Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citykid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
On my Panasonic TV, when the apple TV is connected to either hdmi I or II, there is video but no sound. When I'm in the menu though, I can hear the clicks as I scroll through menu items. Why?

On another tv there is no problem. Video & audio.
Thanks.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
The most probable answer is that you have the Dolby Audio Setting set to either On or Auto. Most TVs can't decode a Dolby Digital signal, so you need to turn this to off when listening through the TV.

Alternately, you can hold the center button down on the remote when a video is playing, go to the top and choose Audio. Select one of the other audio tracks until you find the AAC track that will play through your TV.

citykid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
That was it! Audio settings on apple tv. Just changed everything. Believe it was set to auto instead or digital.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
That was it! Audio settings on apple tv. Just changed everything. Believe it was set to auto instead or digital.
On my set up, the Auto setting has never done what I wanted it to do, send stereo to my TV, when I'm listening directly, or digital when I'm using the 5.1 system. I usually leave it on Digital and use the center button to change it manually, when I don't want to use the amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.