Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:57 PM   #226
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgick View Post
My new get rich quick scheme is to patent useless things like fonts and shapes and really really hope that apple accidentally infringe on one of them and cough $10million at me when everyone finds out
So, patent any random things, or object..

There sure to be at least few companies that will 'accidently' infringe in that life time.

Try that with a single word, and it will be lawsuit heaven.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:45 PM   #227
Yoda Mann
macrumors newbie

Taxes, taxes, taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockoar View Post
Everyone knows big companies are the big tax evaders and not small businesses.

Don't be silly. Corporations never pay taxes. Every and all taxes levied on a corporation are paid for the corporation by these three groups:

1 Employees who are paid less than they otherwise would be with an unburdened company;

2 Stockholders, who pay through lowered stock market and dividend returns;

3 Customers, who pay higher prices for goods and services to offset the corporate tax burden.

Which is alway to say, when yo-yos call for higher corporate taxes all they are doing is taxing themselves in order to feel better about sticking it to the man.
Yoda Mann is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:09 PM   #228
kaniSS
macrumors newbie

What for? What a waste.

Give me 100k and I'll design you a better clock icon.
kaniSS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:32 PM   #229
ubviswanath
macrumors newbie

Apple paid? Or we paid and Apple was the middleman?

Apple did not pay a dime! We did!

On a side note - those Swiss clocks are very well expensive!

I need to be paid too - Is apple going to pay us for using 'I' in all their products?
ubviswanath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:52 PM   #230
DrDomVonDoom
macrumors 6502

They just chucked a billion into r&d and people are bitching over 21 mil? Common guys with as much as they make per ipad, its pennies.

www.youtube.com/user/drdomvondoom
DrDomVonDoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:57 PM   #231
robanga
macrumors 68000

Can you imagine what the team of graphic designers or designer from the 1930s would think ....$21M
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:45 AM   #232
RoadOfMajor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomVonDoom View Post
They just chucked a billion into r&d and people are bitching over 21 mil? Common guys with as much as they make per ipad, its pennies.
Do you know the ROI of R&D versus the ROI of a block of pixels?

That's a rhetorical question. You obviously don't know.
RoadOfMajor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:18 AM   #233
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak47 View Post
This can't be accurate...
It's a Swiss clock: it doesn't get more accurate than that ;-)
HelveticaRoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:46 PM   #234
GoodWatch
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Do you seriously think that anyone in a responsible position at Apple knew that this was a legally protected design? Or let's say anyone who _still_ is in a responsible position at Apple
A company of Apple's calibre, spending literally millions of dollars on litigation (Samsung anyone?), has the moral obligation to know these things. Those research tasks are delegated, like it is my job to make sure my company has all the right software licenses. That's not the task of my MD but mine.
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
GoodWatch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:50 PM   #235
tekno
Banned

So, according to Apple, a graphical image of the Mondaine clock is worth as much as a 76-carat, flawless diamond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20315424

Personally, I think Apple have a lot more money than sense. A lot.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:19 PM   #236
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaRoman View Post
It's a Swiss clock: it doesn't get more accurate than that ;-)
I lived in Geneva for eight years - if a bus or train was late, the most likely reason was that your watch was wrong.

Seriously.
AidenShaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:29 PM   #237
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

Can I please stop getting notifications from people trying to correct me regarding how much Apple "cares" because they gave more to a clock design than Red Cross.

No, I didn't realize Apple HAD to pay 21 mill ensuing a lawsuit, now I do. So...yeah, done.
Tucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:35 PM   #238
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom View Post
Can I please stop getting notifications from people trying to correct me regarding how much Apple "cares" because they gave more to a clock design than Red Cross.

No, I didn't realize Apple HAD to pay 21 mill ensuing a lawsuit, now I do. So...yeah, done.
At least (unless I missed it) nobody has suggested that Apple should just buy Switzerland with its cash hoard.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:46 PM   #239
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWatch View Post
A company of Apple's calibre, spending literally millions of dollars on litigation (Samsung anyone?), has the moral obligation to know these things. Those research tasks are delegated, like it is my job to make sure my company has all the right software licenses. That's not the task of my MD but mine.
So what do you think happened there?

Scenario 1: Product Manager: "We need a really nice clock design". Designer: (Finds a really nice design on the web) "Look at this great design that I created".

Scenario 2: Product Manager: "We need a really nice clock design". Designer: (Finds a really nice design on the web) "Look at this great design that I found on the web". Product Manager: "We'll take it, nobody will notice that we didn't create it".

Scenario 3: Product Manager: "We need a really nice clock design". Designer: (Finds a really nice design on the web) "Look at this great design that I found on the web". Product Manager to Legal: "Check out if we can use this design". Incompetent lawyer: "That's fine, you can't copyright or trademark something that obvious".
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:00 PM   #240
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Exactly, it's different.

Apple copied the look of Dieter Rams' design for a Braun calculator:

Rams didn't sue, he actually said he takes it as a complement. Ives has also copied other Braun products:
Actually, you could do a bit of googling and find out what these products really look like.

Here, for example, is Dieter Rams' pocket radio that Apple supposedly copied when they created the iPod. It looks quite different from an iPod if it isn't turned on its head and photographed precisely from the front so that its depth isn't visible:

The "calculator" image really looks photoshopped to me. Well, the Apple calculator on my iPod Touch does look quite different. The monitor? What the hell. How is that monitor supposed to look similar?

And what do you think of this?

This is a photo of Dieter Rams' T1000 Weltempfänger. Does it remind you of any Apple product? Well, when it is carefully staged it can be made to resemble a Mac Pro like in this image:

Last edited by gnasher729; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:09 PM   #241
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Actually, you could do a bit of googling and find out what these products really look like.

Here, for example, is Dieter Rams' pocket radio that Apple supposedly copied when they created the iPod. It looks quite different from an iPod if it isn't turned on its head and photographed precisely from the front so that its depth isn't visible:
You're assuming I don't know what said products look like, but I'm a huge Braun so...

The iPod was inspired by the T3 pocket radio, not a rip-off, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Like Rams says, "[Apple] were able to do something I never could, and that's get people to queue up to buy their products."

Again, Rams says he takes it as a compliment.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:35 PM   #242
steve09090
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antic View Post
Puts things into perspective.
Sandy relief 2.5 million $
Clock face. 21 million $
And putting it into further perspective, they reached an expected quarterly revenue of $37B and have more than $100B in the bank (higher than the US has).

I didn't know they had a responsibility to solve all the worlds problems.

Clock face = $0. Intellectual Property = $21M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
What for? What a waste.

Give me 100k and I'll design you a better clock icon.
Design a better clock design and they might give it to you!

Last edited by steve09090; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
steve09090 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion