Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Have any Electrical Engineering friends? You should check all capacitors with an ESR meter. One of my relatives was good at replacing capacitors on motherboards, dsl modems - all manner of electronics.

This website http://www.badcaps.net has a forum just about bad capacitors, and they have a repair service as well - though shipping might be expensive from Malaysia.

Capacitors may be bad w/o much visible damage.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
If it's a Disk Utility software RAID, you can attach the drives whichever way you want (USB, FireWire, SATA) to any other Mac running the OS you had on your Mac Pro or later. The RAID set will work like on your Mac Pro – provided it hasn't been damaged by the logicboard dying.

I tried that but it just came up as "Raid Slice" all 4 HDDs were detected but they all appear as Raid Slice instead of the actual RAID partition :(

----------

What could cause such enormous smoke on the logic board that isn't visible from outside (nothing melted)?

No visual damage at all, im getting the machine back today, and ill take bunch of pictures for inspections, in fact, when the smoke came out from the Mac Pro, the Mac Pro is still on. :(

----------

Have any Electrical Engineering friends? You should check all capacitors with an ESR meter. One of my relatives was good at replacing capacitors on motherboards, dsl modems - all manner of electronics.

This website http://www.badcaps.net has a forum just about bad capacitors, and they have a repair service as well - though shipping might be expensive from Malaysia.

Capacitors may be bad w/o much visible damage.

I can replace capacitors myself too, Ill test the caps one by one when i get it back.

----------

Get a new board: http://www.ebay.pl/itm/GENUINE-APPL...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item2576baa1dd

This one seems to be for 3,1 despite description.

I contacted the seller, the seller said it was stock pictures. He said its for 1,1 and 2,1 and its not compatible with 3,1

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Alright, I think I've made up my mind. I'll only repair it if the cost were below $350 or MAX 400 inclusive shipping. Anything more then that then I'm not repairing it. I will use the casing for a hackintosh project and maybe try to sell off the Xeons, FB-DIMM RAMs and build a nice i7-3930K rig and put it into that casing, which will easily beat the existing 5400 Xeons.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Alright, I think I've made up my mind. I'll only repair it if the cost were below $350 or MAX 400 inclusive shipping. Anything more then that then I'm not repairing it. I will use the casing for a hackintosh project and maybe try to sell off the Xeons, FB-DIMM RAMs and build a nice i7-3930K rig and put it into that casing, which will easily beat the existing 5400 Xeons.

That's a good plan. Check out http://www.tonymacx86.com; I've built two Hackintoshes using this site. I also built one of them in a Power Mac G5 case (see sig). Tons of other forum members over there have done that, or used Mac Pro cases, too.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Thats what inspired me to do haha, i saw your sig PowerMac-i7 lol..

:)

About the 3930K (or 2011-socket CPUs in general): As of now there's no power management support for 2011-socket CPUs because hasn't used them yet. (It's a kernel-thing, I think.)
That means that all the great power saving features (not sure about Turbo Boost, however) don't work, i. e. it won't be very efficient.

But sticking with an 1155 socket system won't be a problem. Just about the only real-world advantage socket 2011 has over 1155 is multi-CPU support.
Since your initial thought was to build a single-CPU system anyway, you could go 1155, save a ton of money, and get the same performance.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I was thinking about a X79 setup too.
But mainly because I want to overclock the whole thing, and the i7 3770k doesen't do too well there. I planned to use a 3930k @ about 4.5Ghz.

Turbo Mode does work (somebody got it working), but sleep more doesen't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.