|Nov 14, 2012, 02:44 PM||#1|
I'm very inclined to go for the mac mini over the iMac
I have been waiting for the iMac since Nov 2011, and after the long wait, I found the update very disappointing because (for the iMac 21"):
- No firewire (I wouldn't mind FW 800 only, but nothing?), I don't want another adapter
- No audio input (why??)
- Sub-par HDD (5400rpm, why?), the SSD is too small, and fusion doesn't convince me and it is more expensive than a standard 7200 HDD and an extra SSD
- Not user upgradeable (so no chance to save some more and in the future upgrade by myself the RAM and HDD or add an extra SSD). This is one of the main points for my upcoming decision, I'm not going to pay almost 4 times what I can get at Crucial, or changing the HDD in the future isn't possible.
- All in one, the screen could get damaged and the all unit has to be sent for repair, or the opposite, the motherboard could die and the screen could be rendered useless.
Looking at all these, and I never even payed much attention to the mac mini, I started to look at it and what I really like:
- user upgradeable (I can get 16GB of RAM for about 80 EUR, and at Apple they charge 300 EUR and don't even give me the original 4 GB); I can change the HDD, or even swap it with another HDD or SSD.
- I can add another HDD or SSD!
- it has firewire
- it has an audio input
- comes with the adapter for a DVI monitor, I can plug it already to my monitor
I'm inclined to ditch the iMac purchase and go for the mac mini (i7 2.6GHz), the only doubt is if it will perform as well as the iMac, the advantages of the iMac for me are:
- nice screen (I do have a nice one already and will probably buy another one, but nothing compared to the one on the iMac)
- dedicated graphics card
- more powerful (?)
Will the mac mini perform as well? User upgradeability is important for me, and also the silence and temperature, I don't know if the mac mini is silent or warm/hot...
Is this a good idea? I mean, Apple could listen to the consumer (cough, cough) and maybe release an updated iMac with a proper HDD and user upgradeable RAM, chance to add an extra HDD or SSD (let me dream, ok?)
Your input will be helpful, thanks!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Mac mini vs Mac Pro vs iMac||macnoob222||Buying Tips and Advice||12||Apr 2, 2013 08:43 PM|
|Thunderbolt Mac Mini to Mini DisplayPort iMac 27" cable?||keogh||Mac mini||5||Jan 11, 2013 06:57 AM|
|Mac Mini vs IMac confusion..First Time Mac Buyer||MacMiniBuyer||Mac mini||13||Dec 22, 2012 07:53 PM|
|Mac Pro vs Mac Mini Vs iMac?||macstevie9||Mac Pro||14||Dec 6, 2012 10:17 AM|
|MacRumors Roundups for iPad Mini, 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini||MacRumors||MacRumors.com News Discussion||56||Oct 23, 2012 10:38 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.