Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Even if I buy the 5th gen, I'll probably only use it for music like my current 4th gen. Videos may be also nicer to watch in the widescreen, but the retina display of the 4th gen is already enough for me.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Yep, but the taller screen make the device looks unproportional. I understand all the hype with Iphone 5 because it releases once a year (for now) and people who only use Iphone will probably upgrade no matter what. Apple should make the screen wider as well and keep the same ratio. That way, all app will need no optimizing and have no letterboxed.

Gaming experiences, I hated my Gen4 sometimes because we mostly play games in landscape mode and if the screen is not any wider then we still get the same small screen only more details on the wider sides. Only widescreen video now can be view full screen, whats the point????

I'm the other way round. After weeks using the larger screen on the iPT5, I picked up my brothers iPhone 4 and the screen looked 'squashed'.

Also, the larger screen isn't un-proportional, the ratio is 16:9 - an industry standard.

Bretteo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I didn't see the iPod touch 5 as an upgrade I would buy. First off the price, $300 is to expensive for it. I would probably buy it if it was $200-$250 but $300 is very close to the iPad mini's $330 price point, which why wouldn't you pay $30 for a ~4 inch bigger display. My 4th generation runs fine (I know that isn't the case for everyone) with apps running smooth and good battery (~7 hours of general usage) Overall I'll be interested in what Apple has in store next year before I would drop $300 on the 5.

I have both the 4 and the 5, first off the screen seems a great deal more vivid on the 5, as well as the obvious extra screen space. After spending any time on the 5 gen the 4th seems 'cramped' for lack of a batter word.

Also the speed (due to the A5 chip which the 4th gen lacks) is so vastly improved, I can load up a game like The Simpsons: Tapped out and be finished with my days challenges on it with the 5G before the 4 has even finished loading.

Oh, and if your a big picture taker, the 4G has no flash. Prepare for irritation at nigh time.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
Personally I really want a new iPod touch 5g in blue but I decided against it. My bank balance won't cope, perhaps some nice person will buy it for my birthday..

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Our iPod Touch 4 is a bit slow now with iOS 6 but the main things that its used for - music and iMessage - still work, so I don't think we'll upgrade.

Plus, it'll be nicer when more apps are suited for the larger screen. Perhaps in a year or so.

Bretteo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
You remove the link.

Oh, and buy a case if you worry about it dropping on concrete from a distance as small as 3 feet. :rolleyes:

I have tried, I went to the apple store the day after i purchased it and paid some money up front to reserve it. To this day then still haven't got them in stock, nor screen protectors! it has been 3 weeks!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
i don't know if linking is allowed here, but i wrote a few paragraphs about it on my new blog i am starting up, soon. The blog isnt really open to the public yet so ignore any faults

If it's not allowed then by all means remove the link

I think your post is probably ok and I'm sure the moderators will let you know right away if it is not :D.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I have tried, I went to the apple store the day after i purchased it and paid some money up front to reserve it. To this day then still haven't got them in stock, nor screen protectors! it has been 3 weeks!

My bad. You would definitely have to buy em online. As for linking, put the link in your signature! ;)

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I had the 8GB , 4th gen which worked well. I gave it to my granddaughter and bought the 32GB, 5th generation and what a difference. This 5th generation is most elegant. The size and feel is much better and I now have much more ram. It was worth every penny to me and I am glad I went for it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I went with the 5th gen and didn't opt for the iPad mini because, as hard as it is for some to believe, I didn't want the larger screen :eek:. There are separate markets for the iPod Touch vs iPad mini. The ipod is much easier to pocket and transport and (for me) is wayyyy more convenient 99% of the time. That and I get twice the storage as the $30 more mini. That and the camera is excellent and I'm finding I'm using it much more. The difference is HUGE! It's actually usable. I also haven't even noticed the omission of the ambient light sensor. I really don't think it's as big of an issue as so many are making it out to be. I think people are trying to convince themselves that sticking with or buying the 4th gen was the right choice and like to b***h about little things to make themselves feel better.

----------

screen looked 'squashed'.

I feel the exact same way going back to the 4s and iPod Touch 4th gen. I can't stand it anymore.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I use my iPod Touch for a lot of gaming. The wider screen is great because it allows more room for the controls, and more viewing space for the game.

After getting awesome games for free to under $7, buying a vita or 3DS and having to spend $25-$40 on games is something I wouldn't even consider.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to test the iPod touch 5 at a nearby Apple Store this weekend.

Why? Not saying you can't but just curious why the need since you made this thread.

BTW, this is what I wrote when the 5G first came out:

After watching the iPhone 5 keynote, I was really shocked and happy at all the upgrades the touch got.

However even with the improvements, I'm still happy with my 4G touch. Using the keynote comparison:

4 Inch screen vs 3.5: Personally I'd rather have it at 3.5 inches as that is not too short or too long for me. Also since I put it in my pocket, the longer a device is, higher chance the screen might crack in my pocket while sitting down.

A5 vs A4: For me the A4 is fine. Obviously 2-3 years down the road some apps will run slow or not be supported but I'm fine with it. What I can currently do with it, is enough for me.

Camera: 5g is better but my pics look ok. Certainly not great but not horrible either. Low light makes it awful but I don't take pics in the pitch-dark.

Video: 1080p is better but 720p suits me just fine.

Wireless: 5g upgraded to 802.11 dual-band n but 4g already supports wireless b/g/n and is fast.

Lighting: Now this annoys me. The new adaptor/wall charger needed to use 5g is a pain compared to 4g.

Siri: While a nice feature, the novelty wears off quick. Voice control gets the job done for me but I don't use it.

iOS 6 vs 5.1.1: Some may like iOS6 but for me staying on iOS5.1.1 is currently better. More free RAM available on 4g is a major reason.

I believe those with 3rd Gen and lower- the 5G is a great upgrade. But those with 4G should stay with what they have unless one of the points above is absolutely important to you. Or unless you upgraded 4G to iOS6 which makes the device not so smooth.:cool:

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama

I will be, however I was recently involved in an accident and I'm planning to upgrade to an iPhone 4S or a 5 (haven't really decided and I'm trying to figure out which unlocked carrier I want)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Why? Not saying you can't but just curious why the need since you made this thread.

After watching the iPhone 5 keynote, I was really shocked and happy at all the upgrades the touch got.

However even with the improvements, I'm still happy with my 4G touch. Using the keynote comparison:

4 Inch screen vs 3.5: Personally I'd rather have it at 3.5 inches as that is not too short or too long for me. Also since I put it in my pocket, the longer a device is, higher chance the screen might crack in my pocket while sitting down.

A5 vs A4: For me the A4 is fine. Obviously 2-3 years down the road some apps will run slow or not be supported but I'm fine with it. What I can currently do with it, is enough for me.

Camera: 5g is better but my pics look ok. Certainly not great but not horrible either. Low light makes it awful but I don't take pics in the pitch-dark.

Wireless: 5g upgraded to 802.11 dual-band n but 4g already supports wireless b/g/n and is fast.

Lighting: Now this annoys me. The new adaptor/wall charger needed to use 5g is a pain compared to 4g.

Siri: While a nice feature, the novelty wears off quick. Voice control gets the job done for me but I don't use it.

iOS 6 vs 5.1.1: Some may like iOS6 but for me staying on iOS5.1.1 is currently better. More free RAM available on 4g is a major reason.

I believe those with 3rd Gen and lower- the 5G is a great upgrade. But those with 4G should stay with what they have unless one of the points above is absolutely important to you. Or unless you upgraded 4G to iOS6 which makes the device not so smooth.:cool:

It's easy for some people to say not to get a 5th gen if you have a 4th but you really can't compare till you actual use a 5th gen Touch for a while. Use a 5th gen Touch for a week and you will want to get rid of your 4th gen Touch :D.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
better camera,
better cpu,
better ram,
better graphichs power,
better screen,
better design (I know, it varies from person to person but 4th gen was too scratchable),
better speaker,
better ios 6 (3d maps, siri, panorama etc.),
better battery life,
faster,
lightning connector,
airplay,
now can play 1080p movies (4th gen was only up to 720p),
iOS 7 support (probably (or definitely) 4th gen won't get this update)...

I think these reasons are enough for upgrade from 4 to 5.

Disadvantage? To pricey. I can get a kindle fire hd 7 inch for $200.

----------

It's easy for some people to say not to get a 5th gen if you have a 4th but you really can't compare till you actual use a 5th gen Touch for a while. Use a 5th gen Touch for a week and you will want to get rid of your 4th gen Touch :D.

I'm going to go see it at the apple store this weekend, however i don't plan on just ditching my iPod touch 4 if I got one.

----------

I'm not just going for the 5th gen. I'm going just to look at products and maybe get a case for my 4th gen.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm going to go see it at the apple store this weekend, however i don't plan on just ditching my iPod touch 4 if I got one.

I don't think you should get the new one if you like your current one or don't have the money. I'm just stating that if you use the 5th gen Touch for a week or so, you will not want to go back to the 4th gen Touch.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I have used the iPod Touch since 2008 and have seen this question come up with every new model released. In my experience, it's best to skip a gen, and that buying every new model is really only for the die hards, or people who have plenty of money. I typically skipped a gen myself.

However, I think the 5th generation is the biggest leap in terms of upgrades and improvements, in the iPod Touch lifecycle, so that going from a 4th to a 5th gen is worth it.

But also deciding to wait for the next gen isn't a bad idea either. If you're happy with the 4th gen, then that's all that matters. I had to get it because I sold my 4th gen iPod for an android smartphone which sucked, and I hated, and sold, and had to buy a new iPod.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
It does have many new features, but if you don't think those extra features are worth the extra $100 then don't get it

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I got a 64Gb 4th gen when they first came out for a steal of a deal due to great :apple: customer service when they couldn't do anything in the store I stopped by for my original 16Gb 1st gen iPod Touch...so I'm waiting this revision out:p

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I'm probably not even going to use the new features anyway, and since my 4th gen still works perfectly fine I don't see a point in upgrading just yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.