Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexmac712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
FL
I have iMac G5 PPC and it's losing its steam. But, I was wondering, could it be used as a monitor for the Mac mini. Can you even connect Mac mini to iMac?Would love to get new iMac, but if this is an affordable option..maybe?

SE30rulez!

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Yes, though what about the following?

Instead of using as a monitor, what about an old (2007) iMac connected to a new Mac Mini via screen sharing and/or application sharing?

That is, use the iMac as a (very smart!) dumb terminal, and rely on the Mini for more modern compute horsepower. Assume connection is through home network -- ethernet, not wifi. Is this a practical configuration?

My naive questions (inspired by the original question) are:
Any pitfalls?
Is screen sharing better/worse than using the mini as a server?
And is it necessary to get a mini server versus an ordinary mini?

Many thanks to any/all who have a view on this.

Yanwoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
I'm planning on doing this with a late 2009 imac but using target mode.

My concern with using screen sharing etc. would be lag. I've used it a few times between my various machines (albeit over wifi) and there's definitely a lag. Not a problem if you're just doing a few things but if you're using it as a main way of viewing things that lag would probably be a show stopper (for me, anyway)

----------

I should have mentioned there's only a few versions of the iMac that you can use as a monitor in target mode (the 2009/2010 versions I believe?)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Instead of using as a monitor, what about an old (2007) iMac connected to a new Mac Mini via screen sharing and/or application sharing?

That is, use the iMac as a (very smart!) dumb terminal, and rely on the Mini for more modern compute horsepower. Assume connection is through home network -- ethernet, not wifi. Is this a practical configuration?

My naive questions (inspired by the original question) are:
Any pitfalls?
Is screen sharing better/worse than using the mini as a server?
And is it necessary to get a mini server versus an ordinary mini?

Many thanks to any/all who have a view on this.

Truthfully, I always feel a lot of lag when using Screen Sharing. It is not as nice as a straight up monitor connected to the Mini. You would be better off getting a fairly cheap monitor and hooking it to the mini.

----------

I'm planning on doing this with a late 2009 imac but using target mode.

My concern with using screen sharing etc. would be lag. I've used it a few times between my various machines (albeit over wifi) and there's definitely a lag. Not a problem if you're just doing a few things but if you're using it as a main way of viewing things that lag would probably be a show stopper (for me, anyway)

----------

I should have mentioned there's only a few versions of the iMac that you can use as a monitor in target mode (the 2009/2010 versions I believe?)

The 2009 and 2010 27" iMac's can only be used in target display mode for Macs without Thunderbolt. So if you are planning to use your 2009 iMac in target display mode for a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, you will be out of luck. You can only use iMac's with Thunderbolt (currently only the 2011 until the 2012's come out) for target display mode for any Mac that has Thunderbolt.

Bummer I know.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Good thread. I was wondering about this because when my 2008 iMac finally goes, it probably won't be the display that fails, so I'd like to reuse that as a second monitor.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Good thread. I was wondering about this because when my 2008 iMac finally goes, it probably won't be the display that fails, so I'd like to reuse that as a second monitor.
You can't. None of the 2008 iMacs support Target Display Mode. None of them have a Mini DisplayPort.

Yanwoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
[/COLOR]

The 2009 and 2010 27" iMac's can only be used in target display mode for Macs without Thunderbolt. So if you are planning to use your 2009 iMac in target display mode for a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, you will be out of luck. You can only use iMac's with Thunderbolt (currently only the 2011 until the 2012's come out) for target display mode for any Mac that has Thunderbolt.

Bummer I know.[/QUOTE]

That is new information for me...thank you! I had concluded from this forum that using a mini 2012 with an older 2009 iMac would work. My bad...

Now this throws my plans into disarray...back to the drawing board :)

----------

Bummer I know.

Actually, are you sure? I just read this on Apple Support: "If you have a 27-inch iMac with a Mini DisplayPort, any other Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port can use it as a display." http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11302?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
[/COLOR]

Bummer I know.

That is new information for me...thank you! I had concluded from this forum that using a mini 2012 with an older 2009 iMac would work. My bad...

Now this throws my plans into disarray...back to the drawing board :)

----------

Actually, are you sure? I just read this on Apple Support: "If you have a 27-inch iMac with a Mini DisplayPort, any other Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port can use it as a display." http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11302?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US[/QUOTE]

Wow, must be an update to Mountain lion? I stand corrected!

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
I have been doing this with my Mac mini and 2010 27" iMac. I just toggle between the two command + F2
Works great! No need to upgrade my imac because the mini keeps up with my handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.