Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Anyone use Navigon by Garmin

I have a question for anyone who has used Navigon by Garmin for say a year or so.

I wanted to find a GPS app that did not require a cellular data connection as I do not have a data plan for my iPhone. As I did my Google searches, one app that seemed to come up consistently in discussions was Navigon by Garmin.

Since I only travel around the greater Washington-Baltimore Metropolitan Area, I purchased the Eastern U.S. version of Navigon. It is a very rare occurrance for me to travel outside of the Eastern U.S. do to work and family commitments. So I figured I'd save the $30 or so dollars.

When I installed the app, I discovered that there were some in app purchase options. One of those was Freshmaps XL which allowed you to purchase a two-year map subscription.

The problem with Freshmaps XL is that they only offer one version and that covers all of North America.

I really like the idea of buying a map subscription so I don't have to worry about updating maps, but I don't want to pay for maps that I will never use and due to the app I purchased originally (Eastern U.S.) I would never be able to use.

So, now my question. Does anyone know if Garmin offers another way to update maps other that purchasing mapquest? Does Garmin offer some type of periodic update and if so, how can I make sure I find out about it when it happens?

Thanks in advance.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
So, now my question. Does anyone know if Garmin offers another way to update maps other that purchasing mapquest? Does Garmin offer some type of periodic update and if so, how can I make sure I find out about it when it happens?
FreshMaps XL is about two things (1) all USA and Canada maps and (2) quarterly map update for at least 2 years.

Even without FreshMaps XL, Garmin will update maps roughly once a year (since they can't sell 1+ year old map to new customers).
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:05 AM   #3
makdeniss
macrumors member

I am using it more than a year. Great app! Very quality maps and correct navigation. I've travelled through the whole Europe using this app. Not a single bad comment about it.
makdeniss is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
FreshMaps XL is about two things (1) all USA and Canada maps and (2) quarterly map update for at least 2 years.

Even without FreshMaps XL, Garmin will update maps roughly once a year (since they can't sell 1+ year old map to new customers).
Thank you for the reply, nutmac.

Does this mean that I will have to buy the app again when they offer an update, or will I receive an offer to purchase the map updates for the Eastern US at a reduced cost?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:26 PM   #5
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Does this mean that I will have to buy the app again when they offer an update, or will I receive an offer to purchase the map updates for the Eastern US at a reduced cost?
No, the update will be offered for free. At least, it has always been offered for free.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:46 PM   #6
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Use to use this app, but I've recently stuck with WAZE. I suggest you give it a try.

2011 13'' MB Air || 64GB Iphone 6 (T-Mobile) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:06 PM   #7
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I can confirm the map updates so far are free with Navigon, I just received an update notice and free update for mine. Maybe it is free for the first year or something, I do not know, but so far so good.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:20 AM   #8
sim667
macrumors 6502a

I know in europe updates are free, its got map manager so we can download country by country as we need them....
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone who has replied, but now I am really confused.

If an annual map update is offered for free, what's the point of Freshmaps XL?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:44 PM   #10
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thank you everyone who has replied, but now I am really confused.

If an annual map update is offered for free, what's the point of Freshmaps XL?
As I have said in my first reply, FreshMaps XL offers quarterly update for at least two years (instead of roughly once a year without) and adds all the maps included with NAVIGON North America (aka USA & CAN).

I suppose it is technically possible for Garmin to offer newer maps to only new customers, but it has always offered map update as a part of major feature update. Here's a partial history of last 5 map update (used to be a lot more frequent before FreshMaps XL was introduced with 2.0):
  • September 20, 2012: 2.2
  • November 17, 2011: 2.0
  • May 25, 2011: 1.8.2
  • May 5, 2011: 1.8.1
  • April 14, 2011: 1.8.0

I have NAVIGON USA and FreshMaps XL normally costs $40 (it occasionally goes on sale for as low as $20). But I rarely travel to Canada (once every 5 years, if at that) and I don't live in an area where maps change all that frequently to warrant a purchase.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:45 AM   #11
stockcerts
macrumors 65816

I've been using Navigon for well over two years. I bought the North American version as when it was first offered you couldn't purchase just portions of the U.S. I used Navigon to drive to Florida and back (live in San Francisco), and it was awesome! Now there is the map manager so I only have California maps on my iPhone, but when I travel I have the option to load the rest of the country.

I did subscribe to the map updates, I figured for $10- for two years it is worth it. Years ago I had a Garmin Nuvi and the annual update was close to $100-.

I'm a big fan, but I also have high hopes for Apple maps as I like the Siri integration.
stockcerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #12
harnadem
macrumors newbie

I have been using Navigon since purchasing my iPhone 5. At the time it was on sale for about half the regular cost. I use the N.America maps, and really like the fact that you can download only those regions you are travelling in. Since I'm in Ontario, I rely primarily upon that map, but can download individual states when we travel.

The voice commands are easily understood and precise (if a little repetitive).

My version does download minimum data for the live traffic messages. However, once you download a map, you can run the app without a data connection.

My only complaint is that I can not enlarge the map to make it easier to read the street names. You can enlarge the current screen, but need to restore back to original size to see the "real time" movement on the map.

I like it enough that it has replaced my Garmin GPS. I'm interested to see how Nokia's new iOS app (called "HERE") for the iPhone compares.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:43 PM   #13
nutmac
macrumors 68020

My quick summary of NAVIGON (I have the USA version).

Goods:
  • Solid routing and mapping data
  • Lifetime traffic information for $19.99 (most competitors, including Garmin's own are $19.99 per year).
  • Offline map with map manager that lets you download only the states you need
  • Both built-in offline POI (points of interest) database and Google search for POI

Bads:
  • Slow (decent on iPhone 5 though)
  • Ugly map
  • Cluttered and confusing UI
  • Drains battery quickly
  • Buggy

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnadem View Post
I'm interested to see how Nokia's new iOS app (called "HERE") for the iPhone compares.
From what I can gather, Nokia's new app will not offer turn-by-turn driving directions.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps