Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 7, 2012, 01:52 AM   #176
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman130 View Post
It really disgusts me. I believe gays do not choose to be gay, it's the way God made them, contrary to the beliefs of my church. It's one of the few things I disagree with the LDS church about, I believe everything else.
The problem is the Church's stance on Scouts and LGBT youth do not serve gay youth in the Church. Gay kids cant be in scouts at all - but the Church uses Scouts as its only youth program for the young men. What are the gay youth in the church supposed to do, skip young mens and mutual?
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 04:14 AM   #177
Rampant.A.I.
macrumors 6502a

This is amazing, considering reports today that the BSA maintains blacklists of child predators, and yet has repeatedly ignored the lists and allowed convicted child molesters to re-join as adult leaders of troops of boys.

But hey, as long as they identify as straight, no harm, no foul, right?

It's those creepy LGBT folk openly carrying on loving, committed relationships with other consenting adults you have to watch out for.
Rampant.A.I. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 05:24 AM   #178
niuniu
Banned

Eagle Scouts from 6 States give up their position in the Boy Scouts over the policy

http://richarddawkins.net/videos/646...members-policy
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 02:14 PM   #179
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
So, am I supposed to do this til I die too?

I absolutely recognize those contributions. I worked with a lot of them. I get it. But at this point we should be much further along. I've done my public speaking in the 80's and 90's, gotten several death threats. It's time for this to be over. I feel bad that all we have done has not given the older folks peace, even though we've fought hard.
Yes...you keep fighting, just as we all must continue to do. You don't lay down your arms in a middle of a fight. Especially when you are close to victory.

As for it taking too long. While I agree that civil rights should not take this long to achieve, it is something that ALL civil rights struggles have had to go through. And some of them even a lot longer....look at how long blacks have been discriminated against and even still are in some ways. So yes, we will have to fight discrimination the rest of our lives unfortunately. Because even once marriage equality is the law of the land, that discrimination will still exist for a long time. Just as racism does in parts of the country still to this day. In other words, it's not like flipping a light switch and everything changes the next day. It won't. Civil rights and fighting discrimination and changing society attitudes are a long slow glacier-like process.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:30 AM   #180
Alameda
macrumors 6502

Anti-gay people are being painted into an ever-smaller corner every day. Employment discrimination, even in the military, is now fully illegal. Here in Northern California, being gay is much more socially acceptable than being anti-gay, and that's true in a lot of places. The war is largely won. Thanks to President Obama, very few battles remain.
Alameda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:34 AM   #181
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alameda View Post
Thanks to President Obama, very few battles remain.
I would say you have a mountain to climb. You haven't even begun to tackle institutional homophobia. Women and racial minorities are still fighting for equal treatment.
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #182
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alameda View Post
Anti-gay people are being painted into an ever-smaller corner every day. Employment discrimination, even in the military, is now fully illegal. Here in Northern California, being gay is much more socially acceptable than being anti-gay, and that's true in a lot of places. The war is largely won. Thanks to President Obama, very few battles remain.
I wish I had your faith. We have a very long way to go, and the tide can turn at any moment, just like it did in the late 70s-early 80s with AIDS. All it would take is one thing like that, and we'd be back where we started. Actually, all it would take is Romney winning in the fall. I guarantee you, he'd reverse all the progress made so far.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:00 AM   #183
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I wish I had your faith. We have a very long way to go, and the tide can turn at any moment, just like it did in the late 70s-early 80s with AIDS. All it would take is one thing like that, and we'd be back where we started. Actually, all it would take is Romney winning in the fall. I guarantee you, he'd reverse all the progress made so far.
What a great slogan for the next election:
"Mitt Romney: Worse thing for the gay community since AIDS"
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:09 PM   #184
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Love to see things like this:

UPS Ends Charitable Giving To Boy Scouts Of America Over Anti-Gay Discrimination

Quote:
UPS has confirmed that it has implemented a new policy for its charitable giving that will disqualify groups like the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. The UPS Foundation posted the following on its site yesterday:

The UPS Foundation seeks to support organizations that are in alignment with our focus areas, guidelines, and non-discrimination policy. UPS and The UPS Foundation do not discriminate against any person or organization with regard to categories protected by applicable law, as well as other categories protected by UPS and The UPS Foundation in our own policies. These include, but are not limited to race, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or military status, pregnancy, age and religion.
It's nice to see a company actually take a stand about such things....
Moyank24 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:56 PM   #185
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
It's nice to see a company actually take a stand about such things....
What is the next available number for Constitutional Amendments??
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:05 PM   #186
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, Mitt would certainly have been bad for the movement towards equality(taking us back or at the best, working to not move us forward, but I doubt think one president could undo all the steps made.

Some of our steps are solid are won't be taken back, some will need to be carefully guarded, and others are still aways away.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues