Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Hey guys,

I'll be traveling to Punta Cana for a vacation next week. Unfortunately the Hotel i'll be staying at offers Hard Wired internet but no wifi (except in the lobby). Some of the reviews I read claimed that the best decision would be to take a router over so you could make a wireless network.

Not very familiar with routers and what not so I figured I might as well as Macrumors on what the most cheapest and efficient router would be. I have fios at home but im guessing taking the fios router won't cut it.

Also, i was curious on whether or not the routers come with a premade pw. Just asking because I won't have a computer on me and at the same time I don't want the next door guests stealing my connection so I was hoping that the routers would also come set up with a pw.

Abridged version:
looking for a router thats cheap and efficient. All i want to do is plug it into the wall, put in the ethernet cord and be up and running. No messy set up.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It won't be as easy as that, the hotel would have to give you the details needed to set up the router so you might want to ring them up first and ask if they're okay with that. Then you have to check what kind of connection they have -ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, or fibre optic?

It may be easier to get a local SIM and just use your iPhone as a router.

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
I think Rosewill from Newegg is pretty good at a bargain. TP Link has a pocket router too.

You should configure it while at home. Put in a password before you leave. When you get to your destination, just plug it in the ethernet port. Have your iPhone remember the connection too.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I think Rosewill from Newegg is pretty good at a bargain. TP Link has a pocket router too.

You should configure it while at home. Put in a password before you leave. When you get to your destination, just plug it in the ethernet port. Have your iPhone remember the connection too.

If OP sets it up at some it'll be set up for his ISP and connection, not the hotel's, so it probably won't work when he plugs it in over there.

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Airport Express(old one without the wire) and Airport Utility app on your iPhone would be my recommendation. Its small and easy to use/set up. You can also set it up and change the settings from your iPhone.

I have 2 just for when I travel and use it every time. I set it up once at home (took 1 minute) and just plug it in anywhere I go and start browsing.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
So just bought an airport express. when i hook it up at the hotel, do i plug it in the wan or lan slot?

The hotel charges for wired internet so im taking a crummy laptop with me so i could pay. then im planning to unplug it from my comp and plug it in the airport express.

do you guys think i'll need to set up anything from home?

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
So just bought an airport express. when i hook it up at the hotel, do i plug it in the wan or lan slot?

The hotel charges for wired internet so im taking a crummy laptop with me so i could pay. then im planning to unplug it from my comp and plug it in the airport express.

do you guys think i'll need to set up anything from home?

You will plug into the WAN port on the AirPort Express. Make sure you take the AirPort Express, a power cable and two ethernet cables (one to go to the ethernet jack in your room and one to go to your laptop should you need to connect to it) I've traveled with a similar setup and it worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.