Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChipperVW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I believe Apple has discovered something with the iPad mini. There's more to products than their specs.

Today I visited my local Apple Store and saw the iPad mini in person for the first time. Totally convinced me that I want one. Size is perfect. Screen looks great. Camera looks great. I forgot to try to keyboard, but with voice to text and Siri it might not matter.

Before I was relying solely on the "disappointing specs."

It was impressive. Apple will sell millions, no doubt.

Go see one yourself. You won't be disappointed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think this advice is sound for nearly any product. I waited to see and feel the rMBP in person before ordering it. The mini I bought site unseen, but then I knew I wanted a 7" tablet and if the mini wasn't going to do it, then I could return it but generally seeing the media event I was satisfied that the mini was what I wanted :)

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Saw it in person last week. Size and weight are fantastic.

But that screen. I can say, without any hyperbole whatsoever, reading on that screen is like trying to read through a 2-inch layer of Vaseline mixed with several pounds of builder's sand.

Sorry, spoiled by my iPad 3.

Will wait for retina model next year.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Obviously that is what everyone should do, but you didn't even use the keyboard? Did you just look at from a distant and make that decision?

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I can't understand why people are making such a big deal about reading in portrait mode on the mini. I'm typing on it right now at best buy and it's great!

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

But that screen. I can say, without any hyperbole whatsoever, reading on that screen is like trying to read through a 2-inch layer of Vaseline mixed with several pounds of builder's sand.

No hyperbole, huh? :rolleyes: It's not the best screen out there, but it's far from unusable. I can use hubby's iPad 3 and move to my Mini with no problems at all. Everyone is different, but there's a lot of folks out there that have no problem with the screen. I really hope people do try it themselves and don't just trust other people's opinions. The "low quality" of the screen has been way over-hyped.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

I looked at one last week and didn't think the screen was bad, it's definitely no retina. The colors we're vibrant and the text is better than my 1920x1080 monitor. My problem is with the processor and memory. I remember what my iPhone 4s was like when I installed 80+ apps on it and 10-15 or more we're running in the background. They always run great in the store but how does it work when it's being taxed?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

Oh please! I have an iPad 3 also and the mini screen is nothing like this. If you prefer the iPad that's fine, but saying the mini screen is this bad is simply ridiculous.

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
No hyperbole, huh? :rolleyes: It's not the best screen out there, but it's far from unusable. I can use hubby's iPad 3 and move to my Mini with no problems at all. Everyone is different, but there's a lot of folks out there that have no problem with the screen. I really hope people do try it themselves and don't just trust other people's opinions. The "low quality" of the screen has been way over-hyped.

This.

I very nearly avoided the Mini because of everyone complaining about the screen, it's not even half as bad as some people are making out! And yes, I also have a 4 so I know what retina looks like, and no there is nothing wrong with my eyesight.
Using the mini for a day, I forgot all about the retina display and actually enjoyed using my device - and as I have said in another post, my iPad 4 is sat unused waiting to be sold.

I suggest to everyone that they go see the Mini in store and decide for yourselves whether or not the screen is an issue for you, instead of buying one, deciding you don't like it and then coming straight on here to complain about it - seriously there must be 50 threads on the screen alone!

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
This.

I very nearly avoided the Mini because of everyone complaining about the screen, it's not even half as bad as some people are making out! And yes, I also have a 4 so I know what retina looks like, and no there is nothing wrong with my eyesight.
Using the mini for a day, I forgot all about the retina display and actually enjoyed using my device - and as I have said in another post, my iPad 4 is sat unused waiting to be sold.

I suggest to everyone that they go see the Mini in store and decide for yourselves whether or not the screen is an issue for you, instead of buying one, deciding you don't like it and then coming straight on here to complain about it - seriously there must be 50 threads on the screen alone!
Since your iPad 4 is unused can't you just return it? I assume you meant an iPad 3.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

While the analogy is a tad harsh, it's very, VERY difficult to go from a retina display to the mini - for SOME people. I happen to be one of those people. The mini's display is very, very dated, which is a shame.

Apple is clearly using the mini as a test for what's to come. A retina-display mini will be an insta-buy for me, at any "reasonable" price.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I looked at one last week and didn't think the screen was bad, it's definitely no retina. The colors we're vibrant and the text is better than my 1920x1080 monitor. My problem is with the processor and memory. I remember what my iPhone 4s was like when I installed 80+ apps on it and 10-15 or more we're running in the background. They always run great in the store but how does it work when it's being taxed?

I have well over 100 apps on the device, more like 140 or so. I try and keep only 6 - 8 open at the same time - I mean, what's the point, most load instantaneously and you can't use more than that at any one time (plus you get notifications), but right now I've got 18 apps open (wow!) and I didn't even realise it (there is no noticeable lag).

The processor and memory discussion misses usability and *assumes* to know something sight unseen.

While the analogy is a tad harsh, it's very, VERY difficult to go from a retina display to the mini - for SOME people. I happen to be one of those people. The mini's display is very, very dated, which is a shame.

Apple is clearly using the mini as a test for what's to come. A retina-display mini will be an insta-buy for me, at any "reasonable" price.

One exaggeration traded for another. I don't agree at all, and I mostly think this because the device is more than merely a display (though, that was one criterium I had - "does it display PDFs well?" - which it does!), it's the whole package, the size, the weight, the thinness of it, the beauty, the feel of it. For me, the size was key. Yes, I think the display can be improved, and I look forward to seeing an improved version in an upgrade, but until then, I've got a new device in my hands here with me now that I enjoy daily, a device which is so exciting and lovely I can hardly believe I actually own one!

My question to you is, what if gen 2 doesn't come with a retina screen? Will you *keep* waiting? If so, just how important is form factor (and all the rest of the wonderful that this device offers) to you?

Last edited:

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Got my Mini this past weekend. Couldn't be happier. Is there a difference between the retina display on an iPad 3/4 and the Mini? Yes. Is it THAT substantial? NO!!! I don't get some of these comments about the poor resolution. Go from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4. Now that's a difference. iPad 3/4 to a Mini? Puhleaseeee!

Not only that, if you use your iPad casually for browsing, some games, reading then you'll love the Mini. I use mine more than the iPad just because I can carry it around and do tasks without any issues. With the iPad, I'd have to be stationary when using it. Not anymore.

Bez59

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
I still havent seen one.:(

Every shop i have been to that sells iPads have only got 2nd or 3rd gen's.

I will just have to take a trip to the apple store i guess.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

Talk about hyperbole, do you actually know what the word means?

You "saw it in person"? Was it from 30 feet away and with some cling film wrapped around your head?

You know, you have the right to dislike it, but try and actually be rational and mature about it (and perhaps proof read and consider what you have written in your posts before you hit that "submit reply" button).

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I wanted a mini until I saw it in person.

Nice product and size, but for me the fonts are too small so it's not near as functional or pleasing to use for surfing or reading. I'm not into resizing/zooming every page, my iPad3 suits my needs perfectly.

But, I've only spent 30 minutes with it and when my 4G mini arrives I'll try to adjust during the 14 day return period, if not I'll still be very happy using my full size iPad, the mini wasn't replacing it, just an add-on to satisfy my gadget addiction :)

Edit: After reading the comments here critiquing the screen I expected it to be pretty bad. When I saw it in person the screen was better than I expected it to be. The screen is good, but not excellent like the retina screen. However if you compare a retina screen side by side with the mini the mini's screen looks pretty bad, so owners of retina products may not like it. However if you don't compare to a retina and if you spend a little time using it I think the eyes somehow adjust or whatever, point being after using it for a while the screen seems okay. Just my opinion but hope it helps give an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Got my Mini this past weekend. Couldn't be happier. Is there a difference between the retina display on an iPad 3/4 and the Mini? Yes. Is it THAT substantial? NO!!! I don't get some of these comments about the poor resolution. Go from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4. Now that's a difference. iPad 3/4 to a Mini? Puhleaseeee!

Perfect analogy! It's like going from iPhone 4 back to iPhone 3G.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I find it amazing that for years, all we heard is about how the Mac platform was not about the specs but about usability. For instance you pay a premium for Apple products, they are easy to use, and you get a solid quality product that just works. Everyone that has ever shopped for a PC or laptop knows you can get a whole lot more spec wise for your money vs. buying Apple.

Fast forward to the iPad Mini and now we're just supposed to throw out the usability factor and focus strictly on specs, as if that is the only factor to consider when purchasing a device. That is total rubbish. The screen is but one factor and its far from being the eyesore many like to claim.

The Mini is by far, my favorite Apple product to date... and yes I do have an iPad 3 to compare it to.

My advice is to go to a store and decide for yourself. Don't get hung up on specs only. The iPad Mini isn't a major purchasing decision. If it turns out you prefer the iPad to the mini then get that one. No need to trash a product you have no use for.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Perfect analogy! It's like going from iPhone 4 back to iPhone 3G.

No, for some (I'll admit) it's like going from warm porridge to cold porridge, but some people prefer to use exaggeration and hyperbole and say that it's like going from beluga caviar to rabbit turds (they're the same shape!).

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
After playing with one in the store, the display is not a big issue for me. However, I am really disappointed that a brand new tablet has a 2-year old CPU and is slower and has less memory than my phone. They should have built the A6 and 1GB or RAM into it. The slow browser performance and the constant reloading of web pages is one of the main issues I have with my iPad 2.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
yea i agree that the mini does seem very interesting, but why can't it have good specs too?

I'm waiting for retina with hopefully other hardware upgrades as well.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

Wait, what? I can't read your post on my ipad mini. It's like reading through 2" of Vaseline mixed with pounds of builders sand.

Wait, wait. It's fine. The screen looks great.

Without hyperbole means that the screen literally looks like it has an entire jar of Vaseline and pounds of sand on it. I think you need to research what "hyperbole" means.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
My problem is with the processor and memory. I remember what my iPhone 4s was like when I installed 80+ apps on it and 10-15 or more we're running in the background. They always run great in the store but how does it work when it's being taxed?

Always amazed at these grossly inaccurate comments.

Apps don't run in uncontrolled in background on iOS. There is no such thing as 10-15 running in background. That does NOT slow it down.

Installing 80+ apps does NOT slow it down.

If you run low of free space, that could slow it down some. Not sure why you think your 4S is running slower than at the store. Have you done a side by side comparison with one that doesn't have much on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.