Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Scosche Announces Lineup of Lightning Charging Accessories

Close on the heels of Belkin's launch of the first official accessories supporting Apple's new Lightning connector standard, Scosche is now announcing its own lineup of Lightning charging accessories for use both at home and in the car.
Quote:
"Smartphones and tablets are an integral part of our daily lives, but keeping them all charged can create several challenges," said Kas Alves, Executive Vice President of Scosche Industries. "We designed our Lightning chargers with flexibility in mind. The new line provides power solutions for home and on the go and addresses the varying wattage requirements of our favorite devices, the need to charge multiple devices simultaneously and is capable of powering multiple devices with different connections with the same charger."
Scosche's lineup includes the following products:

- strikeDRIVE 5w ($24.99) and strikeDRIVE 12w ($29.99): Car charger with a single hardwired Lightning cable. The 5w model is designed for iPhone, iPod, and iPad mini models, while the 12w model can charge any Lightning-equipped device.

- strikeDRIVE 12w +12w ($39.99): Car charger with one hardwired Lightning/micro-USB cable supporting up to 12w with a second USB port also supporting up to 12w.

strikeDRIVE 12w + 12w
- strikeDRIVE pro 12w + 12w ($49.99): Car charger with two USB ports each supporting up to 12w. Comes with one detachable USB cable with convertible micro-USB and Lightning tips.

- strikeBASE 5w ($29.99) and strikeBASE 12w ($34.99): Low-profile wall adapter for home use includes a single hardwired Lightning cable attached and offers folding prongs. The 5w model is designed for iPhone, iPod, and iPad mini models, while the 12w model can charge any Lightning-equipped device.

- strikeBASE pro 5w + 5w ($39.99): Low-profile wall adapter for home use with two USB ports each supporting up to 5w. Comes with one detachable USB cable with convertible micro-USB and Lightning tips.

- strikeBASE pro 12w + 12w ($49.99): Low-profile wall adapter for home use with two USB ports each supporting up to 12w. Comes with one detachable USB cable with convertible micro-USB and Lightning tips.

strikeBASE pro 12w + 12w
- strikeLINE pro ($29.99): Retractable USB cable with convertible micro-USB and Lightning tips.

Scosche has yet to announce specific launch dates for the new accessories, but says that "some of them should ship prior to CES" in early January.

Images of several of Scosche's Lightning accessories had leaked in late August, but the company quickly requested that those images be removed.

Article Link: Scosche Announces Lineup of Lightning Charging Accessories
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:08 AM   #2
iPhoneApple
macrumors 6502

Finally seeing some new Lightning stuff. The new charger is really nice (except for the lack of video out)
iPhoneApple is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Icaras
macrumors 601

I guess lightning really is faster than thunderbolt. Still waiting on more of those accessories...
Icaras is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:11 AM   #4
deppisch
macrumors newbie

Oh, "strike"... I get it. Like striking a match. Because it matches your lightning connector.

Wait.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:12 AM   #5
realeric
macrumors 6502a

Why are they more expensive than apple's genuine products?
realeric is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
Because apple wants your money.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple liscences their connectors, and the accessory-makers want to make a profit as well.
Pakaku is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:23 AM   #8
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They're not. E.g. the 12w adaptor is $19 from Apple, + $19 for the lightning cable = $38. The Scosche one is $35
Older: 2005 15" PB G4 iPhone 3G
fruitpunch.ben is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:29 AM   #9
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

I'm not a fan of car chargers with hardwired cables... especially coiled cables.

Chances are... you already have a USB car charger... I'd rather just buy the $19 Lightning cable from Apple.
Michael Scrip is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:36 AM   #10
ModestForumName
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
I'm not a fan of car chargers with hardwired cables... especially coiled cables.

Chances are... you already have a USB car charger... I'd rather just buy the $19 Lightning cable from Apple.
EXACTLY! I saw a $15 USB car charger at the apple store. It was just the USB part. THAT is what manufacturers should be doing IMO.
ModestForumName is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:38 AM   #11
elec999
macrumors regular

Is This a good brand?
elec999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:39 AM   #12
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Yup, that's what I just did. Just bought a couple of additional lightning cables for our cars to use with our existing in-car USB chargers.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:41 AM   #13
Radio
Banned

$50 for a car charger ?

Wtf
Radio is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:45 AM   #14
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by elec999 View Post
Is This a good brand?
Yeah, I'd rate them a little under Griffin or Belkin but they are pretty reputable.

Lightning Strike. Aha, I get it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:47 AM   #15
stevefrog
macrumors newbie

The correct abbreviation for a watt is "W" and not "w". Makes me wonder if their products are designed by real electrical engineers.
stevefrog is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:58 AM   #16
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

This stuff seems to be pretty versatile, something for everyone. I would have preferred some brighter colors: easier to find.

Can anyone comment on SCOSCHE's QC/reliability?
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:58 AM   #17
Maltz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefrog View Post
The correct abbreviation for a watt is "W" and not "w". Makes me wonder if their products are designed by real electrical engineers.
Don't be pedantic. Besides, naming the product is marketing's job, not the engineers'.
Maltz is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:08 AM   #18
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of getting one of these car chargers for $40. I just purchased a lightning to USB cable from Apple, and a USB to cigarette lighter adapter from amazon for $10. I saved $10 and I can even use the USB to Lightning without the cigarette lighter unlike this cable.

If this was $20, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll just combine the two cables and keep my $10.

What i really want is a dock!
thisisdallas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:14 AM   #19
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
Quote:
Originally Posted by elec999 View Post
Is This a good brand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Yeah, I'd rate them a little under Griffin or Belkin but they are pretty reputable.
I own a 30-pin firewire to usb charging adapter to charge my iPhone & iPad, and a dock adapter that allows my iPhone to work with my iPod Hi-Fi. Both Scosche - both 3 years old. I would definitely say their products are in line with Belkin or Griffin quality.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:16 AM   #20
troy14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of getting one of these car chargers for $40. I just purchased a lightning to USB cable from Apple, and a USB to cigarette lighter adapter from amazon for $10. I saved $10 and I can even use the USB to Lightning without the cigarette lighter unlike this cable.

If this was $20, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll just combine the two cables and keep my $10.

What i really want is a dock!
I purchased a cigarette lighter to usb on eBay months ago for like 1$ each or whatever the cheapest ones from Hong Kong were. I purchased like 3-4 expecting them to fail. I'm still using the first one I plugged in with no problems, with my Apple USB to Lighting cable.

I recommend eBay for those adapters.
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:56 AM   #21
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I guess lightning really is faster than thunderbolt. Still waiting on more of those accessories...
You get lightening .. then thunder... funny!

I do wonder how that 12W + 12W adapter will work. I don't think my car's fusebox can actually PUSH that many Watts out one power point. I think most fuses for auto accessories are 5 Amps and 10 Amps (this is close to 5 Amp off one power point) but they are also pushing other stuff, not just power points. This may be too much.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post
I purchased a cigarette lighter to usb on eBay months ago for like 1$ each or whatever the cheapest ones from Hong Kong were. I purchased like 3-4 expecting them to fail. I'm still using the first one I plugged in with no problems, with my Apple USB to Lighting cable.

I recommend eBay for those adapters.
I would STAY THE HELL away from eBay if you know what's good for you. Cheap adapters have no current or voltage management. Converting 12V DC to 5V DC is really easy... except that automotive electronics are some of the most electronics-hostile environments with constant under-over situations because your alternator is tied to your wildly varying engine speeds.

Just realize that your Device's power management circuits are taking most of the beating from crappy power. That's why the cheap adapters last so long! Sure, save $10 putting a $5 adapter in front of a $500 phone!
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:06 AM   #22
Smallworld69
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post

I do wonder how that 12W + 12W adapter will work. I don't think my car's fusebox can actually PUSH that many Watts out one power point. I think most fuses for auto accessories are 5 Amps and 10 Amps (this is close to 5 Amp off one power point) but they are also pushing other stuff, not just power points. This may be too much.
It has more to do with Amperes than it does Watts. And most all USB devices pull anywhere from 1-2.2 Amps.... Your cars cigarette lighter is usually tied in with something like interior lights or something along those lines, and usually on a 10amp fuse. Should be more than enough to handle charging 2 iDevices...

Last edited by SilentPanda; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Smallworld69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:12 AM   #23
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefrog View Post
Of course the engineers know that and the marking guy might know it to. But the marketing guy can correctly assume that very few of their customers even know what a Watt is
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:42 AM   #24
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Of course the engineers know that and the marking guy might know it to. But the marketing guy can correctly assume that very few of their customers even know what a Watt is
I know what a Watt is, what I want to know is what the hell is a jiggawatt?! [sic]

Back on topic... why so many hard wired accessories? At least Scosche has some sensible ones, and the convertible cable could come in handy. I'd like to see a Lightning version of their FlipSync product, to keep on my keyring just in case.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:00 AM   #25
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
I know what a Watt is, what I want to know is what the hell is a jiggawatt?! [sic]
It is the word used to describe the experience of watching an exotic dancer and finding out it is a man.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion