Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Watt...I want to know is. What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur ££££s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers. Talk about cynical. Oh no. Sorry. These lightning connectors are really great aren't they? Smaller. Slimmer. Lighter. Thinner. Smaller.
Oh no! What am I saying? They're a pointless and unecessary 'upgrade' and have no discernible/practical advantage overt the old 30 pin other than being...smaller, lighter, thinner ... Unless that's the whole point is it?

Paying forty quid for a car charger. That's alright isn't it? Worth the extra readies for .... Oh no ... What am I saying ... It's the biggest case of Kings Clothes Syndrome since .... Well ... Please enjoy the cash outlay whilst I use my PoundLand adaptor for me 4S will yIu pleased. Cheers :mad:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Watt...I want to know is. What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur ££££s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers. Talk about cynical. Oh no. Sorry. These lightning connectors are really great aren't they? Smaller. Slimmer. Lighter. Thinner. Smaller.
Oh no! What am I saying? They're a pointless and unecessary 'upgrade' and have no discernible/practical advantage overt the old 30 pin other than being...smaller, lighter, thinner ... Unless that's the whole point is it?

Paying forty quid for a car charger. That's alright isn't it? Worth the extra readies for .... Oh no ... What am I saying ... It's the biggest case of Kings Clothes Syndrome since .... Well ... Please enjoy the cash outlay whilst I use my PoundLand adaptor for me 4S will yIu pleased. Cheers :mad:

o_O too much coffee

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yay, most expansive charging accessories around. $30 for a charger..... DAMN!

Awesome to see LB going the way of TB, next we need some really overpriced docks ;)

----------

Its called Milking sheep ;)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Scosche makes really cheap crap with absolutely no design sense or style that remotely compares with other brands. I wouldn't touch Scosche products with a stick.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Scosche build quality is absolute trash. It feels like those chinese eBay/dealextreme accessories. I can't believe they're asking that much.

----------

Yeah, I'd rate them a little under Griffin or Belkin but they are pretty reputable.

Lightning Strike. Aha, I get it.

In my book, being under Griffin or Belkin isn't a very good thing.
To answer the original question, from my experience, no, Schosche is the worse accessory company that sells at those kind of prices.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
I do wonder how that 12W + 12W adapter will work. I don't think my car's fusebox can actually PUSH that many Watts out one power point. I think most fuses for auto accessories are 5 Amps and 10 Amps (this is close to 5 Amp off one power point) but they are also pushing other stuff, not just power points. This may be too much.[COLOR="#]

It has more to do with Amperes than it does Watts. And most all USB devices pull anywhere from 1-2.2 Amps.... Your cars cigarette lighter is usually tied in with something like interior lights or something along those lines, and usually on a 10amp fuse. Should be more than enough to handle charging 2 iDevices...

The equation for power is basically P = I x V, where I is amps and V volts. Most car systems are 12V. So 12W is 1 amp at 12 volts. So a 5 amp fuze would carry 50 W, which is fine for a 12+12 charger.

Many accessory plugs may have much higher fuze ratings as they have to power things that take more than 50 W. I think many will have a 15 amp fuze to power things like a cig lighter or an air compressor for tires.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
While i am glad there are new Lightning Connector products coming out, the prospect of me picking up anything with removable tips/connectors is not going to happen

Just don't like that type of product.

ibicudo

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Azores
Lightning keyboards

Do you think there will be any external keyboard for ipad mini?

I would love to be able to carry a small typewriter like ipad

jrz

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Yup, that's what I just did. Just bought a couple of additional lightning cables for our cars to use with our existing in-car USB chargers.

I don't get the benefits of paying $29 or more for a car charger when you can buy a $4 dual USB charger for your car. Am I missing something- is there a benefit I am not seeing with these (of the Scocshe products vs. simply plugging the lightning cable into the cheaper car charger)?

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Mophie! Where are you with your case??? So it shouldn't be long before we hear other companies announce their accessories with lightning?

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Micro usb to lightning adopter, 8.5 shipped from our friends in china. Now I can use my droid charger, and the half dozen micro usb chargers I have accrued.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Wow, since when did cables get so expensive... wait I guess they always have been. But these just seem outrageous!! Another reason Apple should be forced to use micro usb as a standard. Would make the world of connectors much easier and give consumers a better choice over adapters and prices. These lightning adapters are just more ways apple gets a few more bucks from its customers!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Finally a hard-wired, coiled car charger! This makes me happy :D

I am currently using a regular USB cable in my car and I very much dislike it.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
Wow, since when did cables get so expensive... wait I guess they always have been. But these just seem outrageous!! Another reason Apple should be forced to use micro usb as a standard. Would make the world of connectors much easier and give consumers a better choice over adapters and prices. These lightning adapters are just more ways apple gets a few more bucks from its customers!

Cables from Apple have always been expensive, about $19. Before lightning one could find third party iOS cables on EBay for about 2$. Today they are about 10-12$ on EBay (and many of those dont yet work at all). Amazon had a deal last week for about $9 delivered and time will tell whether they work well.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'm at a loss to understand why the major charger manufacturers like Belkin and Scosche continue to sell hardwired charges in this age of USB connectors. Instead of being able to replace a bad cable or a bad charger, you have to replace the whole unit? Who buys these things? Is it just because people don't know any better?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
From what i see here, their target market is people who have more money than they have sense.

I think that they will do very well with their line of iPhone and iPad accessories.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
50 bucks for a car charger!!??!!

Holy smokes that's expensive. I really dont like buying knock-offs but I will NOT spend $50 for a car charger. EBay knock-offs here I come!

----------

Micro usb to lightning adopter, 8.5 shipped from our friends in china. Now I can use my droid charger, and the half dozen micro usb chargers I have accrued.

Does it work properly? Or is it only good for charging? The Lightning connector has a built in microchip that automatically adjusts pin functionality.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
I'm at a loss to understand why the major charger manufacturers like Belkin and Scosche continue to sell hardwired charges in this age of USB connectors. Instead of being able to replace a bad cable or a bad charger, you have to replace the whole unit? Who buys these things? Is it just because people don't know any better?

Depending on the car, sometimes the hardwired ones are smaller and less likely to be damaged by shift levers or hand movement. Some of the standalone charger parts are longer and stick out further. That coupled with a firm USB connector sticks out even further. More than once I have had such combinations get giggled loose from power from hand/shift movement.

However given that, I still prefer the separates so that when one quits you only change it out. I normally carry one or more extra chargers and cables all the time in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.