Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Superman041
macrumors regular

Hard facts needed.. [iPhone 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3]

Hi

Could someone explain to me the advantage os getting the iPhone 5 over the Samsung Galaxy S3 ?

I know the "feel" of the iPhone is a benefit that people will say. The S3 is cheaper and can do the same/if not more than the iPhone5.

What can the iPhone5 do that the S3 can't ? Is IOS boring ? Same standard grid, with the samsung you can get widgets which constantly upate in the background.

Last edited by Superman041; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Superman041 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2
snberk103
macrumors 603

They are both selling well - which means they are both good products in people's opinions. Only you know what your circumstances are... therefore you should go and try them both out at their respective vendors, and talk to people in your area who have experience with both. Someone else's experience is not necessarily appropriate to your particular situation.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:57 AM   #3
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

I have had both phones, sold the S3.

The Apple ecosystem is what kept me on the iPhone. Using my iPhone as a remote for my AppleTV for example. The integration is the biggest benefit, not necessarily the phones themselves.

If you get the S3, just make sure to either root it or use a different launcher than the stock TouchWiz. It's the worst part about Samsung devices. If I were to ever get an Android device again, and I probably will at some point, it will be a Nexus.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:32 PM   #4
pedromartins
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman041 View Post
Hi

Could someone explain to me the advantage os getting the iPhone 5 over the Samsung Galaxy S3 ?

I know the "feel" of the iPhone is a benefit that people will say. The S3 is cheaper and can do the same/if not more than the iPhone5.

What can the iPhone5 do that the S3 can't ? Is IOS boring ? Same standard grid, with the samsung you can get widgets which constantly upate in the background.
The iPhone is much faster (faster or equal fast processor vs processor, but thanks to iOS, much faster UI), has better graphics (beats the s3 by a factor of 3 at some tests), native apps instead of java-based (much faster again), has more useful/entertainment apps that take advantage of it's extra power and are designed for it, has a much better camera, better screen (much more accurate, a screen where you can actually read outdoors), better build quality, better battery life especially at intensive tests (like video, not in standby), better build quality, thinner, lighter, better design.

Then you have ecosystem.

Proof/hard facts the OP asked for

Performance

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/g...us-10-review/2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/i...under-the-hood

Build quality

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/...ce-and-screen/

Screen

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...d-iphone-wins/

Camera

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6454_7-...x-the-cameras/

So basically only someone very very ignorant or someone that does not "need" the phone for anything useful (someone that is worried about widgets, someone that only wants a new toy, etc.) will buy a S3. Hard fact.

If someone really wants android at all costs (even if it means loosing so much performance and other features), look at the one x, the new droid from htc with 440ppi, etc.

I hope this helps.
(inform yourself first before buying into the hypewagon that Samsung produces. They are scum. They do not produce true high resolution Amoled screens (pentile) and they sell their best screens to Apple first (that's why they are investing so much on Amoled), their build quality is disgusting, their skin on top of Android is even offensive to google's good work (they, samsung, tried to put a copy of the iOS look on top of android). Also, inform yourself about what java is and why android phones always lose in real world performance against iPhones.)

Have a nice day.

Last edited by pedromartins; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
pedromartins is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Could someone explain to me the advantage of getting the iPhone 5 over the Samsung Galaxy S3 ?
You don't look ridiculous when you make a phone call. On the other hand, if you are ever attacked in the dark, the Galaxy might have advantages as a weapon.
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Superman041
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
The iPhone is much faster (faster or equal fast processor vs processor, but thanks to iOS, much faster UI), has better graphics (beats the s3 by a factor of 3 at some tests), native apps instead of java-based (much faster again), has more useful/entertainment apps that take advantage of it's extra power and are designed for it, has a much better camera, better screen (much more accurate, a screen where you can actually read outdoors), better build quality, better battery life especially at intensive tests (like video, not in standby), better build quality, thinner, lighter, better design.

Then you have ecosystem.

Performance

Build quality

Screen

Camera

So basically only someone very very ignorant or someone that does not "need" the phone for anything useful (someone that is worried about widgets, someone that only wants a new toy, etc.) will buy a S3. Hard fact.

If someone really wants android at all costs (even if it means loosing so much performance and other features), look at the one x, the new droid from htc with 440ppi, etc.

I hope this helps.
(inform yourself first before buying into the hypewagon that Samsung produces. They are scum. They do not produce true high resolution Amoled screens (pentile) and they sell their best screens to Apple first (that's why they are investing so much on Amoled), their build quality is disgusting, their skin on top of Android is even offensive to google's good work (they, samsung, tried to put a copy of the iOS look on top of android). Also, inform yourself about what java is and why android phones always lose in real world performance against iPhones.)

Have a nice day.
Thank you very much for the detailed response !
Superman041 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:49 PM   #7
kgian
macrumors regular

As they say "it's all about the software". With the iphone (in general) you can't do everything, but the important 95% that you can do you can do it very easy and well.

With android you can do everything but you dont know how any software or action reacts with everything else.
kgian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Superman041
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgian View Post
As they say "it's all about the software". With the iphone (in general) you can't do everything, but the important 95% that you can do you can do it very easy and well.

With android you can do everything but you dont know how any software or action reacts with everything else.
Sorry I don't understand the second half of your point
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Yester5
macrumors regular

Android apps are not as consistently good as Apple apps. I believe Apple's control of what apps can do and how they work stands for quality. I have had Android tablets and phones and I will never go back...Apple all the way...more bang for the buck, IMHO
Yester5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #10
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
iPhone 5 build quality is better.
iPhone 5 screen is better.
iPhone 5 is faster in every single aspect.
iPhone 5 has the better software ecosystem, apps are curated.
iPhone 5 has the best cameras of ANY smartphone on market right now.
iPhone 5 has better resale value.
iPhone 5 has more cases and accessories.

Oh and iPhone 5 is completely original and innovative.

Galaxy SIII has certain features that iPhone 5 doesn't. It's slower, it's cheaply built, it makes this very cool creaking sound when holding it, it's got this disgusting low quality screen, it's got a bunch of gimmicky features that are half-baked and poorly implemented. If you want an Android phone, look at HTC's Droid DNA or LG Nexus 4. Both perform better, are designed better, built better and either are cheaper or costs the same as Galaxy SIII.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:46 PM   #11
caonimadebi
macrumors regular

Having experienced most iterations of the iPhone (2G, 3GS, and 4) and an early version of android (nexus one), I feel compelled to summarize my iphone experience that eventually led me to the Galaxy S3.
Hardware quality: iPhone has always been the benchmark(iPhone>any android)
Performance: Seems like iPhone 5's performance is off the chart, so Apple can have this one. But the Galaxy S3, with 2GB of RAM, is no slouch
Screen quality: I find iPhone 5's IPS LCD display to be high quality, but the S3 AMOLED's true black is quite easy on the eye. I call this category a draw
iOS vs Android: Android has always had more features, at the expense of ease of use. But recently Android has also gotten much more sophisticated than iOS, and just as intuitive in the recent iterations. With iOS I feel stuck in a icon-based UI dated from 2007, while Android (if Samsung is kind enough to develop the updates) feels like a continuous evolution in user interface.
Google integration: Android wins obviously. Fully integrated Gmail, youtube in HD, full-feature Google maps, Chrome etc leave iOS-associated core apps in the dust. I wish Google would share more of these core services on iOS, but for now I will have to go with Android. Sure Apple has iCloud, but it really is quite primitive compared with Google's offerings.

Overall experience of moving from iPhone to Galaxy S3: Galaxy S3 basically patched up all the inadequacies I saw in my first Android. The UI is silky smooth like iOS and no longer stutters like the N1. Battery life on S3 seems to stand out from your typical android, and is about as good as any iPhone.
Best of all, I feel that the S3, more than any other Android phone, is a successful but shameless attempt to copy the iPhone experience: the round corners of the phone, the single physical home button, the Springboard like app layout. In short, the familiar iOS-like interface, mated to the powerful Google features, were too difficult for me to resist.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Superman041
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Then you have ecosystem.

Performance

Build quality

Screen

Camera

I hope this helps.

Have a nice day.
What would you say to that last post about the S3 being better ?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caonimadebi View Post
Having experienced most iterations of the iPhone (2G, 3GS, and 4) and an early version of android (nexus one), I feel compelled to summarize my iphone experience that eventually led me to the Galaxy S3.
Hardware quality: iPhone has always been the benchmark(iPhone>any android)
Performance: Seems like iPhone 5's performance is off the chart, so Apple can have this one. But the Galaxy S3, with 2GB of RAM, is no slouch
Screen quality: I find iPhone 5's IPS LCD display to be high quality, but the S3 AMOLED's true black is quite easy on the eye. I call this category a draw
iOS vs Android: Android has always had more features, at the expense of ease of use. But recently Android has also gotten much more sophisticated than iOS, and just as intuitive in the recent iterations. With iOS I feel stuck in a icon-based UI dated from 2007, while Android (if Samsung is kind enough to develop the updates) feels like a continuous evolution in user interface.
Google integration: Android wins obviously. Fully integrated Gmail, youtube in HD, full-feature Google maps, Chrome etc leave iOS-associated core apps in the dust. I wish Google would share more of these core services on iOS, but for now I will have to go with Android. Sure Apple has iCloud, but it really is quite primitive compared with Google's offerings.

Overall experience of moving from iPhone to Galaxy S3: Galaxy S3 basically patched up all the inadequacies I saw in my first Android. The UI is silky smooth like iOS and no longer stutters like the N1. Battery life on S3 seems to stand out from your typical android, and is about as good as any iPhone.
Best of all, I feel that the S3, more than any other Android phone, is a successful but shameless attempt to copy the iPhone experience: the round corners of the phone, the single physical home button, the Springboard like app layout. In short, the familiar iOS-like interface, mated to the powerful Google features, were too difficult for me to resist.

I do agree when you say " With iOS I feel stuck in a icon-based UI dated from 2007, while Android (if Samsung is kind enough to develop the updates) feels like a continuous evolution in user interface" . I'm split between the two
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 AM   #13
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi

Why do you need hard facts?
iRCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Superman041
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
Why do you need hard facts?
Eliminate the "airy-fairy" reasons people give and to also remove the fanboy comments to make it a serious discussion.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice