Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
The following cars share the same platform as well.

Nissan Altima, Maxima and Quest

VW Phaeton, Bentley Continental GT and the Audi A8.

VW Golf, Jetta, New Beetle, Audi TT and A3.

Yes, I know this. What I'm getting at is that the TSX, Accords, and TL aren't as different as you think they are.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry, I mean't TL, not RL.

The 2nd Gen TSX is a JDM/European Honda Accord, which in turn shares the same platform as the Honda Inspire (AKA Honda Accord sold in the US).

Granted yes they do offer some differences in body styling (and the Acura is slightly nicer), but they're very similar.

1st gen did not 2nd gen.

----------

I personally like the new Maxima over the Accord or Camry.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
If you need a vote for the Honda. Here's mine. I have a 2013 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 in White Orchid Pearl that I've had for just over a month. I love the car, especially the V6 power. The fit and finish are immaculate. I think the new Accord looks better than the TSX.

This one replaces a 2011 Accord Coupe LX in Belize Blue Pearl with only 8800 miles that was totaled when an an unlicensed, uninsured driver pulled out in front of me back in late September.

I like hearing that! woo.

I drove the EX-L & loved it -- I drove the camry and loved the power, however I don't like how unrefined and "simple" it is.

I also drove a 13' Altima and HATED it! :mad:

I think i'm going to pick up a white EX-L Accord. I am going to try to get a good deal and if I seal it i'm taking it home.

SASouth

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2006
I like hearing that! woo.

I drove the EX-L & loved it -- I drove the camry and loved the power, however I don't like how unrefined and "simple" it is.

I also drove a 13' Altima and HATED it! :mad:

I think i'm going to pick up a white EX-L Accord. I am going to try to get a good deal and if I seal it i'm taking it home.

I don't think you'll regret it. Good luck!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
For brand, I'd probably consider a Honda more heavily over an Acura. I looked at the gas mileage which would be a deciding factor for me and they seem very similar, the Honda might have a slight edge.

Have you test driven both? I test drove a lot of cars when I bought my last car but I ruled out Acura pretty much immediately and didn't test drive one but maybe that is my own bias :)

They are generally the same car with the Acura having the luxury finish. Why would you prefer the Honda except to save the additional cost?

SASouth

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2006
They are generally the same car with the Acura having the luxury finish. Why would you prefer the Honda except to save the additional cost?

Why pay more for some bits of plastic? Besides the 2013 Accord and the Acura TSX are not all that different on the inside. In fact, I like the Accord interior better.

Acura TSX:
2013-tsx-interior-with-technology-package-and-graystone-interior-two-people_hires.jpg

Honda Accord EX-L:
HondaEXLInterior.jpg

SASouth

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2006
"Like" is very subjective.

Maybe it's my age, but I like the subtle tone of the TSX. Less 'jarring'.

Chrome in the cabin that causes glare is not for me.

And is that brushed nickle under the dash in the TSX?? :cool:

Of course "like" is subjective. It's merely my opinion. That really wasn't my point.

The point of my comment is to illustrate that the interiors of the two cars are not all that different and to ask the question, "Why pay more for what is basically the same car just to get some perceived benefit of 'luxury'?"

As for your "jarring" comment, I'll use your words: "Like" is very subjective.

I haven't found anything in the interior of the Accord to be particularly jarring or even noticeable; and I'm no spring chicken, myself.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
The TSX is an older car, its been on the market for years.

I know the ILX is on the Civic platform, but maybe that would be a good alternative?

If not, i say go with the Accord. I am seeing it around and i really like it! I have not seen the coupe in person, but that is something I would go for!

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Acura= Better warranty, better service, loaner cars, better sales experience, and a better looking car, and you are driving a Luxury car.

Honda=Cheaper by a little, more newer options/features, going to be everywhere (common car), reliable, and maybe more roomy, not as good service, no loaner cars, less warranty.

SASouth

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2006
Acura= Better warranty, better service, loaner cars, better sales experience, and a better looking car, and you are driving a Luxury car.

Honda=Cheaper by a little, more newer options/features, going to be everywhere (common car), reliable, and maybe more roomy, not as good service, no loaner cars, less warranty.

Outside of the longer warranty I see nothing in the TSX that warrants the increase in price. If I want a longer warranty I can buy one for a lot less than what they get for an Acura.

I have a great relationship with my Honda dealer, and get great pricing and an excellent sales experience and service.

I don't think that the TSX is a better looking car. It looks like a 2012 Accord. Stodgy. Nowhere as good looking as the 2013 Accord.

Have you even looked at the top spec 2013 Accords? An EX-L V6 with Navi is on par with anything you get with the Acura nameplate on it. The only thing it lacks is the snob factor that apparently some folks buy into.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
So you rather be without your car while it's in getting repairs done hitching a ride? Loaner cars are nice. Longer warranty is nice. Acura/Lexus/Infiniti and so on will all have better service than just a normal dealer. You probably have never experienced a luxury car service before. We own both Acura's and Honda's. Actually the Accord V6 has a few "new" features that some Acuras do not have, but some Acura's have many more features in the TL or above cars. The TSX use to be the base model Acura, now the ILX is. The TSX has rumors of either beign cut, or redesigned soon.

Yes I have looked at the Accord and plan too again this weekend. Funny thing about what you said is the TSX looks like the Accord 2012 model. It has no resemblence at all of that car, or any Acura for that matter. They look way different.

Outside of the longer warranty I see nothing in the TSX that warrants the increase in price. If I want a longer warranty I can buy one for a lot less than what they get for an Acura.

I have a great relationship with my Honda dealer, and get great pricing and an excellent sales experience and service.

I don't think that the TSX is a better looking car. It looks like a 2012 Accord. Stodgy. Nowhere as good looking as the 2013 Accord.

Have you even looked at the top spec 2013 Accords? An EX-L V6 with Navi is on par with anything you get with the Acura nameplate on it. The only thing it lacks is the snob factor that apparently some folks buy into.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just bought a 2012 TSX w/ tech package and did my research. There is absolutely no difference between the 2012 and 2013 models. If you can snag a year end clearance deal on the 2012, get it. There's nothing to gain by going with a 2013.

It's a great car, I love mine. I didn't bother looking at the Accord as I prefer the looks of the TSX both inside and out. And don't bother with the ILX. For a couple grand more, the TSX is a bigger car with more power. Rumor has it that the TSX is either going to be axed or re-designed with a price increase because I honestly don't see the point of having both the ILX and TSX at their current prices.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I just bought a 2012 TSX w/ tech package and did my research. There is absolutely no difference between the 2012 and 2013 models. If you can snag a year end clearance deal on the 2012, get it. There's nothing to gain by going with a 2013.

It's a great car, I love mine. I didn't bother looking at the Accord as I prefer the looks of the TSX both inside and out. And don't bother with the ILX. For a couple grand more, the TSX is a bigger car with more power. Rumor has it that the TSX is either going to be axed or re-designed with a price increase because I honestly don't see the point of having both the ILX and TSX at their current prices.

I read (perhaps a rumor) that the TL and TSX will be combined into one model

PS I have had cars from most of the major german brands, and currently have an MDX. Customer service is very good, and no complaints at all. The MDX was priced very well, and I believe Acura gives great value. My lease would have been an extra $200-$300 had I gone with an ML or X5 etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.