Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpommer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hi There,

this is my first post in MacRumors and I hope this is the right forum.

Just returned my (April 2012 - still under warranty) iPad 3rd gen (retina) due batterie problems!

Apple confirmed the issue and replaced it with a new one...but same 3rd generation model instead of giving me the current 4th gen model. I argued that they are not even selling the 3rd gen model anymore and that I should get the 4th gen as a replacement. The response was that they always replace hardware for the same model, if still in stock.

Attached is a copy of the Genius Bar Work Authorization & Service Confirmation

This is VERY disappointing! I was expecting the defective iPad to be replaced by a CURRENT equivalent model and not with a discontinued model.

(Just as comparison, Western Digital replaced my 2 year old external HD with a CURRENT, updated model while still under warranty)

I am feeling somewhat cheated by Apple's policy.

Do I have the right to demand a current, new model?

Thanks for any advise!

rpommer

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
You bought a 3rd gen iPad and it was defective. Why should you get a 4th gen instead? Don't expect anything at all. ANYTHING. Just expect a new (Probably refurbished) 3rd gen iPad.

rpommer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
You bought a 3rd gen iPad and it was defective. Why should you get a 4th gen instead? Don't expect anything at all. ANYTHING. Just expect a new (Probably refurbished) 3rd gen iPad.

Hi Nevzorus,

thanks for the reply.

Sorry, this might be the policy but, in my opinion, it doesn't seem the right thing to do.

If Apple would still be selling the 3rd gen iPad, I would completely understand it, but we are talking here about a discontinued/replaced model. They sell today only the iPad Mini, iPad 2 and 'iPad with Retina display' (NEW)
...I mean, replacing a defective iPad 2 with the same model would be logical, because it is still available.

But, as you correctly mentioned, don't expect ANYTHING!

Cheers,

----------

They are right and you are wrong. They quoted you the correct policy.

Hi Roadter,

thanks for the reply!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
They could just have repaired your defective iPad (which would have left you without it for the duration of the repair) but instead they replace defective ones with new or fully refurbished one of the same type.

You bought an iPad 3. Unfortunately, it developed a problem so they resolved that problem.

You now have a non-defective iPad 3. That's what you paid for so what's your problem?

rpommer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
They could just have repaired your defective iPad (which would have left you without it for the duration of the repair) but instead they replace defective ones with new or fully refurbished one of the same type.

You bought an iPad 3. Unfortunately, it developed a problem so they resolved that problem.

You now have a non-defective iPad 3. That's what you paid for so what's your problem?

Hi Phil,
I wouldn't be so sure about having now a "non-defective" iPad 3!
The battery problem appeared 8 month after purchase! (Lucky the warranty was still valid) It was a non-repairable hardware problem, according to the tecnician and this is why they gave me a replacement unit...but, chances are quite high that the same problem might develop in this "new or fully refurbished one of the same type" as well. Time will tell!

There are a lot of threads about battery issues with the 3rd gen! I don't know if the 4th gen iPad uses the same battery.

Other than that, I have no problem! I was just asking about Apple's policy.

Thanks for sharing your opinion anyway.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
By that token, I should expect my 2011 Imac to be replaced with a new one with Fusion? Or either of my MBP and MBA to be upgraded? No. Apple retain stock of ALL the items they are covering with AC, and you wil almost always get like for like.

If they were completely out of an item, you might be offered an alternative...I have heard that the 17" MBP is sometimes replaced with the 15" rMBP due to stock issues. I have a 17" but would not expect a Retina as a replacement.

Bottom line is you get what you originally paid for.

Last edited:

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
One thing is that I would love to get my iPhone 4 replaced with a iPhone 5 for free but that's not going to happen. I don't expect that and I never would or will. You bought the 3rd gen iPad and not the 4th, why should you expect a 4th?

(I just made the same post again in a new way)

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Hi There,

this is my first post in MacRumors and I hope this is the right forum.

Just returned my (April 2012 - still under warranty) iPad 3rd gen (retina) due batterie problems!

Apple confirmed the issue and replaced it with a new one...but same 3rd generation model instead of giving me the current 4th gen model. I argued that they are not even selling the 3rd gen model anymore and that I should get the 4th gen as a replacement. The response was that they always replace hardware for the same model, if still in stock.

Attached is a copy of the Genius Bar Work Authorization & Service Confirmation

This is VERY disappointing! I was expecting the defective iPad to be replaced by a CURRENT equivalent model and not with a discontinued model.

(Just as comparison, Western Digital replaced my 2 year old external HD with a CURRENT, updated model while still under warranty)

I am feeling somewhat cheated by Apple's policy.

Do I have the right to demand a current, new model?

Thanks for any advise!

rpommer

No, you have no right to "demand" a new model. If your car is recalled because of a defect (presuming you're old enough to drive and own one), do you have a "right" to demand a newer replacement model? Of course not!

Apple owes you nothing but to replace/repair the product you purchased. Which it did.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
All manufacturers will keep spares for units no longer sold for warranty. Apple's only warranty obligation is to repair a unit if it fails under the terms of the warranty, so you are lucky to get a full replacement. Occasionally as a token of goodwill Apple will replace an older model that is defective with a new model, but this is normally only when the same unit continues to fail, despite being repaired multiple times.

I think you are confusing a manufacturers warranty obligations with a 'new for old' style insurance policy.

Last edited:

AndersOlson

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
So sick of these threads

I'm so sick of people complaining when they can't "work" the system. You aren't entitled to anything other than what your purchased (ipad 3) if apple replaced yours with a new one everyone would start trying to swap theirs out.

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
Hi Phil,
chances are quite high that the same problem might develop in this "new or fully refurbished one of the same type" as well. Time will tell!

There are a lot of threads about battery issues with the 3rd gen! I don't know if the 4th gen iPad uses the same battery.

Other than that, I have no problem! I was just asking about Apple's policy.

Thanks for sharing your opinion anyway.

I wouldn't say chances are quite high that you will have another issue. Just because their are a bunch of threads here about a particular problem, remember that there are MILLIONS of 3rd gens with no issues at all. Not many people post 'Hey my device worked exactly how it should'.

Also, agreeing with everyone else. Not sure why people expect apple to give people free upgrades for defective products. There is no expectation anywhere else in the tech world - if I buy a Wii today and it breaks, I don't expect a Wii U to replace it. No other expectation anywhere else - hey starbucks, you messed up my small, regular coffee, now give me the something a size bigger with 5x the ingredients for free.

Since you want some advice on how to deal with it. If you paid with credit card, call the credit card company and tell your situation and that you want a charge back because you think they didn't live up to their obligation. Don't expect much from them either though...

Cevap

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Would you be more satisfied if they replaced your defective iPad with an iPad 2 since that one is still offered?

rpommer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I'm so sick of people complaining when they can't "work" the system. You aren't entitled to anything other than what your purchased (ipad 3) if apple replaced yours with a new one everyone would start trying to swap theirs out.

Hi Anders,

if you are sick about people complaining, why bother to answer a thread in the first place?

WD did replace my defective HD with a new, updated, model!

So, it all comes down to different policies, customer service and perspectives.

My mistake to thing that all companies are alike.

rpommer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I wouldn't say chances are quite high that you will have another issue. Just because their are a bunch of threads here about a particular problem, remember that there are MILLIONS of 3rd gens with no issues at all. Not many people post 'Hey my device worked exactly how it should'.

Also, agreeing with everyone else. Not sure why people expect apple to give people free upgrades for defective products. There is no expectation anywhere else in the tech world - if I buy a Wii today and it breaks, I don't expect a Wii U to replace it. No other expectation anywhere else - hey starbucks, you messed up my small, regular coffee, now give me the something a size bigger with 5x the ingredients for free.

Since you want some advice on how to deal with it. If you paid with credit card, call the credit card company and tell your situation and that you want a charge back because you think they didn't live up to their obligation. Don't expect much from them either though...

Hi Greenchiliman, I must disagree on "There is no expectation anywhere else in the tech world"...like I posted before, WD did replace my defective HD with a new, updated, model. Different companies, different policies.

But, I admit that my perception of warranty/ replacement and customer service were wrong,...at least with Apple.

Thanks for your advise anyway, but I am OK with the replaced iPad. I just wanted to confirm Apple's warranty policy. I had no intention to "take advantage" of any kind...just wanted to be sure about my consumer rights in this matter.

Cheers,

Cheers

rpommer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
All manufacturers will keep spares for units no longer sold for warranty. Apple's only warranty obligation is to repair a unit if it fails under the terms of the warranty, so you are lucky to get a full replacement. Occasionally as a token of goodwill Apple will replace an older model that is defective with a new model, but this is normally only when the same unit continues to fail, despite being repaired multiple times.

I think you are confusing a manufacturers warranty obligations with a 'new for old' style insurance policy.

Hi James,

thank you very much for your reply.

Since you mentioned Apple's obligation to repair a unit...I believe that Apple Care is a "must have"...my early 2011 13" MBP 'woke up' with a big black stripe in the middle of the display...just 5 days before expiring the standard warranty. Lucky me, because it was repaired with no cost. Otherwise it would have cost me around US$ 700 to replace the display, according to the technician.

Imagine the cost of a new Retina display!

Cheers,

Boo The Hamster

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
London, UK
I think Apple have an entirely reasonable policy.

My iPad1, which I've had since launch day, is about 2 1/2 years old and gets used every single day. I've treated it extremely well, and it would be nice to think that it would go on for ever, but tech sometimes fails, and last week, it appeared that the connector had gone, as it only charged intermittently, and the MBP couldn't see it any more.

Took it to the Genius bar, where sadly nothing could be done for it.

As it was out of warranty, I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd say 'Sorry - it's kaput, you'll need to buy a new one.'

However, Prue said she'd treat it as a failed battery, and said I could buy a replacement (exactly the same, iPad Mk1, 32Gb 3G), for £85 inc Vat.

There and then.

No 'We'll order one and it might be here in three weeks.' No 'I've got an old one that I found in a skip out the back.'

It may well be a refurb, but if it is, it looks brand new.

Then took advantage of the Apple store's free wifi to start the setup process, and within an hour of getting home, I'd restored from an old backup and it was like nothing had happened.

Maybe you didn't get a shiny new upgraded bit of kit, but as others have said - Apple have ensured that you have a functioning model of exactly what you paid for.

Can't really see what you're complaining about.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Hi Anders,

if you are sick about people complaining, why bother to answer a thread in the first place?

WD did replace my defective HD with a new, updated, model!

So, it all comes down to different policies, customer service and perspectives.

My mistake to thing that all companies are alike.

That doesn't prove it's a policy issue. That just tells me that WD had no more of that model HDD in stock or were not giving them out do a widespread known issue.

It's possible that in 2 months Apple may have no more iPad3 in stock and start giving out iPad4's as replacements. You are not thinking this through with logic, you are thinking it through with "why didn't I get why I expected". Most people would EXPECT to get an iPad3 back, and be amazed with a 4, you are backwards in your thinking.

Also you can always buy Apple care and if you have a battery problem again you can possibly get an iPad 4 on that replacement, or maybe they will be giving out iPad3's then still. It depends on what their stock numbers are like.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Hi Nevzorus,

thanks for the reply.

Sorry, this might be the policy but, in my opinion, it doesn't seem the right thing to do.

If Apple would still be selling the 3rd gen iPad, I would completely understand it, but we are talking here about a discontinued/replaced model. They sell today only the iPad Mini, iPad 2 and 'iPad with Retina display' (NEW)
...I mean, replacing a defective iPad 2 with the same model would be logical, because it is still available.

But, as you correctly mentioned, don't expect ANYTHING!

Cheers,

----------

Hi Roadter,

thanks for the reply!
The third gen is being sold all over the place, we have at least 20 at work, and they are moving.

Discostu7

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
you should be happy

you shouldn't be acting like a spoiled brat and be glad they replaced it for you

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
You got exactly what you're entitled to and you're still upset? So WD gave you a new drive; in all likelihood they didn't have any "older" drive available. If you somehow hit Apple at a time when their pipeline of iPad 3s wa depleted then maybe someone would make a judgment call and give you an upgrade. However, you came in with a problem an left with a functioning device identical to what you originally purchased. problem solved.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
If apple didn't have any iPad 3's available, they will replace it with the closet model of equivalent value. Since they do have it, why do you feel entitled to a free upgrade? Makes absolutely no sense

jgag

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I'm sure the Genius bar employee had some good laughs with his coworkers when you left.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. Apple replaced your broken iPad with the same model. The OP has no right to expect a replacement that isn't the same as his original iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.