Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #1
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Question Streaming Music and its affects on battery life?

I know there are lots of threads on battery life but I have been searching for people's battery life when they are streaming music to see how long they get.

I am streaming music in the morning on 3G and I have 5 bars. I don't have any other programs running. I probably get 3 hours of streaming and am down to 50-60%. What does everyone else notice?

Thanks!
kalexn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:06 AM   #2
maflynn

OP, I updated your title to make it a little more descriptive. When titles are ambiguous you unintentionally impact the level of participation.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:29 AM   #3
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
OP, I updated your title to make it a little more descriptive. When titles are ambiguous you unintentionally impact the level of participation.
Thank you! I was afraid to write battery life and people would chime in saying there were too many posts about battery life.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #4
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

I find streaming impacts my battery life on my ip4 significantly more than listening to locally stored music through the music app. I can't give you any hard numbers though.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
MattBookBower
macrumors member

I stream the radio on my iPhone 5, it tends to go down pretty quick. I streamed my radio for about 45 minutes this morning and total usage is at 2 hours and 16 mins and I am at 63%.

I honestly think that there is something up with my battery, might have to make a genius appointment this weekend.
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 AM   #6
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookBower View Post
I stream the radio on my iPhone 5, it tends to go down pretty quick. I streamed my radio for about 45 minutes this morning and total usage is at 2 hours and 16 mins and I am at 63%.

I honestly think that there is something up with my battery, might have to make a genius appointment this weekend.
No that sounds about right with how mine is impacted too. So I am thinking it isn't the battery but streaming that does that. On days when I don't stream I can last the whole day without a recharge but when I stream the radio it depleats it FAST.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:47 AM   #7
mono1980
macrumors 6502

This is usually a non-issue for me because whenever I am streaming music I am usually at a place where I can have the phone plugged into a power source.
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #8
chrislaw
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to chrislaw
When I stream spotify I find it to be similar. Maybe 15-20% / hour. When I listen to downloaded podcasts on my commute its maybe 1-2% an hour.
chrislaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #9
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislaw View Post
When I stream spotify I find it to be similar. Maybe 15-20% / hour. When I listen to downloaded podcasts on my commute its maybe 1-2% an hour.
okay this makes me feel better. Guess I should listen to podcasts instead Or keep it plugged in.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
nburwell
macrumors 68000

I usually stream Rdio and SiriusXM via bluetooth in my car. I have noticed that my battery drains quicker when using the SiriusXM app than when I use the Rdio app. During a recent two hour drive up to NYC, I streamed SiriusXM the entire trip and my battery went from 68% to 30% in that span. I also had the maps app open to use for turn by turn directions. Needless to say, I had to connect my phone to my car charger on the trip back home later that night.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone