Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
---------The Short and Sweet of it---------
OK, here's the info I have to find my phone:

I had a AT&T GoPhone plan, but I bought the phone second hand and had no data.

The phone is passcode locked and a lock is pending via iCloud, though likely the phone has been wiped.

I had never synced the phone with my mac, but I had used it as a remote. Would my mac contain any IMEI or Serial for the phone because of this?

AT&T says they can't release the IMEI to me. Would they even have my IMEI since I only bought the SIM from them? I had a contract with them last year, but again, I did not acquire the phone from them...

Thanks

------The rest of the story-------
Several months ago, I came to the boards to ask about my stolen MacBook Air. It led to a lot of back-and-forth between the suspect and eventually a civil case where I'm awaiting a settlement which was supported by evidence such as craigslist ads, texts, dupe phone calls I made to the suspect and such.

The other day was a little more interesting.

There was a man that was repeatedly robbing convenience stores in the area. I typically hang around one such store and saw a man acting suspicious (more-so than the typical crack bum). I took notice of his shoes and face (more easy for me to recognize shoes and feet, whereas clothes are typically changed often).

The next morning I walk into the store and see a picture of a man on security cam with the same shoes, jackets, and face. I was told he jumped the counter and took cases of cigarettes and had been doing so regularly. From there, I made certain I kept an eye out. However, this suddenly became a personal matter.

I visited the store regularly, as I do, until a week later. I am leaving the store, iPhone in hand, and as I round the corner of the store out of view of cameras, there he is. It was hard to miss since he had a 3cm fishing knife raised with one hand and the other wrapped around my hand with my phone. I wrestled with both hands for it, but was just caught off guard and he made away with it.
I chased him across the street for several blocks but he was just TOO fast. (He's 6-foot tall, that's a lot of feet) I turned and asked somebody approaching if I could use their phone to call the police. Instead he drew a dark service revolver and pointed it at my face, demanding "the money". I simply said, "dude, he just got my money!" He asked "where they at?" I pointed and he simply continued on his way, placing the gun back in his dark wind breaker.
Once the second robber passed, I ran across the street and tried to flag down a police car, that simply passed by with a "**** that b*******" stare. Another officer was not far behind, as they tend to ride in pairs here, so I stood in the center of the street and he pulled over. I filed a report and left it at that.

Hours later, when I recalled that there were rewards for this man's arrest, I was on the street with copies of the man's security camera shots from several convenience stores. I had left copies with the management at a drug store as I was headed back down the path I chased the man last night. He was approaching in the opposite direction with the same clothes and hadn't recognized me since I had drastically changed my clothing.
I followed the man for several blocks, until he got nervous and took off at full sprint. Once he turned a particular street, I fell back knowing that the situation would soon be resolved. He was headed to the intersection at which I had passed out his photo.

I waited on the street where I fell back for fifteen-minutes or less, when I saw police cruisers rushing down the main road. I casually walked around the corner and saw four cars parked outside of the drug store. Minutes later I was detained and questioned, then given a ride to the department to speak with a detective. The detective informed me that he had been captured with my efforts, but due to the fact that I was the complainant in a case, I was not eligible for any reward. (However, the manager of the store has offered some juicy kick-backs. A free breakfast is better than no breakfast. Hah)

The thief admitted to the crime and stated that he sold the phone shortly after taking it for $30. The detective assured me that with his history, he would certainly be looking at prison. Having been through the system for a felony myself, I felt some sort of vengeful satisfaction when he mentioned that he would be charged as well with "Aggravated Robbery-Felony 1".

And now, I'm in the process of tracking my phone...

Picture1.jpg

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
It's not there.

When I lost my MacBook, Apple Tech Support assured me that signing into my phone with my Apple ID (when setting up in iOS5+) would register such data...

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
*sigh* nope. Bought it second hand...

Would AT&T even KNOW my IMEI since I never had it on contract, just had a GoPhone SIM?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
*sigh* nope. Bought it second hand...

Would AT&T even KNOW my IMEI since I never had it on contract, just had a GoPhone SIM?

Yes, your IMEI is verified with your network every time you turn your phone on. They have the information for sure.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Thing is, my account hadn't had a password set up AND I used a fake name (one of the perks of GoPhone). So how would I go about acquiring this with the help of law enforcement?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Thing is, my account hadn't had a password set up AND I used a fake name (one of the perks of GoPhone). So how would I go about acquiring this with the help of law enforcement?

It doesn't matter, they still have that information, it's vital to the function of the phone network that they do. I'm guessing the reason they're not giving it to you is that they can't verify your identity, and I'm afraid there's probably very little you can do about that.

Where did you purchase the phone second hand? Are you still in contact with the seller? Try asking them. If they retained the receipt or box they should have the IMEI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.