Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
ScreenShot2012-11-11at80426PM.png

I understand that ATV dose not support HD audio but I couldn't help but find this setting. Dose this allow us for HD audio so when future technology comes out and supports it I won't have to re-handbreak my VLC rips?

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Handbrake is not just for users of Apple TVs, other players can play HD Audio.

So DTSHD is indeed the HD audio for those who can support it... but of course ATV can't because it dosen't support it. So if say the ATV4 comes out and supports HD audio I can play then play the DTSHD track?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
So DTSHD is indeed the HD audio for those who can support it... but of course ATV can't because it dosen't support it. So if say the ATV4 comes out and supports HD audio I can play then play the DTSHD track?

In a word yes, you can leave the DTSHD audio track in there and down convert it on another audio track to something that the Apple TV can play such Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital 5.1 or etc... Your Apple TV will simply ignore the DTS track and play the Dolby one instead.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Just to be clear, HB will convert the DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 surround using the 6-channel discrete selection.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
hmm... so would it make sense to include a 3rd DTS HD pass thru track for potential future use even though it won't work now?

If so, I wish I would have been doing this all along...

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
hmm... so would it make sense to include a 3rd DTS HD pass thru track for potential future use even though it won't work now?

Probably not. The current ATV doesn't even support lossy DTS and last time I checked, the only true 5.1 that comes with iTunes purchased content is 384kbps AC3. Sound "quality" does not appear to be a concern of Apple's.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Probably not. The current ATV doesn't even support lossy DTS and last time I checked, the only true 5.1 that comes with iTunes purchased content is 384kbps AC3. Sound "quality" does not appear to be a concern of Apple's.

well, to be specific, the atv's of all gen's support up to 448 kbps Dolby Digital 5.1

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012

If so, I wish I would have been doing this all along...

I'm going to be doing it to future proof myself. I guess it's just up for debate... that and it gives me the opportunity to throw away the MKV files. However, I think it will take awhile for Apple to include it... but you can jailbrake the ATV to support it.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I'm going to be doing it to future proof myself. I guess it's just up for debate... that and it gives me the opportunity to throw away the MKV files. However, I think it will take awhile for Apple to include it... but you can jailbrake the ATV to support it.

There's not enough data throughput in an optical cable to support HD Audio, in theory it's just passthrough though and the same applies from HDMI which can also pass through an audio signal. In theory the Apple TV could support HD audio over HDMI, but it doesn't support the right codecs out of the box.

The reality is that the difference between 6 channel discreet, Dolby Digital, which the Apple TV supports, and higher standards is marginal at best in terms of effect for the home theatre experience. You're better off buying fewer speakers of better quality in 5.1 then spending the extra on 7.1. Furthermore, without a large room for a dedicated theatre setup most people won't notice the difference between 5.1, and 7.1 and you can actually over speaker a room.

Quality over quantity, the biggest bonus of HD formats is losless audio so with decent enough speakers you can here it as it was recorded rather than through a lossy audio formats.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
There's not enough data throughput in an optical cable to support it, in theory it's just passthrough though and the same applies from HDMI. In theory the Apple TV could support HD audio over HDMI, but it doesn't support the right codecs out of the box.

The reality is that the difference between 6.1 the Apple TV supports and higher standards is marginal at best as is the difference in audio quality you're better off buying fewer speakers of better quality.
I had a Popbox and it supported HD audio over optical. But I agree with you that telling the difference in HD vs normal audio is marginal at best.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.