Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:53 PM   #26
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

I used TalkaTone for the 1st time on my iPhone 5 today. I had 4 bars on 4G with at&t. The person that I called told me that they couldn't hear me and that I was breaking up a lot. Now I'm very concerned on using this if I were to switch away from my iPhone 5 and just use a iPad Mini 4G. I wonder if Skype would sound better.
dinosaur1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:13 PM   #27
Paito
macrumors regular

I use talkatone + google voice with my ipad 3 and it works great.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:15 PM   #28
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paito View Post
I use talkatone + google voice with my ipad 3 and it works great.
Why am I getting such poor voice calls? Is if because I always have apps running in the memory?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:40 PM   #29
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Why am I getting such poor voice calls? Is if because I always have apps running in the memory?
What did you use Bluetooth, iPhone headset, iPad microphone? Try different ones to see if that'll fix the issue.
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:03 PM   #30
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortri View Post
What did you use Bluetooth, iPhone headset, iPad microphone? Try different ones to see if that'll fix the issue.
I used my iPhone 5 just to test out the app.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I used my iPhone 5 just to test out the app.
Could of been a bad connection the moment you used it I suggest trying it again. I've successfully used it but occasionally I do get a bad connection or echo.
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:44 PM   #32
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I used TalkaTone for the 1st time on my iPhone 5 today. I had 4 bars on 4G with at&t. The person that I called told me that they couldn't hear me and that I was breaking up a lot. Now I'm very concerned on using this if I were to switch away from my iPhone 5 and just use a iPad Mini 4G. I wonder if Skype would sound better.
Try Line2.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:00 PM   #33
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
Try Line2.
I would rather stick to something free. Does Skype use my cell minutes on the iPhone 5?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:33 PM   #34
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I would rather stick to something free. Does Skype use my cell minutes on the iPhone 5?
For free, try Vonage for a good reputation for call quality. You can only make outgoing calls to non Vonage #'s ... but like I said, it's free ...

I'm happy with Google Voice/Talkatone, but it's certainly not perfect. Sometimes the call quality is pretty poor for no apparent reason -- and sometimes it doesn't ring, or I can't pick-up even if it does ring. But I do always get get multiple notifications across ALL my computers, iDevices, and Nexus 7 indicating the call and the message left. It's just a matter of returning the call on your part, by whatever means seems best at the time.
knucklehead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:49 PM   #35
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
For free, try Vonage for a good reputation for call quality. You can only make outgoing calls to non Vonage #'s ... but like I said, it's free ...

I'm happy with Google Voice/Talkatone, but it's certainly not perfect. Sometimes the call quality is pretty poor for no apparent reason -- and sometimes it doesn't ring, or I can't pick-up even if it does ring. But I do always get get multiple notifications across ALL my computers, iDevices, and Nexus 7 indicating the call and the message left. It's just a matter of returning the call on your part, by whatever means seems best at the time.
How does Skype work overall, does it burn my cell minutes or work over data? I find its clearer and better quality.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:51 PM   #36
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You say you want something free, but you're trying to use Skype to make calls.

Unless everyone you will ever need to talk to is on Skype, they require you to buy Skype credit or a subscription, plus you'll need to buy a Skype online number if you want to receive calls.

If the free version of Line2 doesn't meet your needs, they offer a 7 day free trial of the paid subscription.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:53 PM   #37
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
You say you want something free, but you're trying to use Skype to make calls.

Unless everyone you will ever need to talk to is on Skype, they require you to buy Skype credit or a subscription, plus you'll need to buy a Skype online number if you want to receive calls.

If the free version of Line2 doesn't meet your needs, they offer a 7 day free trial of the paid subscription.
I have Skype and I have an associated number with it. I also pay $3/mo. for unlimited calls.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:09 PM   #38
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How does Skype work overall, does it burn my cell minutes or work over data? I find its clearer and better quality.
I haven't used Skype, so I can't say much about that ... I'm pretty certain it only uses data.

For myself, I use a cheap dumb phone that costs me close to nothing per year, along with the VOIP options already discussed, and it works fine for me. It might not be as suitable for someone who wants, or needs to be 100% instantly accessible by phone. Jut play around with the no cost options a bit, and see how it suits you.

Edit: I'll just add, that usually, the call quality using Talkatone is quite good.

Last edited by knucklehead; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
knucklehead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:48 PM   #39
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have Skype and I have an associated number with it. I also pay $3/mo. for unlimited calls.
With Skype, it's $3/month for service plus $60 per year for a phone number that doesn't receive text messages. That's $8 per month.

For $2 more, Line2 has real unlimited text and calling.

Others have mentioned google voice plus talkatone, but that's not free. You get to make a phone call, and they get to collect data.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:17 PM   #40
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
With Skype, it's $3/month for service plus $60 per year for a phone number that doesn't receive text messages. That's $8 per month.

For $2 more, Line2 has real unlimited text and calling.

Others have mentioned google voice plus talkatone, but that's not free. You get to make a phone call, and they get to collect data.
How is the Line2 quality?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:08 AM   #41
sdsvtdriver
macrumors 6502a

magicjack? $20 a year for the device (that you don't use). use the app instead.
sdsvtdriver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:43 AM   #42
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHirsch999 View Post
This is what I did for a while when I first got my iPad prior to getting an iPhone, although I did have an old POS flip phone on a PAYG account for calls but no texting. I may go back to it once a retina mini comes out. One question I have though is - is it possible to have my iPhone 4s on a PAYG account without data once my current contract expires? If so I would likely keep it as my primary phone and use the mini for everything else. Before anyone say anything about just keeping the iPhone with data, there is a massive savings in money doing it the other way, something like $40-50/month with the few calls I make.
look into straight talk. Its unlimited text and voice with a soft cap of 2 gbs.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:35 AM   #43
cardfan
macrumors regular

I still don't want a BT headset. And then there's the times you can't use your ipad to answer or make calls or look like a dork doing it.

What's needed is sort of like a mobile phone like device that will link to your ipad. Maybe there's something better, but how about an ipod touch? Leave your ipad hotspot on or maybe BT works better. I've heard the hotspot function on an ipad doesn't impact battery much.

With your Skype app on both devices, you can use either one for calls. The only caveat is you have to be in range of your ipad.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:38 AM   #44
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How is the Line2 quality?
I've used it for three months, and its been excellent on iPhone and iPad.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:26 AM   #45
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Has anyone used Skype with the iPad Mini? I have the $3/mo. Unlimited USA plan and when I used it on my iPhone 5 it worked and sounded much better than Talkatone.

How many still use a dumb phone plus their iPad Mini? I'm still debating whether or not I should do that.
dinosaur1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:14 PM   #46
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

What basic phone should I get that doesn't look too outdated with AT&T? I just need it for voice. iPad mini 4G for data.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:47 PM   #47
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Or what Bluetooth device should I get. I have a jabra bt500. It says its not supported.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:31 PM   #48
marcperrot
macrumors member

I just signed up for Line2 after hearing good things. I have my work number on my iPhone, and personal on Line2. When I go travelling again I'm just going to use the Line2 account and get an iPad data plan where available for my calling and texting needs, and swap the nano sim between my iPhone and iPad.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:32 PM   #49
dinosaur1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcperrot View Post
I just signed up for Line2 after hearing good things. I have my work number on my iPhone, and personal on Line2. When I go travelling again I'm just going to use the Line2 account and get an iPad data plan where available for my calling and texting needs, and swap the nano sim between my iPhone and iPad.
$10 month is too steep
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:38 PM   #50
marcperrot
macrumors member

Quote:
$10 month is too steep
It's a lot better than $50/m to get it on contract, and I liked the features offered by Line2. You must be really hard up if $10/m is breaking the bank. I value the services, and don't mind paying for them and the convenience provided by Line2.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad