Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

traycraycray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I want to buy an iPhone 4S from my friend and he has AT&T...

I have T-Mobile and was wondering how I could go about unlocking the phone.. Can I just take it to my local T-Mobile store to unlock it or can I go to the Apple Store to unlock?

Thanks.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Since he is an AT&T customer, he can try calling them to factory unlock the phone before you buy it. If a reason is needed from a rep., just tell him to let them know that he simply needs it unlocked for overseas.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I want to buy an iPhone 4S from my friend and he has AT&T...

I have T-Mobile and was wondering how I could go about unlocking the phone.. Can I just take it to my local T-Mobile store to unlock it or can I go to the Apple Store to unlock?

Thanks.

Unlock Fusion on eBay. Pay $4 and give them the IMEI number of the iPhone. They will unlock it within 24 hours, all you have to do is restore the phone once they send you the confirmation and then just pop in your t-mobile sim.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Unless your friend has upgraded to the iPhone 5 or a different phone, he's going to have a difficult time getting at&t to unlock it (and it can only be done from at&t's end, not through the usual online request).

Easiest would be for you to use one of the $3 ebay unlockers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.