Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
I don't see how this new "welcome screen" is really anything to get excited about.

It's really a simple "re-design" that now uses a white background instead of black, and increases the font size of same main blurb that appeared on the previous version.

It still uses some of the same colors for category types and actually increases the use of skeuomorphic icons beyond the previous version's sole use of an airplane for the "Boarding Passes" category. Now there are skeuomorphic icons representing every category.

The "film reel" icon for the movie ticket category is a poor choice as well given it also looks like lemon slice or even a soccer ball. The traditional "film frame" would have been less ambiguous.

But perhaps the biggest improvement in the new "welcome screen" is text replacement of "App Store" with "Apps for Passbook".

Though seemingly minor, it addresses much of the confusion IOS 6 users had with the previous version, namely why the only action available to proceed from the Passbook "welcome screen" is going to the App Store.

With the text changed to "Apps for Passbook", users can now deduce that Passport is not an app that is used on its own, but rather a function that needs to be supported by other "Apps for Passbook", namely apps from third-party vendors like Target, Tickemaster and United Airlines.

Overall, I don't think the problem with Passbook is with its design. Rather, the problem with Passbook is its functionality, which even a UI re-design from Jony Ives won't fix.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So are people who work in UI/UX fields only responsible for how software looks with little or no involvement in core functionality? :confused:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
So are people who work in UI/UX fields only responsible for how software looks with little or no involvement in core functionality? :confused:

Jony is in charge of human interface, which includes design and visual design. So no, he's not involved in functionality. I believe that department went to Craig.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss :)

The first thing that I thought when I saw the new welcome screen was Jony Ive! Nice to know someone else had the same thought!

I agree, I think Jony had an oversight in this :)

Looking forward to seeing more of his work, however, I hope it doesn't become too flat.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Jony is in charge of human interface, which includes design and visual design. So no, he's not involved in functionality. I believe that department went to Craig.

Yeah

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 121

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
who cares about how it looks? work on compatibility with retailers/sellers before tweaking how it looks... because for many places, right now it just looks like a waste of space.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OP, it just doesn't cut what I think we would all hope for from Ive. Nice try though.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

Is this so clear cut?

I think we need to take a step back and ask what we mean by functionality. Ive may not be writing the code or choosing the features of the device, but how we interact with the features is very much a functionality question. Human Interface is part of how an object works, how it functions.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ok because the guy in charge of UI/UX for iOS is Greg Christie and he's on a boatload of software patents (along with Scott Forstall). So that either means he has/had more responsibility than just UI, or UI is more than just how something looks. To me the term interface means how you interact with something, not just whether an icon has rounded corners or is flat vs skeuomrphic. So to me "Human Interface" means how we interact with our devices, not just if the software is visually appealing. My guess is Ive will be setting direction, providing the vision and working closely with team members of Federighi and Cue. Cook said Ive had human interface across the company so I assume that includes iTunes and the App/iBook stores.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Ok because the guy in charge of UI/UX for iOS is Greg Christie and he's on a boatload of software patents (along with Scott Forstall). So that either means he has/had more responsibility than just UI, or UI is more than just how something looks. To me the term interface means how you interact with something, not just whether an icon has rounded corners or is flat vs skeuomrphic. So to me "Human Interface" means how we interact with our devices, not just if the software is visually appealing. My guess is Ive will be setting direction, providing the vision and working closely with team members of Federighi and Cue. Cook said Ive had human interface across the company so I assume that includes iTunes and the App/iBook stores.

Yes, when I said "design" I meant it in a broad sense of interface and interaction, visual design is distinctly different and really a smaller issue.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
i'd probably make the Notes heading bold just to seperate it from the actual notes

Yeah that would probably make it pretty much perfect.

I'm pretty excited to see what's coming next year, a lot more than I was about iOS 6. Hopefully the "pedal to the metal" thing also applies to iOS and not just the hardware.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
The first thing that I thought when I saw the new welcome screen was Jony Ive! Nice to know someone else had the same thought!

I agree, I think Jony had an oversight in this :)

Looking forward to seeing more of his work, however, I hope it doesn't become too flat.

Yes I agree. I love clean and elegant, and I am not a HUGE fan of skeuomorphism, BUT subtle little hints here and there of skeuomorphism that are functional can add some character and are fun!

Android has been pretty ugly most of its life, but I have to admit Matias Duarte is doing a nice job with UI in the very latest versions like Jelly Bean. I would like a mix between that and iOS!

Could this be the future of Notes?

Thanks for the post. That is pretty nice, and I like the name :)

I am working on some mockups myself but haven't had a lot of time on my hands lately haha.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Looks like MS Windows 8

That was my first thought too. Plus I wouldn't like like lower contrast from text to background. Make it hard to read.

----------

Could this be the future of Notes?

The left (old) version I would prefer as the dates are easier to read. We sure can change the brownish color of the header but the line layout in the right version is less easy for me to read.

Last edited:

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
Jony Ive probably hasn't unpacked yet from moving to his new office. No way he's had any influence on any OS look yet.

Your entire comment is an unfounded assumption. Why would you assume he is moving or changing offices lol? I'm sure things are going just like normal while adding his oversight to an aspect he didn't have control over before. Simple as that!

Agreed - I very much doubt he's had anything to do with this. If you ask me this is just a further progression along the "light-en-ing" of the UI that we've been seeing in iOS6. Music app, app store, etc.

For what it's worth light-grey text on light background is not ideal for mobile devices in my opinion... Also the icons look rather metro-esque - I much prefer the icons in the old passbook welcome screen.

I think it makes perfect sense. He is not the one creating actual designs lol! There is an entire team of very talented designers that do that work and he is now simply giving his direction to that team. This new welcome screen is a noticeably different style than anything else from Apple in iOS so it would make perfect sense that Ive gave his suggestions to the design team and this is a small result thus far.

I also think this is much more than moving from blue tones to gray haha! It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ive isn't happy about some of the UI design going on at Apple as the design team becomes more polarized between clean and skeuomorphism as was reported. Then when someone recently asked Jony about that in an interview he simply said he wasn't in charge of that! That is a very clear comment IMHO! Jony didn't want to be blamed for bad design from Scott that was tarnishing his beautiful hardware. That was after Apple started getting bashed in the media for skeuomorphism. I can easily see Jony going to Tim and saying... "look Tim, this UI stuff isn't going in the right direction, even the media can see that lately... I design beautiful hardware and then these ridiculous UIs are the face of that and undermine that design... I want oversight of the design teams! Tim: Hmmm. We can't lose you Jony, and Scott has been a problem, in fact Bob left because of him, so ya, Scott is out, Bob comes back, and you now have oversight over design and UI.

Pretty clear what happened I think!

Well looks like the fan boys found their new demigod. Ive will be responsible for every pixel shift from here on out. Naw, forget the dozens of uber talented designers at Apple... Ive touches everything. He's in all places at one time. I bet he spent the time since his promotion doing nothing but a splash page for the Passbook app. I mean, what else would be a better use of his time?

Like i said above. He is like a director and helping the design team huddle around a unified vision and style instead of being torn apart by polarizing views of clean vs. skeuomorphism.

If you think Jony himself would waste his time designing a welcome screen you obviously don't understand how things work in a huge position at a massive corporation like Apple. But to say Jony has articulated his vision of design to the design team and that they are now following that with his oversight is exactly what we have been told he would do and is doing and I guarantee that this being noticeably different from iOS design thus far is a tiny piece of that process already taking place! Why is it so hard to get that?

This is exactly how it feels around here nowadays. Personally, I am saddened that some of his focus will be removed from making great hardware, which is in my opinion what he does best.

He is taking a holistic approach to product design, not taking time away from doing hardware. This will crank things up another notch, not take away!

Have you seen Google Now? That's how I imagine an OS designed by Jony Ive will look. Google really nailed the design language there. It's simple, legible, and pretty without any excess kitsch.

Ya I kinda like that design as well! Matias Duarte has done a good job making Android not so disgustingly hideous hehe :)

I doubt Ive will be "designing" anything. He will just be giving his opinion on what's being designed and suggestions for improvements.

I like that he will have the YES/NO on stuff making it to our iDevices :)

THIS! Finally someone that has a realistic understanding of how Jony will be directing the design teams!

Ive has taste.

Even if he just decision-makes with a "Yes/No/Try Harder" that will be better for iOS.

Yup!

OP, it just doesn't cut what I think we would all hope for from Ive. Nice try though.

See my comments above.

Last edited:

karter16

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think it makes perfect sense. He is not the one creating actual designs lol! There is an entire team of very talented designers that do that work and he is now simply giving his direction to that team. This new welcome screen is a noticeably different style than anything else from Apple in iOS so it would make perfect sense that Ive gave his suggestions to the design team and this is a small result thus far.

I also think this is much more than moving from blue tones to gray haha! It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ive isn't happy about some of the UI design going on at Apple as the design team becomes more polarized between clean and skeuomorphism as was reported. Then when someone recently asked Jony about that in an interview he simply said he wasn't in charge of that! That is a very clear comment IMHO! Jony didn't want to be blamed for bad design from Scott that was tarnishing his beautiful hardware. That was after Apple started getting bashed in the media for skeuomorphism. I can easily see Jony going to Tim and saying... "look Tim, this UI stuff isn't going in the right direction, even the media can see that lately... I design beautiful hardware and then these ridiculous UIs are the face of that and undermine that design... I want oversight of the design teams! Tim: Hmmm. We can't lose you Jony, and Scott has been a problem, in fact Bob left because of him, so ya, Scott is out, Bob comes back, and you now have oversight over design and UI.

Pretty clear what happened I think!

Of course he's not doing everything himself - I didn't say that.

Look at the timeline though.

On the 30th (or thereabouts, I can't be bothered checking) Apple announce that Ive will assume the new responsibilities.

On the 1st Nov beta 1 of 6.1 is release

Two weeks later beta 2 is released... So what you are saying is that two weeks after it was announced that Ive would assume new responsibilities he is already implementing the look and feel (or experimentation thereof) of the 'new iOS'? Sorry but I find that hard to believe.

I agree that the new welcome screen is notably different, but then again so is the old one (text on black gradient) - it's the first thing I noticed when I first saw passbook in 6.0 was that it was a different 'look' to the rest of iOS. I think this is more of a case of a new feature finding it's footing and experimentation around it.

Also: I'm not disputing that it's fairly obvious that iOS design is going to go in a different direction with Jony in charge, and I'm excited for what that will look like. I just don't think that the new passbook screen has anything whatsoever to do with that...

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss :)

Well, there's definitely a noticeable difference in style when compared to other parts of iOS. How much of it Ive had anything to do with is certainly questionable, but if he's the one approving or disapproving artwork, it's only logical that he was somehow involved.

Remember, he's taking over Steve Jobs' duties in overseeing human interfaces. He's likely not designing them himself, he's just approving or disapproving based on his taste and/or zeal for perfection.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
All I see is the one thing I hate: Ads. In this case, Target demanding my attention and imposing its branding in my face while I'm trying to use a device and app I paid for.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If Scott Forstall is still around in any capacity how much influence does Ive have right now? My guess is we'll see his influence after Forstall leaves. Besides it's not like all of apples UIs have been skeuomrphic. But that's part of the problem - an inconsistent design language across iOS/iTunes/App Store. That's one of the things I hope Ive can fix. Get a cohesiveness of design across all of iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.