Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:35 AM   #1
activate
macrumors regular

FCP training

Hey,

I am interested in understanding the ins and outs of FCP and motion. Is the best option to attend a apple training centre course or are there other options.

Thanks.
activate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:14 AM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502

Again, lack of information.......What version of FCP???????????? and Motion????????
daybreak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Photoshopper
macrumors regular

His training is not inexpensive, but it seems to be among the most knowledgable, comprehensive and constantly updated available:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/

video/webinars/free tutorials/forum, etc. for all versions of FCP and also Adobe AE.
Photoshopper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:07 AM   #4
WigWag Workshop
macrumors member

I recommend Ripple Training, If you look in iTunes for MacBreak Studio, they have a lot of training stuff for free. I used this one, http://www.rippletraining.com/catego...apvs-fcpx.html - and found it the easiest to follow-along with. I tried Lynda.com and Larry Jordan's training, and I personally did not like them has much. This is just my opinion, but Ripple training is what worked for me.
WigWag Workshop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
daybreak
macrumors 6502

I found a wonderful sight for getting the feel of any software free of charge.
"YouTube". Before i indulge of paying. These so called tutorial companies only skip the basic element. They are o.k.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:27 PM   #6
activate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
I found a wonderful sight for getting the feel of any software free of charge.
"YouTube". Before i indulge of paying. These so called tutorial companies only skip the basic element. They are o.k.
Yes, this is where I started and I thought, I need to obtain something more structured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigWag Workshop View Post
I recommend Ripple Training, If you look in iTunes for MacBreak Studio, they have a lot of training stuff for free. I used this one, http://www.rippletraining.com/catego...apvs-fcpx.html - and found it the easiest to follow-along with. I tried Lynda.com and Larry Jordan's training, and I personally did not like them has much. This is just my opinion, but Ripple training is what worked for me.
Thanks, I'll definitely give this a go. I also did find Lynda.com, wasn't sure how that compared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoshopper View Post
His training is not inexpensive, but it seems to be among the most knowledgable, comprehensive and constantly updated available:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/

video/webinars/free tutorials/forum, etc. for all versions of FCP and also Adobe AE.
Thanks, I'll have a look at it and then choose one so I can focus

I was looking at apple's certified training but couldn't even get to find out the cost. I guess perhaps, there maybe some advantages have their certification as far as freelance work is concerned.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

OP please specify what version of Final Cut.
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:02 PM   #8
activate
macrumors regular

Well I have no idea. In other words, I am assuming the latest version ie. 10.6 is what I see in the app store.

I imagine I would use this if I am learning from scratch. Are the previous versions relevant for different scenarios.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 PM   #9
activate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigWag Workshop View Post
Ripple training is pretty good for getting a hang on things...understanding the basics.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Okay so you're talking Final Cut X 10.0.6. Honestly I'd watch a lot of MacBreak Studio YouTube videos but mostly just spend LOTS of time in the program and you will learn how to use every feature in it. It will take a least 1,000 hours of experience to be a capable editor in a wide variety of situations using Final Cut Pro X, so start now!
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:56 PM   #11
activate
macrumors regular

Macbreak is on the iPad, I am on the mac....off we go
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:00 AM   #12
daybreak
macrumors 6502

And so our FCP person rides of to the sunset. A bit of information would have helped if you use FCP or doing any video editing, or use iMovie which is now a good platform to start and learn.
Good luck.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:13 AM   #13
activate
macrumors regular

lol...

Have never used FCP before. Have played around with iMovie. There isn't much more to tell other than I want to learn it and get good at it which is why I was contemplating taking a formal course. So far I've just been helping friends with their home made stuff, which is what sparked the interest.

Lets see how it goes. Exciting...also liked what I saw in Motion when I was mucking around with it.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video