Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krogers34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So why does apple continue to stick to the same pricing plan for iPad's that has been in place since 2010? The argument might have been able to be made back then that the extra GB's actually did cost around that much more, but now with how fast data storage prices have fallen it seems like if they want to keep this up in the future they should start adding features or something to justify that higher price. In the end, it doesn't really matter if people are still willing to pay $200 more to get 48GB more, but apple must be clearing so much more profit on those than the 16GB. I could be completely off here. All assumptions. Just something that has been on my mind.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
So why does apple continue to stick to the same pricing plan for iPad's that has been in place since 2010? The argument might have been able to be made back then that the extra GB's actually did cost around that much more, but now with how fast data storage prices have fallen it seems like if they want to keep this up in the future they should start adding features or something to justify that higher price. In the end, it doesn't really matter if people are still willing to pay $200 more to get 48GB more, but apple must be clearing so much more profit on those than the 16GB. I could be completely off here. All assumptions. Just something that has been on my mind.

And you know that old saying about "assume."

krogers34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
thank you for your wonderfully insightful and fact filled response that informed me about anything I brought up.

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
it's because we keep buying them, they will charge as much as the market will withstand to maximize profit. you can always come down in price but rarely can you go up without a big fuss

Jeans89

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Helsinki, Finland

You are so right. I guess this will stay as it is as long as people are not complaining it fiercly. I have been buying only the 16GB phones and iPads due to this for 2 years. I can get along with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.