Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss :)

Attachments

• 12.11.12-PassbookiOS6-1.jpg
    12.11.12-PassbookiOS6-1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,254

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Horrible colour choice for the text, it was an eye-torture trying to read that paragraph.
Jony Ive doesn't always come up with great things, taking form over function is one of his flaws

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
Horrible colour choice for the text, it was an eye-torture trying to read that paragraph.
Jony Ive doesn't always come up with great things, taking form over function is one of his flaws

Like or dislike, do you think he had anything to do with that new welcome screen? I'd bet anything he did. The style and flatter simplicity sounds exactly like what he has expressed!

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
*Keeps checking these threads for mockups, and is constantly disappointed.*

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss :)

It will be a process - and a long one. They need to find a "language" and they need to coordinate how to implement it into both OSX and IOS. I don't expect to see major changes on this side of IOS8. So I don't think the welcome screen is something Ive is involved in at all... The first sign You'll see is the shredder being killed...

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
*Keeps checking these threads for mockups, and is constantly disappointed.*

Sorry! I actually am working on some but haven't had a lot of time to complete them lately :(

It will be a process - and a long one. They need to find a "language" and they need to coordinate how to implement it into both OSX and IOS. I don't expect to see major changes on this side of IOS8. So I don't think the welcome screen is something Ive is involved in at all... The first sign You'll see is the shredder being killed...

Yes I agree, but I think you will see a lot of changes in iOS 7 because they need to! People are craving something fresh. I don't think it will be an earth shattering complete UI redesign, but a lot of refinements across the board!

I doubt Ive had any hand at this. It's got potential, but it's not great.

I think it has a noticeably different design style than the rest of iOS so I think it makes perfect sense he had oversight with it.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Jony Ive probably hasn't unpacked yet from moving to his new office. No way he's had any influence on any OS look yet.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

Agreed. I do wish Apple (and MS and others) would read the RNIB's Clear Text guidelines for making text easier to read for those with vision problems. What's the point of a retina display if some ass**** hobbles it by using low contrast for text?

karter16

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Jony Ive probably hasn't unpacked yet from moving to his new office. No way he's had any influence on any OS look yet.

Agreed - I very much doubt he's had anything to do with this. If you ask me this is just a further progression along the "light-en-ing" of the UI that we've been seeing in iOS6. Music app, app store, etc.

For what it's worth light-grey text on light background is not ideal for mobile devices in my opinion... Also the icons look rather metro-esque - I much prefer the icons in the old passbook welcome screen.

macleod644

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I like the old one better I just checked them out side by side and the original one is better IMO. I hope Jony didn't have a say in this. He seems like he would make it much cooler than that plain looking thing

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
OP's picture isn't the best quality...Apple's entire website uses the same color scheme, and has for a really long time. So now you are all going to tell us that Apple has no idea of what they are doing when it comes to fonts and font colors on screens?

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
Well looks like the fan boys found their new demigod. Ive will be responsible for every pixel shift from here on out. Naw, forget the dozens of uber talented designers at Apple... Ive touches everything. He's in all places at one time. I bet he spent the time since his promotion doing nothing but a splash page for the Passbook app. I mean, what else would be a better use of his time?

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Well looks like the fan boys found their new demigod. Ives will be responsible for every pixel shift from here on out. Naw, forget the dozens of uber talented designers at Apple... Ive touches everything. He's in all places at one time. I bet he spent the time since his promotion doing nothing but a splash page for the Passbook app. I mean, what else would be a better use of his time?

This.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Well looks like the fan boys found their new demigod. Ive will be responsible for every pixel shift from here on out. Naw, forget the dozens of uber talented designers at Apple... Ive touches everything. He's in all places at one time. I bet he spent the time since his promotion doing nothing but a splash page for the Passbook app. I mean, what else would be a better use of his time?

This is exactly how it feels around here nowadays. Personally, I am saddened that some of his focus will be removed from making great hardware, which is in my opinion what he does best.

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
Have you seen Google Now? That's how I imagine an OS designed by Jony Ive will look. Google really nailed the design language there. It's simple, legible, and pretty without any excess kitsch.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Have you seen Google Now? That's how I imagine an OS designed by Jony Ive will look. Google really nailed the design language there. It's simple, legible, and pretty without any excess kitsch.

I always thought Google's Now interface is too simplistic. I would do the same thing with CSS. Just make make the background colour an off white, add some corner radius and box shadow and... done. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they are using since they are just reformatting web search results.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney

Why would he move out of the secret lair?
All the cool prototyping machines are there.
Unless he's moving into Steve's old office it has the nice furniture and probably a hidden lift to the secret lair with the cool toys anyway.

I think it'll be interesting to see what effects JI has on the system. I mean he seems to be a full canvas kind of designer. Hardware under his direction has favoured pushing the screen quality while the removing distraction from that screen (well with the exception of Glare). If the same gets applied to the OS then to me the push will be in giving developers more and more power to make beautiful and distinct things on the canvas.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

You forgot the other side of it: Any "bad" design decisions will somehow be attributed to Forstall, even 2 years down the road.

Just like how any good decisions Apple makes now are still attributed to Steve, while any bad ones are blamed on Tim. :rolleyes:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I doubt Ive will be "designing" anything. He will just be giving his opinion on what's being designed and suggestions for improvements.

I like that he will have the YES/NO on stuff making it to our iDevices :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Ive has taste.

Even if he just decision-makes with a "Yes/No/Try Harder" that will be better for iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.