do Not Disturb feature. On an iPhone 4, you basically get revamped Privacy settings, Passbook, and Do Not Disturb. You don't get Siri or the "Flyover" stuff or turn-by-turn directions with Apple Maps. If none of the things iOS 6 gives you on an iPhone 4 are compelling to you, I'd say stay with 5.x and keep the traditional Google Maps app.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Thanks for the detailed responses everyone, I will stay on 5.1.1 until I see a legitimate reason to upgrade.

As for unlocking, I'm on Verizon. But if I jailbreak before trying iOS6 I can still go back.
Yeah that should be good. But I think you should stay there until you retire your phone or the phone disintegrates. I highly doubt iOS 6.1 would bring any groundbreaking feature to the 3GS & the 4, so might as well stay on 5.1.1.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Before I upgraded to the iPhone 5, I used iOS 6 on an iPhone 4 for a few days. I personally didn't notice the battery life taking a hit. My wife has run iOS 6 for the past month and a half on her iPhone 4 and hasn't complained about battery life. She has, however, complained about the lack of accuracy with Apple Maps.

The main reason I wanted iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 was for the Do Not Disturb feature. On an iPhone 4, you basically get revamped Privacy settings, Passbook, and Do Not Disturb. You don't get Siri or the "Flyover" stuff or turn-by-turn directions with Apple Maps. If none of the things iOS 6 gives you on an iPhone 4 are compelling to you, I'd say stay with 5.x and keep the traditional Google Maps app.
You can get No Disturb functionality with Jailbreak
Grolubao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

iOS 6 seems smoother to me with better battery life.
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:14 AM   #16
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

Staying on 5.1.1:

You keep the trustworthy Google Maps, avoid the terrible wifi bugs which are not fixed on 6.0.1, keep the phone and music app UI which is cool.

Updating to 6:

Beautiful but useless Apple Maps (unless you live on a big, important city, they suck in Mexico), the cool multicolour status bar, remove the outdated YouTube app, better privacy controls, passbook, new share sheet. You don't get Siri or panorama mode though.

So yeah, go on and update if you don't use maps and you rely on carrier network instead of wifi.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:38 AM   #17
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

I would stick with iOS 5.
Drunken Master is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:18 AM   #18
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Passbook for sure. Actually it seems to run much better than iOS 5 in my experience. It's extended my iPhone 4's life for sure. I was worried about the performance on iOS 5, so I was really hoping to get an iPhone 5. But now I don't really care as much, iOS 6 works great on it!
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #19
Lara F
macrumors 6502a

Passbook works very nicely for Starbucks, but I've yet to find another business I'd use at all regularly. YMMV. Do Not Disturb is indeed a nice feature, as is Tab sync in Safari. And agree performance hasn't degraded.

But unless you're in an area that's decently served by Apple Maps (which I'd hope Long Beach is), probably not worth the tradeoff. I'd also add the App Store to the list of negatives - it's much buggier compared to before iOS 6.
Lara F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 PM   #20
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post

This is good advice.

I'd give ANYTHING to roll back on my phone, but that's not possible.

For me it's the annoyance of something broken in mail for Exchange Server when on Wi-Fi.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:44 PM   #21
TWD98j
macrumors regular

I have a 4S but I'm still on 5.1.1 and intend on staying there for as long as I can.

Bugs aside, this was the first iOS release where, upon its unveiling at WWDC I just thought to myself "meh".

No "gotta have it" features this time. Nothing on the caliber of multitasking, iMessage, notification center, mms, the app store, etc from past iOS releases.

My 2 cents.
TWD98j is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Zcott
macrumors 68020

Maps?

/runs
Zcott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:23 PM   #23
g-7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
the phone may become laggy/slower (which definitely happened when I upgraded to iOS5)
For me iOS 6 is actually faster than iOS 5, even though I have restored my iPhone 4 from backup, not set up as a new one.
g-7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

I would agree. Stay on 5.1.1. 4S, maybe go to iOS6 (though I'm not), but definitely no point on a straight 4.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:37 AM   #25
bripab007
macrumors 6502

If you're happy with 5.1 and you can live without any of these features and all the associated security patches...: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_ver...istory#iOS_6.x
bripab007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6