Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you sell your iPad 3 for a mini?

• Yes and I love it! Who needs Retina?

Votes: 102 47.7%
  • Yes and I returned it for a iPad 4 or kept my 3.

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • No. I kept my 3.

Votes: 91 42.5%

• Total voters

xpower180

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK/Dubai
Just before the ipad mini was released I took my ipad 3 with me to Dubai. This was the first time I've carried it around for any length of time or used it in a confined space and it wasn't a pleasant experience! The 3 is definitely too heavy, and the device was just too big to use for long periods on the plane IMO.
When I got home I went straight to the apple store to play with the mini and knew there and then I had to switch. The mini's screen is fine for me (size and quality) and the device is so light. No regrets saying goodbye to the ipad 3 here!

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
After using the mini for the past few days, I'm really happy with the decision. I'm not thrilled with going back to non-retina when I'm viewing non-mobile web pages or small text, but overall the experience is so much better. The form factor trumps the screen resolution, in my opinion.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
You seem to have the same lineup as me (except I still have my 3). Does the retina bother you when you go back to the mini from your phone or computer?

It's usable, website text still annoys me, but whatever. I think it's obvious the next iPad mini will have Retina otherwise Apple is going to disappoint a LOT of people. It's pretty much like how the iPhone 5 had to have LTE.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
It's usable, website text still annoys me, but whatever. I think it's obvious the next iPad mini will have Retina otherwise Apple is going to disappoint a LOT of people. It's pretty much like how the iPhone 5 had to have LTE.

I agree. I'm probably not going to wait though. I like the design and form factor, and my wife wants one too, so I can get two for the price of one (more or less). I also think they will have Retina next year so I'll let the first gen tide me over until then.

lindafus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
Sold iPad 3 bought wifi iPad4 and LTE Mini

Hi,

I had to think about it a long while before I figured out the way I actually use the ipad. :rolleyes: I finally, came up with a solution for my needs. I sold the iPad 3 4g 64gb (never used more then 10gb) I decided to get a Wifi iPad 4 16gb because this device sits near my bed and is always home. I then decided I needed the iPad Mini for travel and ordered that one with LTE. Now I have both devices used for different purposes. Makes sense to get the LTE on the Mini because it is so portable outside the house and save the cost difference on the iPad 4 used mainly in the house. Can not wait for Nov 21 to get the Mini.

The iPad 4 is awesome and truly is the best iPad every produced in my opinion I have owned all of them.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I'm trying to sort of, trading it for LNIB iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi + Cash. I have a 32GB iPad 3 LTE.

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I did and couldnt be happier. I am using it mostly for surfing the net and few games. Games look the same to me. Websites dont look as good but seriously a none issue to me. The display is still very nice and I did not find myself missing the 3 and how heavy it felt when using it in bed or taking it to the restroom....

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Yesterday I finally sold my iPad 3. Damned Spain (where I currently reside) is not the country you want to sell your iPad.

After much negotiating I set for the bargain price of €420,-.
This is for an 8 months old iPad 3 32GB + 4G , smart case, smart cover (new), hard shell, carbon skin. The iPad is 729 in shops. ah well.

I'm happy with my iPad Mini 32Gb white!

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I sold my ipad 3 16gb with the case for $510 before they announced the mini and ipad 4. Now I got the 32gb mini and the 16gb ipad 4 comming, will try out both and decide what to keep.

I got a feeling the apple.com store will have a lot of "refurbs" of the mini after xmas and spring. Could wait to pick up then and save $50 or so.

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
I debated about selling my 3 for a week or so, mainly because of all the contrasting reviews on this forum with regards to the mini. I did not make my mind up until I went to the store and got my hands on the mini - the next day I sold my 3.

For me the size and portability is more important than the retina screen, although for the first day or two I did miss it slightly - but now it doesn't bother me.

All in all I'm loving the mini and it's getting used ALOT!

tHe Rk

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I sold my 64gb iPad 3 to get the mini.

Over the past 6 months or so I've come to sort of loathe using it, not because of the experience or performance so much, but because of its bulkyness and size. It's so heavy and uncomfortable to hold, especially is lying down in bed to read, etc. not only is it heavy, but its not balanced well, one side is heavier than the other, which definitely adds to the awkwardness of using it.The iPad 3 also had a few other major annoyances including getting super hot to the touch, and performance hiccups here or there.

The mini so far has been fantastic! The size, weight, performance, and battery have been great! The build quality of the hardware is on a whole other level.

Of course the one glaring complaint is the non-retina, and truth be told its not really that bad. I definitely recommend using the browser in landscape to help the text show up bigger by default without having to pinch/zoom. Also many apps like tapatalk or even tweet bot have font size options to make font bigger.

Overall, you won't be disappointed, the size and weight are near perfect, and the reduced bezel is awesome, I can't wait for the days of no bezel all the way around.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I had both the iPad 4 and mini and returned the 4 because the 4 was just sitting around collecting dust. Now i can get a retina display 13" MBP or a 13" MBA.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I will stay with my iPad 3. The larger screen. I have several magazine subscriptions on the iPad, and the 9.7" screen is closer to the size of the printed page. The Retina display really helped clarity too.

efp722

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Philly
but why would you give up a larger + retina screen? I just don't understand.

It really just comes down to what a user needs. For me, my iPad was mainly for reading books, comics and web browsing. Was the retina display nice? Without a doubt- but it was just a royal pain in the but to lay in bed, relax and read.

For me, the trade off of gaining a smaller and lighter device was much for attractive then any retina display.

Now I do have a few games on my mini and to me, they look just fine and performance is great. :)

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Thanks for your feedback. I finally decided to take the plunge and get a mini. Sold my iPad 3, got 2 minis, and my wife and I couldn't be happier! The form factor is very nice, and the display is still very strong and crisp.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for your feedback. I finally decided to take the plunge and get a mini. Sold my iPad 3, got 2 minis, and my wife and I couldn't be happier! The form factor is very nice, and the display is still very strong and crisp.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Grant it I only had the iPad 3 for a week as I purchased an open box from Best Buy. I liked it but being so used to 7" android tablets, the size and weight I wasn't comfortable with. The screen was fantastic BUT.

I was lucky to be there when Best Buy got a shipment of the Mini. Bought it on impulse. I know I will not regret returning the iPad3 and I only used the Mini for one full day! Still get to talk to Siri! :)

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I just saw a mini for the first a couple days ago and was really impressed. For what I use my iPad for, the mini would be a better fit for me. But I really don't want to try to sell mine since I've only had it a few months. It seems like I'd just be throwing money away if I did that. In a few years, when my iPad is either slowed down to much due to iOS upgrades or not supporting the newest iOS, then I will likely get a mini.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I sold it to Amazon trade-in. Offered me $500 for iPad 3 Verizon - 32GB "Like New"

Better than Gazelle's $350 offer....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.