Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:13 PM   #276
Oletros
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
I would agree - though using the transparent touch-screen example may be a little premature. Until Samsung's iteration is installed in homes across America, I'll hold off on proclaiming them innovative in that area seeing as they haven't yet done anything DuPont or the others who came up with this tech hadn't already done.

----------



Doesn't mean Planar didn't say - "This is what we want built, and here's how to do it." - much like Apple does with their A# chips.

Samsung has extremely vast manufacturing infrastructure. They may have made the display, but that doesn't mean they designed it or any of the tech in it for that matter.
Ah, for you only one side is wrong, the one that say that Apple doesn't innovative
Oletros is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:13 PM   #277
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentS View Post
Planar already has developed a transparent display.....

Come on, you can come up with at least one! Come on, dude!! Try harder!!






PS - Planar to sue Samsung soon?
Obvious fact: TrentS doesn't read threads. Only select posts. Because if he read full threads - he wouldn't have posted this silly comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
I would agree - though using the transparent touch-screen example may be a little premature. Until Samsung's iteration is installed in homes across America, I'll hold off on proclaiming them innovative in that area seeing as they haven't yet done anything DuPont or the others who came up with this tech hadn't already done.

----------



Doesn't mean Planar didn't say - "This is what we want built, and here's how to do it." - much like Apple does with their A# chips.

Samsung has extremely vast manufacturing infrastructure. They may have made the display, but that doesn't mean they designed it or any of the tech in it for that matter.
So it's only innovative if it's used? And used a lot?

And WOW can you just rationalize anything - can't you.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:17 PM   #278
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030
 
Mattie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
If that building would have been built by Samsung, it would have been plastic.
Your response is funny because you contradict yourself and then have that jab at the end which automatically releases all credibility from this conversation. Samsung construction is one of the most well respected companies in terms of contracting thats why they have worked on some of the tallest building in the world. Samsung also builds warships too. Samsung has been doing construction and shipbuilding as well as electronics before Apples founders parents were even born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_C%26T_Corporation
__________________
I like Apple stuff but, I am not in the Apple cult.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:17 PM   #279
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

DRAM - 40.4 % market share (leader)
NAND flash - 40.4 % market share (leader)
Large LCDs - 26.0 % market share (leader)
Active Matrix OLEDs - 97 % markert share (leader)
Lithium Ion batteries - 18.7 % market share (2nd)
All Televisions -17.2 % market share (leader)
Mobile phones - 25 % market share (leader)

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

Several people on here underestimate Samsung... they spend more on R&D than apple, are granted more patents than Apple, and are gaining more market share than Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ent_recipients

For those of you arguing the US company vs. Korean company thing, think about it for a second. What has Apple done for you and the US economy? They paid 3% of their revenue in taxes to the US government despite the US market being their biggest! What's the use when all of that money is locked into foreign accounts... its like the Facebook founder who delisted his US citizenship to keep his fortune. They do not care about you or the US economy so stop protecting them with your patriotism! All the REAL Apple US jobs are outsourced to China, in the meantime, the Korean company Samsung is looking to expand it's business in Texas and San Jose. Please don't bring in the US pride thing into allegiance-less nation-less multinational companies that only want the greens in your pockets. On top of that, Samsung hires and creates jobs for many of the korean people, they build research centers and factories all over South Korea, and give jobs to thousands of people in it's country. Although they have scandals and improper practices, the benefits to Korea and its people are tremendous. Is Apple doing the same in its home country ? I don't think so, they just employ thousands of Chinese workers, sit on a 100bilion capitalization that is used for NOTHING and congratulate themselves and shareholders that a bubble stock is going up at wall street.
McDonald's sells more food than El Bulli. In fact, they sell more food than all restaurants with >=3 Michelin stars combined. Britney Spears sells more albums than Maria Callas. In fact, she sells more albums than all classical singers combined.

That does not make Britney Spears a really good singer nor McDonald's a really good restaurant.

Oh, and citing Wikipedia pages does not make you an expert either.
__________________
How's the smut business, Jackie?
27" iMac i7 | 13" MBA 3rd Gen 128 SSD | iPad 3 64Gb | iPhone 4 32Gb | iPhone 4s 32Gb | AppleTV 2nd Gen | AppleTV 3rd Gen | iPod Classic 120Gb | iPod Nano 8Gb
JackieTreehorn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:19 PM   #280
steve119
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scotland, land of the haggis
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

DRAM - 40.4 % market share (leader)
NAND flash - 40.4 % market share (leader)
Large LCDs - 26.0 % market share (leader)
Active Matrix OLEDs - 97 % markert share (leader)
Lithium Ion batteries - 18.7 % market share (2nd)
All Televisions -17.2 % market share (leader)
Mobile phones - 25 % market share (leader)

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

Several people on here underestimate Samsung... they spend more on R&D than apple, are granted more patents than Apple, and are gaining more market share than Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ent_recipients

For those of you arguing the US company vs. Korean company thing, think about it for a second. What has Apple done for you and the US economy? They paid 3% of their revenue in taxes to the US government despite the US market being their biggest! What's the use when all of that money is locked into foreign accounts... its like the Facebook founder who delisted his US citizenship to keep his fortune. They do not care about you or the US economy so stop protecting them with your patriotism! All the REAL Apple US jobs are outsourced to China, in the meantime, the Korean company Samsung is looking to expand it's business in Texas and San Jose. Please don't bring in the US pride thing into allegiance-less nation-less multinational companies that only want the greens in your pockets. On top of that, Samsung hires and creates jobs for many of the korean people, they build research centers and factories all over South Korea, and give jobs to thousands of people in it's country. Although they have scandals and improper practices, the benefits to Korea and its people are tremendous. Is Apple doing the same in its home country ? I don't think so, they just employ thousands of Chinese workers, sit on a 100bilion capitalization that is used for NOTHING and congratulate themselves and shareholders that a bubble stock is going up at wall street.
^^^sponsored by Samsung.
steve119 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:20 PM   #281
chagla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

DRAM - 40.4 % market share (leader)
NAND flash - 40.4 % market share (leader)
Large LCDs - 26.0 % market share (leader)
Active Matrix OLEDs - 97 % markert share (leader)
Lithium Ion batteries - 18.7 % market share (2nd)
All Televisions -17.2 % market share (leader)
Mobile phones - 25 % market share (leader)

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

Several people on here underestimate Samsung... they spend more on R&D than apple, are granted more patents than Apple, and are gaining more market share than Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ent_recipients

For those of you arguing the US company vs. Korean company thing, think about it for a second. What has Apple done for you and the US economy? They paid 3% of their revenue in taxes to the US government despite the US market being their biggest! What's the use when all of that money is locked into foreign accounts... its like the Facebook founder who delisted his US citizenship to keep his fortune. They do not care about you or the US economy so stop protecting them with your patriotism! All the REAL Apple US jobs are outsourced to China, in the meantime, the Korean company Samsung is looking to expand it's business in Texas and San Jose. Please don't bring in the US pride thing into allegiance-less nation-less multinational companies that only want the greens in your pockets. On top of that, Samsung hires and creates jobs for many of the korean people, they build research centers and factories all over South Korea, and give jobs to thousands of people in it's country. Although they have scandals and improper practices, the benefits to Korea and its people are tremendous. Is Apple doing the same in its home country ? I don't think so, they just employ thousands of Chinese workers, sit on a 100bilion capitalization that is used for NOTHING and congratulate themselves and shareholders that a bubble stock is going up at wall street.
too much truth in this post. kudos to you sir.
__________________
Really cool Android apps: <> gesture search <> airdroid <> drivedroid <> unified remote <> swype <> mightytext <>
Highly useful/enhance your Android experience.
chagla is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:21 PM   #282
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
McDonald's sells more food than El Bulli. In fact, they sell more food than all restaurants with >=3 Michelin stars combined. Britney Spears sells more albums than Maria Callas. In fact, she sells more albums than all classical singers combined.

That does not make Britney Spears a really good singer nor McDonald's a really good restaurant.

Oh, and citing Wikipedia pages does not make you an expert either.
Does your thinking apply to iPhones?
__________________
2012 Macbook Pro
iPad 4, HTC M8
sc4rf4c3 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:23 PM   #283
chagla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve119 View Post
^^^sponsored by Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
McDonald's sells more food than El Bulli. In fact, they sell more food than all restaurants with >=3 Michelin stars combined. Britney Spears sells more albums than Maria Callas. In fact, she sells more albums than all classical singers combined.

That does not make Britney Spears a really good singer nor McDonald's a really good restaurant.

Oh, and citing Wikipedia pages does not make you an expert either.
can you address his questions without mocking?
__________________
Really cool Android apps: <> gesture search <> airdroid <> drivedroid <> unified remote <> swype <> mightytext <>
Highly useful/enhance your Android experience.
chagla is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:24 PM   #284
knightryda12
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
McDonald's sells more food than El Bulli. In fact, they sell more food than all restaurants with >=3 Michelin stars combined. Britney Spears sells more albums than Maria Callas. In fact, she sells more albums than all classical singers combined.

That does not make Britney Spears a really good singer nor McDonald's a really good restaurant.

Oh, and citing Wikipedia pages does not make you an expert either.
What is your point? See the bottom of the wikipedia page for sources... I never touted to be an expert so again what is your point? Did you refute my argument that they are market leaders in several electronic fields? This was in response to the original statement that they are not the leader in anything. McDonalds is the leader in the FAST food market... which is the same as Samsung in those respective fields. Your argument is irrelevant..
knightryda12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:28 PM   #285
steve119
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scotland, land of the haggis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagla View Post
can you address his questions without mocking?
No, and heres why, he's come to an apple forum to rubbish a brand that has loyal followers, I'm totally with free speech, but if he wants to antagonise a hornets nest then allow him to be stung.
steve119 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:29 PM   #286
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
McDonald's sells more food than El Bulli. In fact, they sell more food than all restaurants with >=3 Michelin stars combined. Britney Spears sells more albums than Maria Callas. In fact, she sells more albums than all classical singers combined.

That does not make Britney Spears a really good singer nor McDonald's a really good restaurant.

Oh, and citing Wikipedia pages does not make you an expert either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4rf4c3 View Post
Does your thinking apply to iPhones?
Exactly. How come this argument only 'applies" when it's about some other company.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:30 PM   #287
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Obvious fact: TrentS doesn't read threads. Only select posts. Because if he read full threads - he wouldn't have posted this silly comment.



So it's only innovative if it's used? And used a lot?

And WOW can you just rationalize anything - can't you.
It's innovative if it fundamentally changes something about our everyday lives - which, ya I guess needs to be used a lot....

Not sure where the rationalizing comment comes from - I can refute arguments with fact if that's what you're getting at.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:31 PM   #288
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
It's innovative if it fundamentally changes something about our everyday lives - which, ya I guess needs to be used a lot....

Not sure where the rationalizing comment comes from - I can refute arguments with fact if that's what you're getting at.
There are a ton of innovations every day that never get adopted. Doesn't make them less innovative. I don't think you understand what innovative means.

And of course you can't see how you rationalize everything. But to suggest you do so with facts is just plain silly. It's as if you think we can't see your posts or post history

Last edited by dejo; Nov 14, 2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:32 PM   #289
shartypants
macrumors 6502a
 
shartypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
It's interesting that the image on the Samsung phone is a weed trying to propagate itself
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", iPad 4, iPhone 6
Love this new game!: Strategic Leap
shartypants is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:33 PM   #290
Oletros
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
It's innovative if it fundamentally changes something about our everyday lives - which, ya I guess needs to be used a lot....
Any example of that?
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:35 PM   #291
macfacts
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
I know, right? Apple's shameless ripoff of this thing was so blatantly obvious.

Image

No one is saying the Creative nomad looks like the iPod.

Apple copied the way you select and play music. Before, music players let you select next or back to play a song (rwd and fwd only). The creative player let you go up and down folders/playlists to select a song to play.

Apple COPIED Creative and a court made Apple PAY Creative for copying.

Apple copies lots but only pays when the other guy is a big company too. Apple loves to step on the little guys and copy them. (example, wifi sync icon and idea)
macfacts is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:42 PM   #292
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Exactly. How come this argument only 'applies" when it's about some other company.
But see - the problem with all of this is, in the case of McDonald's being good food, the case of Britney Spears being a good singer and the case of the iPhone being a good phone - THEY. ARE. ALL. SUBJECTIVE.

To many people, Britney Spears is an amazing singer. To others (myself included) she's just another pop-star, of which there are dozens. To some, McDonald's is great (though not great for you). To others, its cheap fast food.

The fact remains just because YOU think McDonald's sucks, doesn't mean you have the right to assume I think McDonald's sucks. The same applies to phones. I just find it fascinating that people who buy Android feel this overwhelming need to tell the world how amazing their phone is and how its FAR SUPERIOR to an iPhone. Just look at Samsung's marketing strategy. It's all about how its better than the iPhone. Well I'm happy Samsung feels that way - and I'm absolutely giddy that you love your Note II. But what I take offense to is Samsung (or you) telling me I'm an idiot for having an iPhone - that Apple is so evil and I'm mindless for not realizing what an awful, litigious corporate monster they are.

All these sales numbers say is that the iPhone is popular. And for someone to deny that the current smartphone revolution was started by Apple's introduction of the first iPhone is purely adamant denial.

The truth is, both of these companies WANT the legal battles. If either really had an intention of settling (one way or another) they would. All the publicity both get from being locked in battle with each other only serves to draw customers to their products. Look at what it's done even here - you have thread after thread with post after post vehemently defending one or the other. They created a passion around their products (something I don't necessarily understand - I like my Apple products because of the way they work and I'm open to trying other products and have). These extremely public legal proceedings only serve to further that narrative.

Lastly, and I'm sure I'll take heat from Samsung's loyal on this one: Samsung LOVES Apple's legal attention on them. They know it means Apple sees them as equals - and for a while Apple was the big player. They wouldn't settle for the world - settling wouldn't get them all this free publicity.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:45 PM   #293
macfacts
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
You do know Apple is a software company first so by default that is where their patent concentration would be...it's not like this is news. This has been the case for over 30 years.
You do know even Apple's own employees say Software patents are stupid and no one should be able to own them.

From a NYT article:

an engineer, an Apple veteran, spoke up. “I would like to decline to participate,” he said, according to the lawyer who was at the meeting. The engineer explained that he didn’t believe companies should be allowed to own basic software concepts.
IMO, patents on things you can touch are good, software patents are just ideas, dreams, a dime a dozen.
macfacts is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:46 PM   #294
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Any example of that?
The iPhone. Before it, PDAs were for businessmen and -women and the super geeky.

Now infants are playing Temple Run on them and everyone has a smartphone. I know one could argue the smartphone revolution could've happened without the iPhone - and it probably could have. But dealing in "what-ifs" is fantasy.

The fact is, when the iPhone came along it brought with it the idea that anyone could carry around a personal computer their pockets. AND that everyone should WANT to carry a personal computer around in their pockets.

None of the above statement says anything about who's the best, or that Android sucks. Simply the iPhone was the innovation that has subsequently led to hundreds of millions of people owning smartphones in a matter of 5 years.

EDIT: I want to point out that an innovation like the iPhone could only have been brought about by other innovations coming together. The rumors are Jobs had the idea for something like the iPhone back in the 80s but didn't have the proper technology to successfully implement it. For instance - Samsung is at the forefront of processor manufacturing. Their innovations in developing smaller chips lead to others who develop even smaller chips (TSMC) and back and forth it goes.

Generally, companies/people who design products are the ones who are called innovative - even though it requires smaller technological advances (or innovations) to make those designs work.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)

Last edited by jrswizzle; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
jrswizzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:51 PM   #295
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post

The fact remains just because YOU think McDonald's sucks, doesn't mean you have the right to assume I think McDonald's sucks. The same applies to phones. I just find it fascinating that people who buy Android feel this overwhelming need to tell the world how amazing their phone is and how its FAR SUPERIOR to an iPhone. Just look at Samsung's marketing strategy. It's all about how its better than the iPhone. Well I'm happy Samsung feels that way - and I'm absolutely giddy that you love your Note II. But what I take offense to is Samsung (or you) telling me I'm an idiot for having an iPhone - that Apple is so evil and I'm mindless for not realizing what an awful, litigious corporate monster they are.
Again - pot meet kettle.

Apple engages in the same behavior. In fact they got in trouble in the UK for doing it. They do it often at keynotes. They even highlighted their competition when comparing the iPad mini.

You adore Apple (which is great) but they might just be more clever at hiding their disdain for the competition. They also treat their own customers with marginal respect. We can derail this conversation further if you'd like on how Apple does that too.

I have never said which phone is better. I don't believe you can quantify that. I have ALWAYS said it's subjective. To each their own. And I personally don't give a rat's behind what anyone other than myself uses because it's not my problem. But like you - don't tell me that I'm settling for an inferior product or that your OS is better. Especially when I use the same products you do as well. Or worse - accuse me of being some hater, paid samsung troll or whatever just because I don't agree with you. And by "you" I mean the general you - not YOU.

But again - back to topic - Samsung has no reason to settle with Apple. They (at this point) have everything to gain. Settling would be stupid. I can't imagine anyone (even the most ardent Apple loyalists) arguing that Samsung's smartest business move would be to settle.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:52 PM   #296
Oletros
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
The iPhone. Before it, PDAs were for businessmen and -women and the super geeky.

Now infants are playing Temple Run on them and everyone has a smartphone. I know one could argue the smartphone revolution could've happened without the iPhone - and it probably could have. But dealing in "what-ifs" is fantasy.
I was betting that you would say the iPhone

At least you can be honest and assume that you only see innovation in one side and that you try to bash any other companies.
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:54 PM   #297
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
I was betting that you would say the iPhone

At least you can be honest and assume that you only see innovation in one side and that you try to bash any other companies.
You said give one example so I did. You could also go back and read the rest of the post.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:58 PM   #298
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
I just find it fascinating that people who buy Android feel this overwhelming need to tell the world how amazing their phone is and how its FAR SUPERIOR to an iPhone. Just look at Samsung's marketing strategy. It's all about how its better than the iPhone. Well I'm happy Samsung feels that way - and I'm absolutely giddy that you love your Note II. But what I take offense to is Samsung (or you) telling me I'm an idiot for having an iPhone - that Apple is so evil and I'm mindless for not realizing what an awful, litigious corporate monster they are.
Don't you think your argument goes both ways. There are Apple fanboys that degrade Android users. Remember when Instagram became available to Android, did you read the comments on Twitter from iOS users? Why do you take offense on commercials or advertisements? Are you that sensitive?
__________________
2012 Macbook Pro
iPad 4, HTC M8
sc4rf4c3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:05 PM   #299
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Again - pot meet kettle.

Apple engages in the same behavior. In fact they got in trouble in the UK for doing it. (1)They do it often at keynotes. They even highlighted their competition when comparing the iPad mini.

You adore Apple (which is great) but they might just be more clever at hiding their disdain for the competition. (2)They also treat their own customers with marginal respect. We can derail this conversation further if you'd like on how Apple does that too.

I have never said which phone is better. I don't believe you can quantify that. I have ALWAYS said it's subjective. To each their own. And I personally don't give a rat's behind what anyone other than myself uses because it's not my problem. (3)But like you - don't tell me that I'm settling for an inferior product or that your OS is better. Especially when I use the same products you do as well. Or worse - accuse me of being some hater, paid samsung troll or whatever just because I don't agree with you. And by "you" I mean the general you - not YOU.

(4)But again - back to topic - Samsung has no reason to settle with Apple. They (at this point) have everything to gain. Settling would be stupid. I can't imagine anyone (even the most ardent Apple loyalists) arguing that Samsung's smartest business move would be to settle.
(1) Actually - the comparison to the N7 was an aberration. I was shocked they spent so much time comparing the mini to it. The "I'm a Mac; I'm a PC" commercials are a better example - though I think you'd agree the "PC" in those commercials was more of a "I can't help my faults" type thing. Whereas the Samsung commercials portray Apple users as "too stupid to understand".

(2) I've always experienced excellent customer service when needing a problem resolved by Apple. I've had devices swaped out for free (even though the damage was my fault), I've had fees waived and my wife was even given complementary AppleCare+. If you're referring to all the "-gates", I've never really been affected by them so I guess I'm the wrong person to talk to. I experience bugs with most every piece of technology I own (this work Dell laptop is slower than hell, my brand new Xbox360 has sputters, my internet connection at home goes down occasionally, and apps on my iPhone crash sometimes). I'm not of the mindset Apple is out to screw it's consumer base. If that makes me naive in your eyes, so be it. I also don't "adore" Apple. I just like their products. It's a piece of technology, not my dog or a member of my family.

(3) Sure I get that. I suspect you and I are a lot alike - we're just on opposite sides of this particular issue. Samsung ticks me off with the commercials and advertising more than anything. I couldn't care less if they copied Apple or not or if Apple and Samsung decide to litigate until the cows come home.

(4)I guess I wrote that in a post to a different user - but I agree. I actually think they both WANT the legal battles. Samsung has since risen to a level higher than even Apple partially due to Apple's recognition that Samsung was a threat through these legal proceedings. I'm not a patent expert and I have no idea if Samsung ACTUALLY copied Apple's PATENTS. I do know the iPhone was the catalyst for today's smartphone boom - and if Apple (or Samsung or anyone else) has patents and they feel those ideas are being threatened, I don't have any problem with them suing the pants off each other. Its not my money.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:10 PM   #300
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
clipped
We might not agree on everything - but I respect your opinion. Even if it's wrong I am TOTALLY kidding, of course.

Some people, it seems, just like to argue. For example - on another thread people are pissed off that Samsung raised chip prices. Then it was revealed that they never did. Yet the same people are still pissed off.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple and Samsung Fail to Reach Deal Over Patent Issues in Recent Mediation Meeting MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 29 Feb 17, 2014 07:37 AM
Apple and Samsung File List of Patent Claims and Accused Products Ahead of Second U.S. Patent Lawsuit MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 41 Feb 6, 2014 05:58 AM
Judge Invalidates Two Samsung Patent Claims Ahead of Second Patent Lawsuit with Apple MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 60 Jan 23, 2014 02:31 PM
Apple and Samsung Said to Resume Settlement Talks Over Patent Dispute MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 55 Jan 7, 2014 03:02 PM
UK Judge Who Chastised Apple Over Samsung 'Apology' Now Consulting as Patent Expert for Samsung MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 253 Mar 9, 2013 08:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC