Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It needs to be said:

Quick Settings sucks, and is not what I was hoping it to be. Something like Power Toggle app from the Play Store does it so much better.

All Quick Settings did for me was make it harder to get to the full settings page.

I must be missing something because I have immediate access to the full settings page from the pull down menu. The only thing that threw me off was realizing that the settings page is accessed from sliding down on the upper right of the screen.

From there I touch settings and I have all the settings as before.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I must be missing something because I have immediate access to the full settings page from the pull down menu. The only thing that threw me off was realizing that the settings page is accessed from sliding down on the upper right of the screen.

From there I touch settings and I have all the settings as before.

Am I mistaken? In order to get to the Quick Settings page immediately, you have to two-finger pull down, then from there, to get into the full Settings list, you tap the Settings icon.

But if you were to pull down one finger, you get the Notification pull down, then you have to tap Quick Settings which flips it over, then you from there, to get into the full Settings list, you tap the Settings icon.

No?

What if I want to get to the full Settings menu with one finger? That's an additional step now.

And my gripe with the Quick Settings is that they aren't toggles.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Am I mistaken? In order to get to the Quick Settings page immediately, you have to two-finger pull down, then from there, to get into the full Settings list, you tap the Settings icon.

But if you were to pull down one finger, you get the Notification pull down, then you have to tap Quick Settings which flips it over, then you from there, to get into the full Settings list, you tap the Settings icon.

No?

What if I want to get to the full Settings menu with one finger? That's an additional step now.

And my gripe with the Quick Settings is that they aren't toggles.

This really depends on whether you have a Nexus phone or not. Eg. on my GS2, I can just press the menu button, and go to settings from there. The new notifications would have no difference there. That's why I feel that there should be a way to force the menu to be on the navigation bar at all times (in the stock ROM). Also, typically you go to the settings either to turn on Wi-Fi, GPS, etc. This requires one less step than before.

I am a bit disappointed that they're not toggles but they'll probably introduce this in a future update.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Reading mixed reviews about the quick settings option

any chance of someone uploading a pic to show what it looks like

cheers

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This really depends on whether you have a Nexus phone or not. Eg. on my GS2, I can just press the menu button, and go to settings from there. The new notifications would have no difference there. That's why I feel that there should be a way to force the menu to be on the navigation bar at all times (in the stock ROM). Also, typically you go to the settings either to turn on Wi-Fi, GPS, etc. This requires one less step than before.

I am a bit disappointed that they're not toggles but they'll probably introduce this in a future update.

Custom ROMs let you have the menu button in the nav bar all the time so it's definitely possible.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Custom ROMs let you have the menu button in the nav bar all the time so it's definitely possible.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to dabble into custom ROMs with the Nexus 4. I tried Paranoid Android, and that allows you to force the menu button. I hope Google will add this feature, but I doubt it.

The only feature I really miss from custom ROMs is the toggles.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No app sharing? WTF.

OK, the multiple user support is nice, if only because it means I don't expose my email and browser history whenever I hand over my tablet.

But...

THE APPS AREN'T SHARED!

Yes, the standard ones that come with the device are, but nothing else. This seems like a major problem - I mean, tablets are most often shared in families, kids want their own accounts, and so on... but every game or app needs to be bought by every user? Am I missing something? This seems like a terrible idea.

Yes, it would in theory be cool to be able to use someone else's device, download my apps for free, and use them when I log in, but I think that it is vastly more often the case where families will share a tablet, and the whole not-sharing-of-apps things really irks me. Basically, I need to have my kids use my account anyway.

I do hope I'm missing something, because otherwise this sucks.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
OK, the multiple user support is nice, if only because it means I don't expose my email and browser history whenever I hand over my tablet.

But...

THE APPS AREN'T SHARED!

Yes, the standard ones that come with the device are, but nothing else. This seems like a major problem - I mean, tablets are most often shared in families, kids want their own accounts, and so on... but every game or app needs to be bought by every user? Am I missing something? This seems like a terrible idea.

Yes, it would in theory be cool to be able to use someone else's device, download my apps for free, and use them when I log in, but I think that it is vastly more often the case where families will share a tablet, and the whole not-sharing-of-apps things really irks me. Basically, I need to have my kids use my account anyway.

I do hope I'm missing something, because otherwise this sucks.

So you can't use the same google account on multiple user accounts? Doesn't make much sense especially because you can use the same google account on multiple android devices.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
So you can't use the same google account on multiple user accounts? Doesn't make much sense especially because you can use the same google account on multiple android devices.
Hmmm. Probably you can, but it seems like that would mess things up with the email and such.

Still, it's a good idea, and it looks like, just with iTunes, I'll need to start buying things with the "family" account. Ugh. What a mess. Of course, when I started buying apps two months ago (almost exactly), I had no idea how far down this path I'd go. I was thinking I might even return the N7 after the Fire HD arrived. Now? N4's on the way (hopefully) and a 32GB N7 w/cellular is on the way (hopefully) and I am getting rid of the N7... by selling it to a co-worker. ;)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hmmm. Probably you can, but it seems like that would mess things up with the email and such.

Still, it's a good idea, and it looks like, just with iTunes, I'll need to start buying things with the "family" account. Ugh. What a mess. Of course, when I started buying apps two months ago (almost exactly), I had no idea how far down this path I'd go. I was thinking I might even return the N7 after the Fire HD arrived. Now? N4's on the way (hopefully) and a 32GB N7 w/cellular is on the way (hopefully) and I am getting rid of the N7... by selling it to a co-worker. ;)

I kinda wanna get a new 3G N7 too but I've never sold anything before and I doubt I'd get a good price for my N7.

You don't have to sync your gmail so that part shouldn't be a problem. Actually just unmark everything in the Google section of Accounts. Of course your kids will still be able to turn that on depending how old and tech savvy they are :p

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

No?

What if I want to get to the full Settings menu with one finger?

Are you actually complaining about having to mobilise a second finger in your swiping motion on your smart phone? :D

I'm assuming it's a phone because with tablets you can access it with one finger

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Are you actually complaining about having to mobilise a second finger in your swiping motion on your smart phone? :D

I'm assuming it's a phone because with tablets you can access it with one finger

I'm saying, before, you could access the full settings menu with one finger and with one less step. I wouldn't mind more steps with Quick Settings but the Quick Settings aren't configurable nor are they toggles.

Kind of lame :(

Power toggles widget > Quick Toggles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc&hl=en

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Wow, I love how attachments look in gmail now. You get a large thumbnail right in the email. Sweet.

Gmail is so >>>> iOS Mail. It's always been.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'm saying, before, you could access the full settings menu with one finger and with one less step.

Before it was one finger swipe > full settings menu.

Now it is one finger swipe > access quick settings > access full settings menu
or
two finger swipe > full settings menu
or on a tablet
one finger swipe on the right > full settings menu.

I really can't see what the big deal is personally.... whether I swipe with one or two fingers.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Before it was one finger swipe > full settings menu.

Now it is one finger swipe > access quick settings > access full settings menu
or
two finger swipe > full settings menu
or on a tablet
one finger swipe on the right > full settings menu.

I really can't see what the big deal is personally.... whether I swipe with one or two fingers.

Isn't two finger swipe > Quick Settings. Not full settings menu?

It's definitely not a big deal. Just disappointed by Quick Settings overall.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Isn't two finger swipe > Quick Settings. Not full settings menu?

Yea but when you two finger swipe into quick settings, there is the the shortcut in the top right to full settings.

Before with one finger swipe there was also the shortcut to full settings in the notifications pulldown.

The only difference in the time taken to get to full settings is two fingers vs one.

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes or something :D

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.

But...

THE APPS AREN'T SHARED!

I have a PC running Vista with three accounts. When I install a program in anyone of the accounts, it shows up on all three. However, each account has its own settings for the program. That's the way I wish it would work on my N7.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Can't you just use the standard mail app? I personally forward all my emails to Gmail and give them each a label. It keeps my emails very organized.

That is probably what I will do...just forward them all to gmail. No default email client (where you can have seperate accounts) works as good as the ios one though.

edit: lol yahoo charges you to forward your mail?

Last edited:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
That is probably what I will do...just forward them all to gmail. No default email client (where you can have seperate accounts) works as good as the ios one though.

edit: lol yahoo charges you to forward your mail?

edit2: nm..i can do it all from gmail

Don't you have an app called Email? You can have multiple accounts on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.