Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I was thinking of buying a nexus 10, but then yesterday I realised one thing after the news that the nexus s won't receive 4.2.

The nexus s came with gingerbread and got ice cream sandwich and jelly bean.

My view is that Google released the nexus 10 a few months after the nexus 7 just so it could release it with a new Android version, 4.2. This way, the nexus 10 will receive 5.0 and 5.1, but no more. The nexus 7 has received 4.2 and will receive 5.0.

Now imagine what would have happened if Google had released both the nexus 7 and 10 last summer and had updated both of them to 4.2 and 5.0 and no more. People would have been really mad considering the superior hardware of the nexus 10.

So what could Google do to avoid critics? Release the nexus 10 a few months later with a new Android version, even if it was minimal. This way they add two updates, of which the nexus 7 won't get 5.1, and this way they can “justify“ leaving the nexus 10 without any more updates after.5.1. Google would argue that the nexus 10 already had gotten one more update than the nexus 7, but the truth is it hasn't got it because of superior hardware. It has got it because it came after the nexus 7.

Sounds a little bit crazy, I know :D:D

It's all marketing strategy. What do you guys think? To me this proves, if correct, that Google won't support the nexus 10 for more than 2 updates, no matter how superior it's hardware is.

Last edited:

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I don't know =p the only thing I know is that I'm upset that my Nexus S is not getting 4.2 =/

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The fact that the Nexus S only received 2 updates has no real relevance to how many updates other phones or devices might get. If Google establishes a clear trend, then I think you might have a point, but such a trend doesn't seem evident yet.

Obviously, they'll want people to not shy away from their devices, so I'm guessing they'll tend to keep devices current about as long as Apple does.

----------

I don't know =p the only thing I know is that I'm upset that my Nexus S is not getting 4.2 =/
I just updated my Nexus 7 to 4.2 and it is like having an entirely different device! It is amazing. It is revolutionary. It...

... well, the truth is, there's a reason it's 4.2 and not 5.0. Yes, there's some cool stuff, but really? It's almost exactly the same as 4.1. I feel your pain, but it's not something to worry too much about. :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
The Dev community will keep Nexus devices living beyond what Google are willing to support them.

Unlockable bootloaders are the key to a long nexus life. :D

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Obviously, they'll want people to not shy away from their devices, so I'm guessing they'll tend to keep devices current about as long as Apple does.

Doesn't Apple by rule support their tablets for 2 years? I don't have a problem with that because in 2 years i'm ready to move on to better hardware. :)

What has me most excited, is how well received the Nexus 4/7/10 have been received. The N10 32GB model is sold out and in Europe the N4/N7/N10 are all sold out. Competition is always good for consumers.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Doesn't Apple by rule support their tablets for 2 years? I don't have a problem with that because in 2 years i'm ready to move on to better hardware. :)

What has me most excited, is how well received the Nexus 4/7/10 have been received. The N10 32GB model is sold out and in Europe the N4/N7/N10 are all sold out. Competition is always good for consumers.
Agreed 100%.

It's a good thing to feel as though one has more than a single valid choice.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
The Dev community will keep Nexus devices living beyond what Google are willing to support them.

Unlockable bootloaders are the key to a long nexus life. :D

True. This is one thing Apple can't have. With the dev community the nexus 10 could get two more updates after Google abandons it.

But I find very twisted Google's plan to support the nexus 10 longer than the 7. I'm sure they could have release it last summer along the 7.

By releasing it later they justify leaving the 7 without more updates before, and it also justifies them giving one more update to the 10.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It is the job of Apple and Google to sell hardware. I'm perfectly fine with not getting updates. It's more important that the device is secure and stable than getting all these UI improvements that could make better or break the hardware. I get that there is XDA and they'll be the ones taking over, along with the CM team, but you know, you can't be sitting there for months trying to figure out what's wrong with a device that's already been replaced. It's just wasting time and money, especially when customers are going to move on in a few months anyway. Leaving it to people who like to thinker is sometimes the best thing to do.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I do not understand. Even if Google waited to release the 10 for 5.1 you would still have the same concern. Will it get 5.2 or 6? I have a nexus 7 and am thriller with 4.1 and glad I get 4.2. If it stops there I'm fine with it. I wouldn't want to keep getting is updates that may aging hardware cannot run.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I do not understand. Even if Google waited to release the 10 for 5.1 you would still have the same concern. Will it get 5.2 or 6? I have a nexus 7 and am thriller with 4.1 and glad I get 4.2. If it stops there I'm fine with it. I wouldn't want to keep getting is updates that may aging hardware cannot run.

That's what a lot of people seem to forget. I don't want my tablet crawling because the OS is too demanding on the specs. The good thing though about the Nexus line is that it's a stripped down OS unlike Samsung's TouchWiz UI....belch. :p

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

Be happy you have 4.ANYTHING. My Thunderbolt is limping along on GB with the hope that it even gets ICS. I can't upgrade or root, it's a company-provided phone (why I can't root and upgrade without failure is nearly impossible). This was Verizon's flagship phone when it was released and it's being treated like trash with regards to the update.

IIRC, Google is asking (and has signed agreements from some manufacturers) manufacturers to provide updates to their devices for (I think) 18 months after device release. Here we are, right around 18 months since the TB was dropped and the last update was almost a year ago. Yes it's not Google's problem, but one reason to try to stick with "Nexus" devices, for keeping current with updates.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
But I find very twisted Google's plan to support the nexus 10 longer than the 7. I'm sure they could have release it last summer along the 7.

You've got absolutely *nothing* to base this on. You've got absolutely nothing backing your claim that Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 won't support up to the same version at some point 18-24 months in the future. The Nexus S is 2 years old and prior to 4.2, it was the last fully up to date Nexus device that only had a single core CPU.... the hardware is really dating.

My second point is that Google is releasing the Nexus 10 now because they only just recently finished the hardware development. You seem to be implying that this tablet has been ready for 6 months and they purposely held it back so that they could provide and extra update for the 10 for no other reason than to annoy the owners of the 7?

Even forgetting the above two points the Nexus S is guaranteed to get 4.2 and beyond from the development community.

This whole thread is conspiracy theory rubbish and it's time to remove the tinfoil hat and swallow those pills the doc gave you.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I was reading rumors for sometime about a killer Samsung tablet. When the N10 was announced those rumors came true. Who knows what Google's plans are for the N7 and N10 but in a couple of years i'll be looking forward to something even better. Gotta love technology. :)

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
Nexus S has 512mb of ram. I am surprised it even got jelly bean at all.

BTW 4.2 is not even a big update only difference would be camera features (you really gonna miss that?) and quick settings which is cool but yea

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.