Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turn of MacBook Air?

• I turn mine off frequently.

Votes: 39 18.9%
  • I turn mine off while traveling with it.

Votes: 21 10.2%
  • I keep mine on the majority of the time.

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • I keep mine on all the time unless forced to turn it off. (OS Updates)

Votes: 102 49.5%

• Total voters

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I'm getting my MBA today and I'm thrilled. I was wondering, I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD, do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Rarely.

Some what off topic...

Genius did tell me when I saw them last week about Tethering issues not to leave her Plugged all the time or overnight. I use an External Monitor, which is why I do but now before I go to bed I unplugged her.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
I don't see any reason to leave my MBA on at night. Sure, it does not eat much power, but it turns on in 13 seconds, I can wait.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I'm getting my MBA today and I'm thrilled. I was wondering, I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD, do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?
Travelling? Well, technically during takeoff and landing, they want stuff turned off, O-F-F, off; but I don't know how they'd tell the difference if you just disabled wifi and closed the lid.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I've read a few things about a special sleep mode the MBA has. Plus, since its a SSD

Is no big deal. I've been letting my 10 years old Windows machine go to sleep and it has HDD. Apple just re-branded it Instant-On (most of us find not so instant)

do you ever turn it off before traveling with it or anything?

Up to you.

The airport people don't care as long as you are not using it during take-off/landing. When sleep on battery, WIFI doesn't come on so u won't bring down the plane.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I leave mine on 24/7, as I have it set to download shows while I am at work and can come home to enjoy instead of waiting. Saves me more power than doing the same thing on the 27" iMac.

The monitor I will set to turn off after a few minutes, but the computer stays active. I never turn off my iPad either.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I never turn off my iPad either.

Technically the iPad/iPod don't have power buttons. The so called OFF button is to disable the home button and touchscreen to avoid unintended wake ups.

----------

BTW, does Power Nap work with third-party programs such as Outlook or just Apple software?

PowerNap doesn't sound like a full-fledge scheduler. Am hoping there is a third-party that would do this, haven't researched.

Again, something built-in since WinXP, runs anything at a scheduled time and wakes up the machine to do so, every time or on AC only. OSX seems to be behind on certain things.

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
I didn't vote in the poll—a turn-off isn't required with OS updates, just a restart. My MBA has been turned off one time since I bought it, and only because I let a friend use it and she turned it off when she was done; its nice to know that the power button works, though :)

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Usually never unless I'm forced to. Though I did have to restart it a bunch of times last week. Something got screwed up somehow and it was getting stuck in "deep" sleep mode. I googled it and others had similar issues. If it was asleep for just awhile, it would start back up fine. However if it was asleep for an hour or more, it would freeze when I opened the lid. I ended up having to do a restore to fix it.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Just got it in the mail. I'm loving it so far. It's really fast compared to my '09 MBP. I don't think I'll be turning it off much either. :D

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
Congrats. I also never turn off my macs... I've had uptimes of months and the speed was just the same as always, so it really bugs me to see that some people do turn their macbooks off every day. It feels weird, but no matter what you say, they still do it. If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard :confused:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard :confused:

My aunt completely powers down her desktop machine after every use. She even physically reaches down and pulls the modem's power ward from the wall.

Can't punch. ;)

gertruded

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Northwestern Illinois
I turn off all my computers when not in actual use. There are back doors on all our machines that the authorities and our ruling corporations can access.

It is also important to use several different and rotating hard drives at with different OS's for startup and use different wireless networks during the day.

I have one computer that never goes on line to consolidate. The wi-fi card has been physically disabled.

Last edited:

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
I turn off all my computers when not in actual use. There are back doors on all our machines that the authorities and our ruling corporations can access.

It is also important to use several different and rotating hard drives at with different OS's for startup and use different wireless networks during the day.

I have one computer that never goes on line to consolidate. The wi-fi card has been physically disabled.

179_signs_____________3.jpg

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
When not in use, always.

0 watts used is always better than however little during sleep.

Same goes for all other devices, routers, tvs, etc. I just switch off the mains.

BeginnerXP

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I never turn my MBA off, power nap allows MBA to receive emails while it sleeps as well and I like that, power consumption while sleeping is very low so it doesn't concern me either.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Never turn my MBA off unless I have to like yesterday when after an uptime of 38 days my VPN wouldn't disconnect for some reason. Closing the LID is all I do otherwise.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I haven't found any evidence of either one being detrimental to the laptop, but personally I like turning it off every night. and having all my processes and RAM reset when I turn it back on.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I have found since getting my MBA about 3 weeks ago that I am not turning it off and basically leaving it on all the time and letting the display dim and not soon thereafter the computer goes to sleep the way I have my settings. Also because I feel less likely to get virus attacks, while away or sleeping with OSX.

My only concern is and has always been when a thunderstorm comes through my area. Yes I have it plugged into a surge protector but storms have always freaked me out. I feel like if we get a powers surge or the power goes out and than comes back on it might damage the computer. Especially those storms that turn the power off and back on several times when the power company transformers are trying to fix the situation and struggle to figure out if they can beat the storm or not!

Are storms an issue for anyone! Have you ever had a computer fried because of a storm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.