Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I heard the recent figures on JCP psf revenues for pre ($134) and post ($269) retrofit. 11% have been retrofitted. 7m sf have been retrofitted since 8-1-12. Apple by comparison has a bit over 3m sf of retail in 11 years.

JCP market cap is $3.8B. Pocket change for Apple and includes a bunch of real estate.

Rocketman

Last edited:

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
The Tysons store was the first Apple Store in the world. I think they just chose a spot, not really giving thought to size as they had no idea how it would turn out. Then Reston and Fair Oaks were built as "overflow" stores to handle extre traffic from Tysons.

Just my thoughts.

Seriously!? In the entire world?

I would have thought they would have opened their first store in California someplace. It seems strange they chose Washington D.C.

Well, technically, they opened two Apple stores on the same day: May 19, 2001. Tysons Corner Center mall in Tysons Corner, Virginia and Glendale Galleria in Glendale, California. But with time zones, Tysons was open first.

http://www.cultofmac.com/95409/may-2001-the-first-apple-store-opens/
Look how young Steve Jobs looked in 2001.

I remember those black shelves and iMac registers near the entrance! They used to have registers!

Last edited:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Nice to see the Communists out in force today. Business = bad. Profit = bad. Success = bad. Power to the Proletariat State, comrades!

:rolleyes:

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
This is wonderful news!

Instead of purchasing for my wife an expensive ring or a bracelet from a "cheap" Tiffany store, I'll purchase a cheap iPod nano case from the more expensive Apple Store.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
From what I've read, to increase profits. That's kinda the point of a business. But I agree, why does Apple need even more profit than it has now?

Why do you want more money for what you do? You're doing fine now with what you're making.

----------

And oohhh, oh look Apple sold more then Tiffany's!!!!!! Yeah, not really surprising..

No, Apple sold more per square foot then Tiffany's. Big difference.

----------

Well, still means nothing to me. A useless stats in my opinion.

We need to allow for some uneducated people visiting this site I guess.

----------

Haha. Another year, another first year finish in terms of $/sq. ft. Apple will continue to enjoy jamming this factoid every meeting/orientation. They are very proud of this stat.

Absolutely! Every company's primary focus is to make everything it does more effective and efficient. This is the primary metric used to illustrate how well they are doing that. Congratulations Apple!

michaeldigital

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
And how does this make their last product innovative? Better? Worth the increasing price?

Yeah, one of those many many micro-news any corporation could do in other domains, that actually don't mean anything but Apple making money and obviously not investing it in R&D, quality or consumer prices anymore...but rather in ridiculous patent lawsuits.

Apple invested over $1 Billion in R&D last year.

As far as pricing, most people are only concerned with TIC and not TOC. TIC =Total initial cost. TOC =Total cost of operation. After a 5 year period Apple products cost less to maintain and run that similar products from other manufacturers and generally have a much longer useful life span and a much higher resale value. Check used prices on eBay vs. PC's..

Last edited:

Rhymecrafter

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Ashland, OR USA
I have to agree. Very few people are actually buying whenever I've been in their - most go in there for the free wifi, to check emails and facebook...feel like slapping them sometimes.

Not sure why Apple still havent blocked access to social networks on their in-store wifi. I know they want to draw people in to use the machines, but surely they arent getting a sale anyway from someone who's only purpose in the shop is to post a status update.

Basic strategy, every time you take something away at the retail level you reduce numbers. Numbers equal sales, you only have to look at everybody else on this list to know why Apple does it the way they do.

Good example, how many times have you seen a sign "restrooms for customers only", yet practically everybody I know, who uses a restroom at a retail store will buy something just to feel ok about using the facillities (basic human psychology). There are always exceptions, but the basic principle applies. Let the people in for the reason they want and they will spend money, be it today or tomorrow, they are experiencing the product, the staff, the location, you name it...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Wow over 2x second place, Apple dominates at this.

Other than Tiffany, how many of the other 9 have you even heard of?

Makes it kind of suspect if you ask me....

Good example, how many times have you seen a sign "restrooms for customers only", yet practically everybody I know, who uses a restroom at a retail store will buy something just to feel ok about using the facillities (basic human psychology).

Do Apple stores have restrooms? If they did, all that glass would make me a little embarrassed to relieve myself.

Last edited:

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
That can be an indication that the market was overpricing the stock. The company's tangible per share book value is way below even the current market price... so the premium for future cash flows could be too steep (and given the last two quarters performance, I think it is a little steep...).

Yet Amazon is allowed to meander along in fantasy land with its P/E of over three thousand. THe P/E ratio is the number one indicator of whether or not the market is overpricing the shares. The market hates Apple, for no good reason. Apple's P/E ratio even after the "bad" quarters is still lower than almost any blue chip other than petroleum stocks. It's lower than Coca Cola, Home Depot, Walmart, Microsoft, General Electric and IBM just to name a few.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The market hates Apple, for no good reason.

How about decades of arrogant behaviour for a reason?

Or how about pointless lawsuits against unrelated companies?

Or how about contempt for the UK courts?

There are lots of reasons to hate Apple.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
How about decades of arrogant behaviour for a reason?

Or how about pointless lawsuits against unrelated companies?

Or how about contempt for the UK courts?

There are lots of reasons to hate Apple.

Off topic much? I don't care how arrogant a company is. Hubris should not deter sound investment.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Other than Tiffany, how many of the other 9 have you even heard of?

Makes it kind of suspect if you ask me....
You are saying that tongue in cheek, right, Aiden? That list is practically a who's who of the trendiest brands in the market today. Well, with the exception of Fairway Market, which I believe is a boutique supermarket.

otherjobs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
lololemon? what is it? :rolleyes:

Similar to lolwutpear:

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
lololemon? what is it? :rolleyes:

Lululemon was Started in Vancouver and has even spread to Australia.
It's target market is definitely not the same as those who post on the forum.

Very popular among young and middle aged women, and gay men.

Can see the logo on the butts of many ladies wearing yoga tights.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Quite a few. Apple isn't even in the top 10

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2011/07/28/which-companies-in-the-sp-spend-the-most-in-rd/

Also - R&D spending doesn't equate to being innovative.

http://www.businessinsider.com/booz-and-cos-innovation-study-2011-10?op=1

To your argument - Apple is considered very innovative (as of 2011) despite its lower R&D spending

Your absolutely right. Both IBM and Microsoft (worked at IBM and have some ongoing projects at MS research) have much less to show in the way of products for the amount of research dollars spent.

Of course, IBM has a tendency to generate cool new ideas, but do so much earlier than the public is ready for them and consequently shut the program down or shift for geopolitical reasons.

Microsoft, on the other hand has some of the neatest work going on in their labs, but due to the conservative nature of Ballmer and the rest of the corporation, most never see the light of day. "Surface" is one of the very few that has made it into a product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.