Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
andyhutch1947
macrumors newbie

Need larger Time Machine BU HD or HDs

I have an iMac 27 late 2009 and I have always used one large BU drive for Time Machine. I just increased the size of my internal HD to 2TB with three External HDs (Mackintosh HD & Ext 1 & Ext 2 & Ext 3). My 2TB Time Machine BU HD is now too small for a complete backup. Is there a way to use multiple HDs as a BU drive?

Can I do multiple backups with each BU using different external HDs and one BU with Mac HD plus another Ext HD eg BU One =(Mac HD & Ext 1); BU Two =(Ext 2 & Ext 3)?

Any solutions?

Has to be a way with all the data we acquire.

Thanks

Andy
andyhutch1947 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

Time Machine does not span backups over multiple drives. You will need to figure out another solution.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 AM   #3
andyhutch1947
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Time Machine does not span backups over multiple drives. You will need to figure out another solution.
Sorry but I am confused by your post. Are you saying I can not BU multiple drives or, are you saying I can't BU different drives on each BU? In other words I will always have to BU the same set of drives.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhutch1947 View Post
Sorry but I am confused by your post. Are you saying I can not BU multiple drives or, are you saying I can't BU different drives on each BU? In other words I will always have to BU the same set of drives.
1. You can backup multiple drives to one drive as long as there is space.

2. You can have multiple (redundant) backup destinations, but they will all be the same.

3. You cannot (and I think this was your core issue) backup for example, 3TB of data to one 1TB and one 2TB drive. It all needs to fit on one destination drive.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

You could use a RAID 0 setup with two drives for Time Machine, but I personally wouldn't. I would just get a 3TB drive to use for Time Machine.
Stooby Mcdoobie is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:32 PM   #6
andyhutch1947
macrumors newbie

How do these Internet companies that offer backup services backup such large amounts of data?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:34 PM   #7
slu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhutch1947 View Post
How do these Internet companies that offer backup services backup such large amounts of data?
They only back up data. If you want to be able to do a full restore with Time Machine, you need a larger drive than the one in your computer.
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help