Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I didn't see the iPod touch 5 as an upgrade I would buy. First off the price, $300 is to expensive for it. I would probably buy it if it was $200-$250 but $300 is very close to the iPad mini's $330 price point, which why wouldn't you pay $30 for a ~4 inch bigger display. My 4th generation runs fine (I know that isn't the case for everyone) with apps running smooth and good battery (~7 hours of general usage) Overall I'll be interested in what Apple has in store next year before I would drop $300 on the 5.

jdpmacav

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I didn't see the iPod touch 5 as an upgrade I would buy. First off the price, $300 is to expensive for it. I would probably buy it if it was $200-$250 but $300 is very close to the iPad mini's $330 price point, which why wouldn't you pay $30 for a ~4 inch bigger display. My 4th generation runs fine (I know that isn't the case for everyone) with apps running smooth and good battery (~7 hours of general usage) Overall I'll be interested in what Apple has in store next year before I would drop $300 on the 5.

I agree. If I had a 4th generation touch, I probably wouldn't upgrade, but I still have a 2nd generation. So for me, the upgrade is definitely worth it!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My 64GB 4G iPod Touch is still working and looking as great as it did when I first removed it from the box. I'm still running 5.x and will continue to.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
My 64GB 4th Gen works fine. I see no reason to buy the 5th Gen just to spend money. When it dies I'll upgrade. Apple can wait for my money. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I sold my 4th gen couple month back gettin ready to land a 5G, but after i see the price and couple of review.

I am planing to get a brand new 16G 4th gen white ( i used to own 8G) instead. I don't take that many pictures and i think the 5th gen is little too thin and it lacks ALS.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
First off the price, $300 is to expensive for it.

The 32GB 4th gen was also $300. You're getting a device that has been improved in every way with a larger screen with better color saturation, better camera lens, flash, better speaker, faster processor, and double the ram, at the same price. So how did you come to the conclusion it was too expensive?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm still using my white iPod touch 4G 32GB I bought last dec. Well, I primarily use it as the "iPod" function, listening to music & occasionally watching video. The only 3 games I have on it are Fruit Ninja, Plants vs Zombies & Temple Run.

Still has very good battery life. I manage around 1 week using it to listen to music only. Plus it's still on 5.1.1, don't ever want to update to iOS 6 as I don't need the new features.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I love my 4th gen, but ever since I upgraded to iOS 6 the battery life is terrible. And it takes so long to load things. I wanted it to have the same version of iOS as my new mini, but I don't think it can handle it.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
The 32GB 4th gen was also $300. You're getting a device that has been improved in every way with a larger screen with better color saturation, better camera lens, flash, better speaker, faster processor, and double the ram, at the same price. So how did you come to the conclusion it was too expensive?

Because Apple took two years to do that.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I'd like to stick with the 4g (on 5.1.1) I got not too long ago. Since your touch runs fine, could you try these 2 sites and see if it crashes (with no background apps running and 1 tab only)?

-Apple website go to the iPhone section. Let the page load and then double tap to zoom in, should be instant crash.
-Google news desktop version. Same procedure as above.

I'm still using my white iPod touch 4G 32GB I bought last dec. Well, I primarily use it as the "iPod" function, listening to music & occasionally watching video. The only 3 games I have on it are Fruit Ninja, Plants vs Zombies & Temple Run.

Still has very good battery life. I manage around 1 week using it to listen to music only. Plus it's still on 5.1.1, don't ever want to update to iOS 6 as I don't need the new features.

Could you also try the 2 sites I mentioned? I'd like to know if the Safari crashing issue is on my end or everyone has this problem (256MB RAM the culprit). If it's specific to my touch, I will restore and set up as new.

What iOS 5 version was the smoothest for you? 5.1.1 or 5.1? Or are they both the same?

My 64GB 4G iPod Touch is still working and looking as great as it did when I first removed it from the box. I'm still running 5.x and will continue to.

I know you said 5.1.1 is the smoothest 5.X experience for you but could you try the 2 sites?

I love my 4th gen, but ever since I upgraded to iOS 6 the battery life is terrible. And it takes so long to load things. I wanted it to have the same version of iOS as my new mini, but I don't think it can handle it.

And this is the reason why I probably never will update my touch to iOS 6. I also dislike the new music/iTunes/App Store layout along with no Google Maps or Youtube (I liked because no adds).

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
And this is the reason why I probably never will update my touch to iOS 6. I also dislike the new music/iTunes/App Store layout along with no Google Maps or Youtube (I liked because no adds).[/QUOTE]

Just to drop in my idea. If you were to stick with Ipod 4, it would probably only be good for music, video and games. Web browsing has been a dismal the first moment i got them, page refresh all the time if you left more than one open in safari or any other browser. Screen too small now anyway. You can capture 720P video but camera as a whole is quite useless.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Just to drop in my idea. If you were to stick with Ipod 4, it would probably only be good for music, video and games. Web browsing has been a dismal the first moment i got them, page refresh all the time if you left more than one open in safari or any other browser. Screen too small now anyway. You can capture 720P video but camera as a whole is quite useless.

I don't mind the page refresh since I experienced that often with my touch 1g. However crashing is another thing as that means all my background apps have to refresh which is very annoying.

For Safari, screen is small portrait but I use landscape anyways. Camera is fine for me since I don't use it in the dark.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I did upgrade to the 5 Gen. and I went from 64Gb down to 32Gb on the newer model.

But I rationalised that I just wasn't listening to half of the 54Gb music I had on the 4 Gen. and I wanted an increase in speed and a better screen. I managed to sell my old Touch for quite a good price, too.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I do not like the iPod Touch 5. I prefer the wider screen of the Ipod 4 touch. I like the iPad Mini, but too expensive. Maybe next year, I will get this year's a iPad Mini when the new model comes out.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Yeah, I'd like to stick with the 4g (on 5.1.1) I got not too long ago. Since your touch runs fine, could you try these 2 sites and see if it crashes (with no background apps running and 1 tab only)?

-Apple website go to the iPhone section. Let the page load and then double tap to zoom in, should be instant crash.
-Google news desktop version. Same procedure as above.

Could you also try the 2 sites I mentioned? I'd like to know if the Safari crashing issue is on my end or everyone has this problem (256MB RAM the culprit). If it's specific to my touch, I will restore and set up as new.

What iOS 5 version was the smoothest for you? 5.1.1 or 5.1? Or are they both the same?

I know you said 5.1.1 is the smoothest 5.X experience for you but could you try the 2 sites?

And this is the reason why I probably never will update my touch to iOS 6. I also dislike the new music/iTunes/App Store layout along with no Google Maps or Youtube (I liked because no adds).

Yes when I zoomed into the iPhone on the iPhone page it did crash.

----------

It took 2 years to put in a 1 year old A5 and a 5 megapixel camera.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I do not like the iPod Touch 5. I prefer the wider screen of the Ipod 4 touch. I like the iPad Mini, but too expensive. Maybe next year, I will get this year's a iPad Mini when the new model comes out.

What?? Both the iPod Touch 4th and 5th Generation devices have the same screen width. The 5th is only taller, thus when held in landscape, the 5th is wider.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA

Actually, if you wait two years, you'll get the best ipod touch yet!

J

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Because Apple took two years to do that.

That doesn't explain why the device is supposedly overpriced. Better hardware costs more money, and then there's inflation. Why is it supposed to be cheaper?

----------

When it comes to Apple products, you can say "i'll wait another year, for the next model which will be better" to infinity. There will always be a newer version in 1-2 years. In a year from now, there will be something better a year away from then.

The only time I personally decide to wait, is when there is a keynote less than 4 months away.

Psycna

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
better camera,
better cpu,
better ram,
better graphichs power,
better screen,
better design (I know, it varies from person to person but 4th gen was too scratchable),
better speaker,
better ios 6 (3d maps, siri, panorama etc.),
better battery life,
faster,
lightning connector,
airplay,
now can play 1080p movies (4th gen was only up to 720p),
iOS 7 support (probably (or definitely) 4th gen won't get this update)...

I think these reasons are enough for upgrade from 4 to 5.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
What?? Both the iPod Touch 4th and 5th Generation devices have the same screen width. The 5th is only taller, thus when held in landscape, the 5th is wider.

Yep, but the taller screen make the device looks unproportional. I understand all the hype with Iphone 5 because it releases once a year (for now) and people who only use Iphone will probably upgrade no matter what. Apple should make the screen wider as well and keep the same ratio. That way, all app will need no optimizing and have no letterboxed.

Gaming experiences, I hated my Gen4 sometimes because we mostly play games in landscape mode and if the screen is not any wider then we still get the same small screen only more details on the wider sides. Only widescreen video now can be view full screen, whats the point????

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yep, but the taller screen make the device looks unproportional. I understand all the hype with Iphone 5 because it releases once a year (for now) and people who only use Iphone will probably upgrade no matter what. Apple should make the screen wider as well and keep the same ratio. That way, all app will need no optimizing and have no letterboxed.

Gaming experiences, I hated my Gen4 sometimes because we mostly play games in landscape mode and if the screen is not any wider then we still get the same small screen only more details on the wider sides. Only widescreen video now can be view full screen, whats the point????

It's all about preferences. I myself love the new screen on the iPod Touch 5th gen.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

Wider screen will make the app developers go crazy to optimize for the screen. And won't be good for the apps you love that don't get updated here and their.
UPDATE:
Never mind I did not read the full post sry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.