Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:56 PM   #51
roccobladr
macrumors regular

OP I think (for anything in life really) if you really unsure and have to justify it, you probably don't need it.

I am in the same boat but i have a 4S and an 11" Macbook air. Even though the Air is extremely portable and not much bigger than an iPad, there are just some things I think the iPad would do better for me.

For one thing, I think it is great for reading, digital magazines etc. I also do some music production and have been using Garageband on my iphone and macbook air but it would just be nice to have that real estate on the ipad screen.

Things like laying in bed checking your email or something on your laptop can be a little annoying (not like its an issue at all) but would just be more convenient to plop down in bed with the ipad,

If anything I think it just makes some things a little more convenient, but in your case doesn't sound like you really need it at all.

If you are just curious about it (especially since youve tried it 6 times) and have money to burn, why not just get an iPad 2 on sale or a mini for a cheaper price. This way it's not a huge loss if you don't use it much and it's there so you don't have to keep buying and returning them
roccobladr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:57 PM   #52
iMas70
macrumors 6502a

Without reading all of the other posts, I'll add my two cents... I've owned an iPhone since they were first released and purchased on iPad 3 in Sept. Had it for 43 days then returned it (Target - 45 day return policy). I did this because I knew there was going to be a fairly major update. iPad 4 is on it's way to me now!

While I had the iPad, my iPhone was mostly used for calls and some web stuff. If it was in my pocket, it was easy to use. But, I rather grab the iPad. Much bigger and more fun to use. Everything that I would do on my iPhone and more most of the time. Plus, I find myself playing games on it more where I don't do that much on the iPhone. Drawback? I can't watch a full tv show or movie without grabbing the iPad to check mail, FB ect, ect while relaxing comfortably on the couch.

My PC will soon be replaced by a Mac Mini. The home computer got a lot less use when I had the iPad. I can type faster there so if I'll be doing a lot of posting I'll use that or, if there are things that have to be done on the home computer that can't be done on the iPad, it gets used.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #53
mcdj
macrumors 604

I can sell you on both.

iPhone $500
iPad $500

total $1000

cash or charge?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:03 PM   #54
silver8ack
macrumors regular

I just got a MBA and I'm thinking of returning it for an ipad. The MBA isnt comfortable on the couch to me, and I can't read book in bed on it, etc. I have an iMac and I rarely if ever need a 'computer' when I'm out.

Yea I just convinced myself. I can get a new ipad and a Mac mini, couple keyboards and a mouse for the same price as the MBA that has been sitting on my desk next to my iMac for a week. :/
silver8ack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:22 PM   #55
allapon
macrumors regular

My solution is

iPhone for Phone, carry around in your pocket
iPad for Browsing, Facebook, e-Book reading and a little online shopping.
MacBook Aluminum Unibody for Real work and programming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB136110.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	376829  
allapon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:01 PM   #56
accentaudio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by allapon View Post
My solution is

LOL love it!
accentaudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:13 PM   #57
accentaudio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostresshere View Post
Well, excussssssssse those that assumed you returned 6 ipads to the Apple store. Turns out your returned 6 ipads to Best Buy. You still returned to them after breaking the seal and using them. Now somebody has to deal with refurbishing them and reselling them.

This is wrong on so many levels. Every time you do that, you increase the cost of doing business. We all pay for this one way or the other. If I was Best Buy mgmt I would be asking you to take your business elsewhere.

This is just downright wrong.
Agree to disagree. Return policies exist for a reason. Last time I checked I still live in the USA and have the freedom to do as I choose with my money. I don't need you judging me, and to be perfectly honest could care less what you think. It's not your job to decide "what is wrong on so many levels". If it were wrong on so many levels I wouldn't have the ability to do it in the first place. Best Buy is happy to have my business as I spend thousands of dollars a year there. You aren't BB management, and seeing as you would tell someone that spends thousand of dollars a year with them to take their biz elsewhere and not follow store policy, you would be FIRED and I would make sure of it...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #58
quincy164
macrumors newbie

iPad Usage

As a Business Consultant I use my MBA and iPhone extensively in my practice during the work day. My iPad, currently the new Retina model, I use for presentations and note taking in my practice but far more importantly I put the MBA away at the end of the day and my iPad is my device of choice for evening usage for web browsing, email responses, bill paying, iMessaging and reading books in my iBooks library.

In short I find the iPhone too small for book reading and the iPad ideal for that, in addition to the other uses.

Good luck.
quincy164 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:52 PM   #59
Awakener
macrumors 6502

"Please talk me into spending money on something I don't need."

Now this is a first world problem.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:44 PM   #60
Ecoh
macrumors 6502a

I had an iPad before I had an iPhone. If I had an iPhone before the iPad, I am not sure I would have bought an iPad. But having the iPad made me realize how handy it would be to have an iPhone that could be carried in my pocket.

I love reading on my iPad in bed at night, that is about the only thing I do with my iPad that I wouldn't do with my iPhone or MacBook. What I find so nice about the iPad is the portability for around the house , plus I don't have to find my reading glasses which I need to read anything on my iPhone.
Ecoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:02 PM   #61
mac jones
macrumors 68040

I would stop buying and returning these. 6 times is enough

THat's my advice.

Last edited by mac jones; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 PM   #62
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by allapon View Post
My solution is

Ditto - I have the same photo, right down to the white iPhone and white iPad, next to my recliner.

I originally bought an iPhone 3 GS to try out the Apple brand before actually sinking a ton of money into the MacBook Pro. I liked the iPhone so well that I plunked down the cash 3 months later for the MBP. I bought the original iPad on release date and actually find the iPad the most versatile of the three. Sure, it's not a phone but for me, the iPad gets the most use, then the iPhone. My MBP gets used maybe once a week. So of the three if you told me I had to give one up, it would be the MBP.

If you feel comfortable using the iPhone for reading a book, surfing the net or watching a movie, then no need for an iPad. I love the iPhone for quickly looking up something on the go, but for more than a couple of minutes at a time - give me the iPad. I look forward to trying out an iPad mini but when it comes out with the retina screen. That might even be better than the full sized iPad. I just can't go backwards from the retina.

So I definitely don't need convincing to buy an iPad but rather need just the opposite - the convincing that I don't need the latest one.
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:47 PM   #63
Black Magic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by accentaudio View Post
Best Buy have no re-stocking fees for platinum reward zone members. You know what is crazy to me, is that I have always considered myself to be an avid Apple person. Over the past 15 years I have bought dozens of devices and love them all, and yet when I look at some of the responses on threads I can understand why the Microsoft and Android guys get so pissed at the Apple "fan boys", because you all can be downright rude and condescending. As a stock owner you should be thrilled that someone is even taking the time to put so much effort into owning Apple products and be nicer to them for that...
I was in the same situation a while back with an iPhone 5 and a MacBook Pro. I could not find a need to justify buying an iPad and I always thought the price was a little high. Then came the iPad Mini. Priced reasonable and small/light.

While it hasn't replaced my MPB, it does reduce my usage on it. Perfect to have on the couch or in the bedroom while relaxing.

If you got the money, I say do it! You only live once.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:23 PM   #64
Tikatika
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4S ... All my music, text/messaging, camera, apps when out and obviously, da phone

iPad 3 ... Used at home for everything in the world except that listed above

I know it's ridiculous in light of all the problems in the world but I would hate not having both!
Tikatika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:26 PM   #65
accentaudio
macrumors regular

What is hard for me is that there are still too many websites who's content doesn't show or isn't formatted properly for iPad so I have to end up pulling out my MBP anyway. They are getting closer though. I give it another 12 months.

Last edited by accentaudio; Nov 16, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:53 PM   #66
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

I was in a sorts similar predicament, for the last 2.5yrs I've had both and found myself parking the iPhone and delegating it to nothing more then a email/phone device which hardly got used. I ended up returning my iphone5 and got a droid phone. I find with both ecosystems I get the best of both worlds and while I still love my iPad more, I like playing around in android world, so that way I can justify both. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and the 5 while nice in the hand, I knew wasn't gonna look too good after a year, the OS hadn't changed enough over the years, stable but boring. Droid brings a Swiss army knife of useful and useless features, whilst lacking the polish of apple, some are very clever and I can't wait till apple poach them and integrate into their devices.

While the mini is nice in the hand, I feel that it takes away from the iPad experience the quality that iPad retina brings to the table, although the added weight.

If you do keep iPad, your laptop will become a desktop replacement, and desktop if you got one, wont get used as much.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:30 PM   #67
atthecross
macrumors 6502

just get it, my justification is that wanted them both
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:05 PM   #68
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob View Post
Phones are still being used for voice/calls more so than texting and data by a large margin. In fact, I think data is in dead last. The main use of a phone is to make calls.
Are you stuck in a time warp and think its still 2005?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad