Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Long story, basically someone is telling me this is a 5, but looks kind of like a 4/4S to me.

Anyone?

iphoneshanegrosky.png

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Definitely not a 5. The camera on the 5 is above the earphone, not to the side.

That's what I was thinking, didn't know if the 5 had some kind of sensor next to the ear piece or not, thought maybe that's what that circle could be.

Thanks!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The antenna will determine whether it's a 4 or a 4S. Look at the area near the earpiece. If there's a slit directly next to the earpiece, it's a iPhone 4.

Generik777

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
Definitely not a 5. The camera on the 5 is above the earphone, not to the side.

Yep, this as well as the speaker screen on the 5 is black and not metallic as the one picture. Also you can see the bezel space from the bottom of the screen to the bottom of the phone (the area where the home button is) is too large to be a 5.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
iPhone 4:
3 slits total
- one at the top near the headphone jack
- two at the bottom sides

iPhone 4 (CDMA):
4 slits total
- two on top left and right
- two on bottom left and right sides
- no SIM slot

iPhone 4S:
4 slits in total, same as iPhone 4 CDMA, but has a SIM slot on the right side

iPhone 5:
4 slits total
- same locations as 4 (CDMA) and 4S. 4/4S have glass backs while the 5 has an aluminium back.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
That's what I was thinking, didn't know if the 5 had some kind of sensor next to the ear piece or not, thought maybe that's what that circle could be.

Thanks!

Did you really need to come here and post to confirm that wasn't a 5? Maybe just go to the apple site and compare what the 2 look like. FFS I swear people have NO critical thinking ability any more.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
And then there comes this guy.

unless you have been living in the middle of a desert the iPhone 5 has been everywhere. If you have never seen an iPhone 4/4S, or 5 in your life then this is understandable but it's image is like plastered everywhere.
Just saying he should be able to tell the difference between a 4S and a 5

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
It looks like a iPhone 4 (GSM). I only see one slit for the antenna at the bottom and nothing at the top of the iPhone. Plus I can see the silver lining around that iPhone.

More pictures would of been ideal for us to identify which model iPhone it is. Just saying.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
unless you have been living in the middle of a desert the iPhone 5 has been everywhere. If you have never seen an iPhone 4/4S, or 5 in your life then this is understandable but it's image is like plastered everywhere.
Just saying he should be able to tell the difference between a 4S and a 5

You missed his point. He was taking issue with asshats that insist the iPhone 5 is the 6th generation of iPhone so this phone should be clalled iPhone 6 instead of 5.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
It looks like a iPhone 4 (GSM). I only see one slit for the antenna at the bottom and nothing at the top of the iPhone. Plus I can see the silver lining around that iPhone.

More pictures would of been ideal for us to identify which model iPhone it is. Just saying.

I know, that's the thing. If I had more images, I wouldn't have even posted this. Even if it were from the side, the black 5 has a black bezel. I just didn't know if the whole "diamond cut" thing could possibly make it reflective to where it is being shown on this here photo. And for the camera being on top, I knew that too, but didn't know if there was a sensor on the left side. I know what a 4 and a 4S look like, inside and out.

You guys are confirming my thoughts, just that this guy INSISTS this is an iPhone 5, and didn't have any other photos to send me, and so I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Seems like a scammer to me, otherwise just someone who doesn't know what he has. It was water damaged anyway, I just wanted a broken iPhone 5 to take apart and play with before I ever try to repair any real ones for any clients.

Thanks guys.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
You missed his point. He was taking issue with asshats that insist the iPhone 5 is the 6th generation of iPhone so this phone should be clalled iPhone 6 instead of 5.

I thought Tim Cook put this issue to bed when he held up the largest iPhone model and said "iPhone 5"!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.