Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Not Interested in Settlement with Apple over Patent Issues

With Apple and HTC having announced a settlement in their patent dispute, some observers have wondered whether the move could signal the beginning of a broader effort to resolve such issues throughout the industry. Apple and a number of Android device manufacturers such as HTC have been locked in court battles over their intellectual property for the past several years.

Samsung has rapidly risen to become the dominant Android device manufacturer and Apple's most significant foe in both the courtroom and the marketplace, but AFP reports that Samsung has "no such intention" of settling with Apple.
Quote:
"We have no such intention," J.K. Shin, the head of Samsung Electronics' mobile unit, told reporters on Wednesday when asked if Samsung would seek a similar settlement.
Yonhap has more on Shin's comments:
Quote:
"It may be true that HTC may have agreed to pay 300 billion won (US$276 million) to Apple, but we don't intend to (negotiate) at all," Shin Jong-kyun, who heads the South Korean tech giant's mobile and IT division, told reporters. [...]

While the terms of the settlement were undisclosed, market watchers speculate HTC will pay between $6 to $8 per phone, which would amount to $180 million to $280 million a year.
The patent battle between Apple and Samsung is already being played out in courtrooms around the world, with Apple's most significant victory in the series being a $1 billion verdict against Samsung in the United States. Not all of the cases have gone Apple's way, however, with one of the most visible defeats having been in the United Kingdom where Apple was ordered to post public acknowledgements that Samsung had not infringed upon Apple's registered design for the iPad.

Article Link: Samsung Not Interested in Settlement with Apple over Patent Issues
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Samsung has the money for lawyers. They are larger than HTC, and can afford the fight. I must say though, Apple is becoming a patent troll. On some issues, I side with Apple, but these other claims are absurd.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Jason Garza
macrumors member

If we stop commenting on this crap maybe Mac Rumors will stop posting it.
Jason Garza is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:26 AM   #4
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Then it's war.
gmanist1000 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Garza View Post
Its their site. they can do what they want.

How is this crap?

I find this drama interesting. Like a cell phone soap opera.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Oh the irony...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Well it is News and rumors you care about. You must care.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:27 AM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Doubtful. It's industry news and while it seems as though the news outlets are beating a dead horse, it is still "news."

Samsung won't go away like HTC, sadly. And like another poster said, they have the funds to keep fighting.
GoCubsGo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:29 AM   #9
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I have to admit that it's nice to see Samsung standing up against Apple when it comes to all of this.
wordoflife is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:30 AM   #10
needfx
macrumors 68020

"Sc*ew you guys, I'm going home" - Eric Cartman
needfx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:31 AM   #11
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Yeah Samsung, just pay Apple 1 billion, stop supplying Apple any parts, make Galaxy Note only in the future, and stop the Android vs. iOS war.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:31 AM   #12
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

The idea of these 'patents' is just absurd...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:32 AM   #13
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Samsung has the money for lawyers. They are larger than HTC, and can afford the fight. I must say though, Apple is becoming a patent troll. On some issues, I side with Apple, but these other claims are absurd.
A patent troll is someone who sits on their patents without practicing them and then sues someone who attempts to use the patented method or technology. You may think apple is overly litigious, but they do practice their own patents, so they are not a troll.
QCassidy352 is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:32 AM   #14
dennno
macrumors regular

I guess they want that $1bil back.

Why don't they just invest the budget for legal fees on to R&D, come up with a new product and beat Apple? Guess they're just incapable of doing so.
dennno is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:36 AM   #15
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This thing is going thermonuclear, as predicted.

My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:37 AM   #16
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Position of Strength?

These guys play hardball. If Apple wants to settle, Sammy want them to beg.
iGrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:38 AM   #17
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post

Why don't they just invest the budget for legal fees on to R&D, come up with a new product and beat Apple? Guess they're just incapable of doing so.
Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II have already blown iPhone 5 out of the water, of course I know Apple fanbois are not going to admit this.

So if Apple reinvented "Smartphone", why can't the others follow the trend? Please think about this, Edison owned GE, and what would happen if he never allowed any others to open a power station? Do you think we will have hundreds of electrical appliances being used at home today if Edison acted just like Apple today? Simple!

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:39 AM   #18
samcraig
macrumors G5

There's no 1B to get back. Nothing has been paid to Apple. The case in Appeals. I've never seen so many people not understand this.

As for HTC/Samsung. HTC has a lot of financial problems right now and they couldn't risk the lawsuits and future legal issues. It was a smart move for THEM.

Samsung has deep pockets. They don't really need to back down. In the end - they will either pay the fine and license the tech. Or just keep fighting in court while producing their goods with judgements taking YEARS to settle.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:40 AM   #19
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker.
I wonder if we could wash Apple Socks in a Samsung Washing Machine.

And the word "settlement" sounds like some compromise between two parties. That sounds very good. Why would anyone not want to settle? However, by using HTC as an example of a "settlement", it's defining it as the non-Apple party paying Apple. If anyone would like to "settle" with me by sending me several hundred million dollars as you sell your stuff, PM me and I'll give you the address for your "settlement" checks.

Not all of these legal actions is Apple vs. others. Some of them are others vs. Apple. Where Apple vs. others might imply that others would need to pay something to Apple to "settle", Others vs. Apple would imply just the opposite. Point? If Apple vs. HTC is "settled" by HTC giving Apple $300M, Others vs. Apple would seemingly "settle" by Apple giving Others $___M too. If Apple is on the receiving end of every "settlement," then it's not really a settlement in terms of the usual objective definition of the term. In fact, I would frame it more like a divorce "settlement" where one spouse get most/all of the assets and the other gets a piece of paper that says they are no longer married.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:40 AM   #20
sillypooh
macrumors regular

I guess while they are still pending trial, they can continue the copying...

It's a strategy like any other and since it's so hard to prove things like technical patents and design influence in court, you could argue this has worked out in their favor so far.
sillypooh is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #21
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Do you trust a gadget manufacturer as a workstation maker?
iGrip is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Synchromesh
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Synchromesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Samsung won't go away like HTC, sadly. And like another poster said, they have the funds to keep fighting.
Why is it sad? It's a good thing that somebody stands up to Apple. I do agree that hearing about it every day is a bit annoying but if something good comes out of it and makes Apple less of a bully - then so be it.

Quote:
There are lots of reasons. One, it might be a matter of principal by now. Two, you don't let Apple bully you into submission. If they become successful at it, they'll create lots of precedent and continue doing it. Stopping them earlier is going to be easier than trying to stop them down the road.

Then of course there is billions of dollars lost when they'll have to pay fees to Apple from every phone sold. It's not like Apple's hurting for cash, they're just greedy. Btw, HTC is purely pathetic. I had an HTC phone and hated with a passion but now I see the company is not just sad in engineering sense but in integrity sense as well. I'll make sure to avoid buying any of their products as much as possible.
Synchromesh is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #23
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II have already blown iPhone 5 out of the water, of course I know Apple fanbois are not going to admit this.
That is ironically also a statement that sounds like it's coming from a fanboy.
subsonix is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 AM   #24
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:

Why do you think they are mutually exclusive. These companies can spend billions in legal fees AND R&D if they wanted.

And they have come up with new products. I guess you're incapable of seeing that though.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:43 AM   #25
iGrip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Please think about this, Edison owned GE, and what would happen if he never allowed any others to open a power station? Do you think we will have hundreds of electrical appliances being used at home today if Edison acted just like Apple today? Simple!
Had Edison won the war, we would NOT have hundreds of electrical appliances being used at home. Edison lost to Westinghouse and Tesla. Look it up.
iGrip is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion