Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navigator73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I have an iPhone 4 running the last version of iOS 5. I have no desire to update to iOS 6. But I got an OTA update notification to upgrade to iOS 6.0.1. I do not know how to get rid of the badge on the settings app icon. My iPhone is not jailbroken, and I do not want to jailbreak it. Can you help me make the badge turn off?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have an iPhone 4 running the last version of iOS 5. I have no desire to update to iOS 6. But I got an OTA update notification to upgrade to iOS 6.0.1. I do not know how to get rid of the badge on the settings app icon. My iPhone is not jailbroken, and I do not want to jailbreak it. Can you help me make the badge turn off?

Any reason why you don't want to update to iOS 6?

And I'm sorry, but that's the only way to get rid of the badge.

There is also a thread exactly the same as yours that was 3 or so threads down, you could've posted there..

Last edited:

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
You can't remove that badge on Settings. Its not a normal notification.
I would recommend that you install iOS 6 because my dad has installed it on his iPhone 4 and said he noticed some speed improvements. It hasn't made it slow at all. The only thing you will give up is Google Maps.

navigator73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Not willing to give up Maps and YouTube for iOS 6. I gain nothing by upgrading. I don't have a 4S so I won't be able to enjoy Siri upgrades since I don't have Siri to begin with.

You know, every time I have posted something on this forum I get some nitpicker to reply about some trivial issue. So I didn't read an earlier thread, SORRY! I came here for help, not get a lecture. It really doesn't help solve my problem, and makes me feel unwelcome to ask. I don't need people's judgment about how I chose to operate my devices, I just needed to ask how do turn off this badge. Apparently I cannot turn it off. So I'll just live with it. That was all I needed to know. Thank you for at least answering the question.

As far as the other questions about why I don't want to upgrade my iOS, what's it to you? I wasn't asking for an opinion, just an answer about a task I wanted to perform.

I'll think twice about asking for advice from here in the future...

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
:eek: I see why you NEED to get rid of the badge!

Not willing to give up Maps and YouTube for iOS 6. I gain nothing by upgrading. I don't have a 4S so I won't be able to enjoy Siri upgrades since I don't have Siri to begin with.

You know, every time I have posted something on this forum I get some nitpicker to reply about some trivial issue. So I didn't read an earlier thread, SORRY! I came here for help, not get a lecture. It really doesn't help solve my problem, and makes me feel unwelcome to ask. I don't need people's judgment about how I chose to operate my devices, I just needed to ask how do turn off this badge. Apparently I cannot turn it off. So I'll just live with it. That was all I needed to know. Thank you for at least answering the question.

As far as the other questions about why I don't want to upgrade my iOS, what's it to you? I wasn't asking for an opinion, just an answer about a task I wanted to perform.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

You're the one coming off as rude. Keeping the forum less cluttered helps users trying to help find threads with questions to answer faster. The fact is, other people have similar questions and if you're not going to use the forum search feature, you could at least skim the page to see if there's a similar thread (I mean come on, it was the 3rd post down).

If you don't want to upgrade, that's up to you, but don't criticize us for just inquiring as to what's holding you back. Perhaps there's something you don't know about, or maybe you haven't read the tons of examples of iPhone 4 users that have upgraded to iOS 6 with no troubles at all.

Talk about sensitive. Until now, no one gave you a lecture, and no one was judging you, just merely asking an innocent question. One of the repliers even gave you a first-hand example of a no-problems iOS 6 upgrade on an iPhone 4.

Perhaps you should be more grateful that people are willing to help and less defensive for no good reason.

Also, there is a standalone Youtube app that you could use if you did upgrade.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

I understand how you feel. :)

I have an iPhone 4 that I'm giving to my son next week (I upgraded my iPhone in September) and I'm NOT upgrading it to iOS 6 for the reasons that you stated. My son is not interested in upgrading and prefers to use Google Maps & native YouTube. We've already discussed the fact that he'll learn to overlook the badge because it's not going away. He's cool with that. You'll be, too.

Raisethe9th

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
To anyone interested. Through research and good advice I know of a way to get rid of the badge without jailbreaking the iPhone. It is very easy. Basically the same way to get rid of newsstand. That annoyed me for awhile. Drop me a line. Deerintheheadlights@rocketmail.com

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
To anyone interested. Through research and good advice I know of a way to get rid of the badge without jailbreaking the iPhone. It is very easy. Basically the same way to get rid of newsstand. That annoyed me for awhile. Drop me a line. Deerintheheadlights@rocketmail.com

Is it Top Secret? Why not just post the solution for anyone who is reading the forum?

In addition, posting your email address is guaranteed to get you a load of spam from the bots.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I have a 3Gs and would like an answer on this topic, it's annoying to see the little red 1. I don't want iOS 6 because of the Maps issue and would rather hold off until I get my new iPhone later in the year.

Plus I've heard iOS 6 slows down older iPhones like my 3Gs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a 3Gs and would like an answer on this topic, it's annoying to see the little red 1. I don't want iOS 6 because of the Maps issue and would rather hold off until I get my new iPhone later in the year.

Plus I've heard iOS 6 slows down older iPhones like my 3Gs.
No slowdown really that people have noticed. That said, the answer is pretty much mentioned in the first reply or two in the thread--)perhaps short of a jailbreak tweak to do it) there's no way to remove that notification aside from actually upgrading.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
No slowdown really that people have noticed. That said, the answer is pretty much mentioned in the first reply or two in the thread--)perhaps short of a jailbreak tweak to do it) there's no way to remove that notification aside from actually upgrading.

Thought so, just didn't know if it had changed since that post.

The main thing I'd miss with iOS6 is the street view in Google so I'd rather keep iOS5 for now until I get my next iPhone and hope iOS7 has better Maps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thought so, just didn't know if it had changed since that post.

The main thing I'd miss with iOS6 is the street view in Google so I'd rather keep iOS5 for now until I get my next iPhone and hope iOS7 has better Maps.
The Google Maps app has streetview.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The Google Maps app has streetview.

I've tried it and it's not as easy to use as the built in on in iOS5, unless it's been improved since I tested it?

Either way I'm still not sure about upgrading. Also is it better to upgrade through iTunes than on the phone it's self?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've tried it and it's not as easy to use as the built in on in iOS5, unless it's been improved since I tested it?

Either way I'm still not sure about upgrading. Also is it better to upgrade through iTunes than on the phone it's self?
Ultimately it shouldn't really matter whether you do it via iTunes or the phone itself--some people have an "easier" time doing it via iTunes mostly for peace of mind than anything else really.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Ultimately it shouldn't really matter whether you do it via iTunes or the phone itself--some people have an "easier" time doing it via iTunes mostly for peace of mind than anything else really.

I think my issue is since my 3Gs is only 16Gb I don't have enough free space to do it on the phone. Plus I think it would be faster to do it hooked up to iTunes.

That's if I do it... I'll see if Apple releases the 5s in June/July.

ETA - after much debate I'm taking the plunge, iOS6 here I come!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.