Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hey,

I am interested in understanding the ins and outs of FCP and motion. Is the best option to attend a apple training centre course or are there other options.

Thanks.

WigWag Workshop

macrumors 6502
I recommend Ripple Training, If you look in iTunes for MacBreak Studio, they have a lot of training stuff for free. I used this one, http://www.rippletraining.com/categ...ials/final-cut-pro-x-tutorials/apvs-fcpx.html - and found it the easiest to follow-along with. I tried Lynda.com and Larry Jordan's training, and I personally did not like them has much. This is just my opinion, but Ripple training is what worked for me.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I found a wonderful sight for getting the feel of any software free of charge.
"YouTube". Before i indulge of paying. These so called tutorial companies only skip the basic element. They are o.k.

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I found a wonderful sight for getting the feel of any software free of charge.
"YouTube". Before i indulge of paying. These so called tutorial companies only skip the basic element. They are o.k.
Yes, this is where I started and I thought, I need to obtain something more structured.
I recommend Ripple Training, If you look in iTunes for MacBreak Studio, they have a lot of training stuff for free. I used this one, http://www.rippletraining.com/categ...ials/final-cut-pro-x-tutorials/apvs-fcpx.html - and found it the easiest to follow-along with. I tried Lynda.com and Larry Jordan's training, and I personally did not like them has much. This is just my opinion, but Ripple training is what worked for me.
Thanks, I'll definitely give this a go. I also did find Lynda.com, wasn't sure how that compared.
His training is not inexpensive, but it seems to be among the most knowledgable, comprehensive and constantly updated available:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/

video/webinars/free tutorials/forum, etc. for all versions of FCP and also Adobe AE.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it and then choose one so I can focus :)

I was looking at apple's certified training but couldn't even get to find out the cost. I guess perhaps, there maybe some advantages have their certification as far as freelance work is concerned.

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Well I have no idea. In other words, I am assuming the latest version ie. 10.6 is what I see in the app store.

I imagine I would use this if I am learning from scratch. Are the previous versions relevant for different scenarios.

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011

Ripple training is pretty good for getting a hang on things...understanding the basics.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Okay so you're talking Final Cut X 10.0.6. Honestly I'd watch a lot of MacBreak Studio YouTube videos but mostly just spend LOTS of time in the program and you will learn how to use every feature in it. It will take a least 1,000 hours of experience to be a capable editor in a wide variety of situations using Final Cut Pro X, so start now!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
And so our FCP person rides of to the sunset. A bit of information would have helped if you use FCP or doing any video editing, or use iMovie which is now a good platform to start and learn.
Good luck.:)

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
lol...

Have never used FCP before. Have played around with iMovie. There isn't much more to tell other than I want to learn it and get good at it which is why I was contemplating taking a formal course. So far I've just been helping friends with their home made stuff, which is what sparked the interest.

Lets see how it goes. Exciting...also liked what I saw in Motion when I was mucking around with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.